RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

cal32

Mar 5, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 2 (4841 views)
Shortcut

Lessons from RW for clipping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On harder sport climbs I seem to have a lot of hang ups centered around clipping. I often find I can do the moves, but do the moves and clip the route...maybe not.

I have a hard time determining can I hang on long enough to clip this or not? Do I just think I can't but I can it's just fear? It's a tough decision because as you know if you're low on the route (indoor or outdoor), or it's runout (generally only outdoor), you very well may hit the ground if you blow the clip and fall.

The only strategy I've been able to come up with so far is to not try and clip too high and if anything just keep climbing hoping for a better stance, or waist clip the damn thing. If I see that I am getting too far on a runout route, then I might just have to downclimb or take the fall at that point.

To be honest I feel like I can clip more than I think I can, it's just the...if I blow this dilema that keeps me from doing so. I like to boulder not just do routes, and my boulder grade is higher than my route grade. I think that's where some of the ability to do the moves comes from but bouldering of course doesn't prepare you for letting go with one hand and clipping.

Any lessons come to mind from the Rock Warrior that might help me here?

thanks

JoeHamilton

Aug 9, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #2 of 2 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cal32] Lessons from RW for clipping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find myself getting hit with fear, going above the last clip, wondering the same things. Can I make to the next. I think it's all part of the game. Hope someone has some more insight to offer.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook