First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shaun_parent

Nov 7, 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #1 of 32 (6993 views)
Shortcut

8th Annual Agawa Canyon Ice-Festival March 10,11,12,13 th
Report this Post
Can't Post

All aboard the Algoma Central Railway Passenger train on the morning of Friday March 10th at 9:00 am in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. We get off at Mile 112 at the Climbers Campsite and spend 4 days ice climbing the fantastic ice in the 6 mile long canyon. This is a winter camping weekend with a warm prospectors tents used for the central warm up and social scene. The NEW Agawa Canyon Ice Climbing Map will be available for those interested in side trips to Lil-Agawa and Only-17 Wall. No cost to attend this event, No Power, but maybe a small generator???
On Monday the 13th we hop aboard the train at 1:00 pm for the 4 hour journey back to Sault Ste. Marie.
contact info@northofsuperiorclimbing.com for info
see: www.agawacanyontourtrain.com for Agawa and train info

haas

Nov 7, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #2 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by haas [In reply to]
Report this Post

trix

Nov 8, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #3 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Re: 8th Annual Agawa Canyon Ice-Festival March 10,11,12,13 t [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey - are you trying to start something already on this site - get a grip. Shaun posts info for everyone about climbing and events. What does your comment have to do with Shaun's annual Agawa Ice Fest? Please knock off the ... you know what. Most of us are aware that SHAUN PARENT IS NO LONGER AT THE MAD MOOSE. These comments that appear everywhere this time of year may be one of the reasons he is no longer there. Give it a rest. If the Mad Moose has events to post - then post them. Quit trying to slam Shaun - he's the best darn instructor and climber around!
By the way, check out Shaun's New Ice Shack adjacent to the Voyageur's Lodge and Cookhouse in Batchawana Bay. You will find all the latest beta on the areas newest and biggest climbs, updated maps, guidebooks, and gear. Get out and climb and shut up if you don't have anything to contribute thats newsworthy and important to the climbing community. Peace.

joewi6

Nov 8, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #4 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What has the mad-moose and there guiding have to do with the Agawa Icefest? Most of us that have climbed up there are fully aware of the Moose and their guiding service reputation locally and regionally. HA! HA! They certainly know how to party if that what you are into.
Anyhow the fest and the canyon is awesome so check it out.
Those of you reading these posts should keep in mind the following!
Great minds Discuss Ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people

joewi6

Nov 8, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Re: 8Th Annual Agawa Canyon Ice-Festival March 10,11,12,13 t [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Would Klaus please fill us all in on the TRUE intentions of his postings above which have no relevance to the Ice Climbing Festival in Agawa Canyon.
It appears that he is trying to discredit an important figure in the Midwest Ice climbing community whom many people have come to admire and thank for years of ice development from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie.

oldrnotboldr

Nov 8, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 32 (6993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, the last time I was in the canyon, in the winter, it was -20 degrees during the day and much colder at night! There are some awesome ice climbs there though. A couple of newbies and I are thinking of joining Shaun Parent's upcoming ice fest. It's nice to see someone develop a guide book for the area and set up the climbs and guides in there. btw, people ice and rock climbed in the canyon 25 years ago. I know, I was one of them. Unfortunately, no one I used to climb with ever developed any beta, guides, or fa's for the area. All I did was second as it was my first time on ice and only had one year on rock.

Ontario is an awesome area with so much unclimbed rock. Some right next to a road, some ya gotta bush whack in to start it. The best thing of all is that most of it is on provincial land and you almost never see anyone else! I have a couple of private little spots that no one else climbs (that I have seen anyway).

Also, if anyone enjoys white water kayaking, the Agawa river gives one a superb 16 mile run with up to class 5 drops in the spring.

trix

Nov 9, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #7 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey haas - what has been your contribution to the sport of rock and ice climbing so that we can constructively criticize your contributions, aye?? Regarding the mad moose - I haven't seen any articles written in Rock & Ice, Outside Mag., or National Geo. on their accomplishments in the climbing community. Nor have they published any guidebooks or maps that I'm aware of - let us know if otherwise. We all know that Shaun's reputation and credibility stand the test of time -- he is good at what he does! Hardly think anyone in this camp is afraid of the mad moose taking business away from Shaun. Hey and your comment on Shaun top-roping FA's is outrageous. You should seriously consider psychotherapy.

sixpack

Nov 9, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #8 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:nono: HAAS "and if he was any good at what he did," Excuse me pal, you clearly do not know of what you speak. Cease and desist smearing Shaun. You have nothing to say. Do you know me?? Would you even think (can you think?) of repeating this TO me? It ends now. If you can't say any positive then say nothing. Perhaps your parents tried to teach you this. Re-learn the lesson. Shaun's trail of satisfied students, friends and experiences extend way,way back, and will extend forward. It ends now.

trix

Nov 10, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #9 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bravo Sixpack - Certainly hope to see you at the 8th Annual Agawa Canyon Ice Festival hosted by MR. SHAUN PARENT! March 10-13, 2006

trix

Nov 10, 2005, 3:57 AM
Post #10 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bravo Sixpack - certainly hope to see you at the 8th Annual Agawa Canyon Ice Festival on MARCH 10-13, 2006 - hosted by MR. SHAUN PARENT!

sixpack

Nov 10, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #11 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haas: a] Good, now that I know "haas " is your actual name, - (how was I to tell?) - know first that I am NOT Shaun, you ASSumed that, your words, not mine. My last name is O'Neill. I do this of my own accord. You too can ask around Montreal River Harbour - they know me. I know them. I've been going to that area for more than 25 years. You?

b] You ASSume a lot on this internet page, for a guy who accuses me of being "tough on the internet" - How sure really are you that I'm a "weekend warrior"; and believe me, you occupy none of my thoughts or time in a bar.

c] Your original comment was indeed pointed: you could have made your point clearly, better and non 'politically' w/o including the highly subjective comment "...hook you up better than anyone else. Shaun's original note was simply information, nothing more. (Pretty much the intent of this site I gatherYou opened the subjective nature of this thread with your reply. You own that.

d]Why are you telling me "...I free solo harder than you aight (sic) pal." Is there a point to this? Did I miss it? Should I get on my knees and exclaim "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"?

e] The reason the partnership at the Moose ended and Shaun moved on is [are] none of my business, none of your business, and in the unlikely event it is our business, your comment on the internet was and is completely uncalled for and certainly not the business of the wide readership on this site. (Speaking of tough guys on the internet again I ask you "What's up w/ YOUR comment "... if he was any good at what he does").

f] Perhaps it was just serendipitous that I joined at this time. Consider.

g] You say you were attacked. Indeed, your comment was pointed, I contest, and I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong, I won't ASSume) you knew that "The Controversy" would begin again. See point c] above again.

As well in this very short time, while clearly not knowing to whom you were referring, you have said that I (and the like) am (are): lame, uptight, afraid, troll, weekend warrior, complainer, b-t--er, actor, big guy, wanker, gumby. Once again who's trying to be tough, on the internet yet. I did not call you one name. (admitedly I did question your ability to think....but I forgive myself for that).

h] you have not responded (and I at least feel you should) to the post from "joewi6" re: your TRUE intentions. His point was well made and deserves an answer. As well you have left out any response re: your contributions to the climbing community, in the well scribed note of 'trix' (nov. 8, 6:47) Perhaps you care to now elaborate - not counting of course your contention that you can free solo what I can't TR. (I wonder how many out there are impressed with that! Perhaps I'll start a poll question ...)

You did, I admit, get One thing quite right: "...your awesome guide"
reference to Shaun.

To all concerned: This diservice to all parties stops NOW. End it. Please do not endorse it. None of us should. Life is short. It's beginning to make me sick, and I have not enough time now to be sick.

sixpack

Nov 11, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #12 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Haas, thank you for informing me that indeed you hold some caring for my opinion "...I could care less about your opinions..." - I do believe I've earned the respect - however I couldn't care less about yours. It only irks me that you seem to have a childish need to vent whatever your problem is with SP on this forum....take it up personally, not here publicly. Bye Bye now.

trix

Nov 13, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #13 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:roll: Well, well - this thread certainly shows the mentality of haas and his friends at the mad moose. You should grow up and move on. Yes, Shaun Parent is liked by respectable, professional, and truthful folks because he is respectable, professional, and truthful!!! whatever trash you want to talk about him shows your i.q. and its definitely not very high. Thanks sixpack for calling this __erk out on the carpet. Get a grip haas, because you are falling.

sixpack

Nov 14, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:righton: You're welcome Trix - good people, friends, teachers would naturally have same to rise up on the occasion to defend honour in friendship against haas style [and] ...

... and getting back can't be waiting 'til Agawa again, and all, and before New Year's Ice coming up.

sixpack

Nov 14, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trix's honest comment about Shaun being liked by respectable, truthful and proferssional people is exactly to the point haas, i.e., to correct your original negativity.

Another limb another fall.
You crack yourself up, and no one catches.
Find your own ending I'm no good friend to you.

joewi6

Nov 14, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #16 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

8th Annual Agata Canyon Ice-Festival March 10,11,12,13 th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Successful people have always received violent opposition from mediocre Minds

sixpack

Nov 14, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #17 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Re: 8th Annual Agata Canyon Ice-Festival March 10,11,12,13 t [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joewi6, Well said and how true.

lisap

Nov 14, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #18 of 32 (6993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All,

I really didnt want to get involved in this...trust me. However, I really need to stick up for The Moose and for Shaun/North of Superior Climbing.

Hass, please knock this off, you're really mis-representing The Lodge and it's not fair.

Point taken: You merely posted an alternative to North of Superior's "ad."

I'm sure The Lodge appreciates your "advertisement". However, it was posted in an inappropriate spot. This in turn brought on immediate reaction from others in the climbing community. Which you reacted to and the thread goes on...

I would hope that if The Lodge posted an event on a seperate thread that posting would be as respected as Shaun's posting should have been.

Shaun, friends, customers, potential customers, etc, please disregard the uprising Haas has created.

Just so I dont have to post again this season...I'm reaching out for support here...

North of Superior Climbing and The Mad Moose Lodge are two outstanding businesses supporting ice climbing in the North Shore region of Ontario (Someone help me here...is North Shore a proper description of the area?)

Shaun and Moose, if I'm wrong, step in here....

Shaun's primary focus is technical guiding and gear rental. He is a leader in the climbing community and a very qualified instructor. Climbed a few times, really like it? want to become an ice climber...have Shaun take you out and learn what the sport really is all about. NoSC is the place to go if you are looking for a snow-mobile rental to reach those far out climbs. Additionally, Shaun has developed a relationship with Voyageur's Lodge and cook house. I've personally never stayed there, but I hear they have outstanding food and great accomodations. I have no idea what the evenings are like...can someone please give us the run-down :) The festival lineups always sound like a lot of fun.

The Mad Moose Lodge is more beginner, ice climbing sounds pretty cool, my friends and I are looking to try something new and see what this is all about kind of place. They have a variety of accomodations and fantastic buffet style meals. They also offer gear rentals and intro ice classes. Evenings are often shared as a community. They have a campfire, sauna, and the Main Lodge generally has a movie, some slideshows, or some card or board games being enjoyed amongst guests. Sometimes there's a musical twist and the guitars and harmonicas come out for an evening of music.

Both businesses are in close proximity to ice climbs. Both have loyal customers that return to their favorite home crag time and time again. They talk about and promote that area because they love the positive energy the place and environment gives them. That's awesome, and I hope it continues...but lets be excited about both places, or at least let each person be excited about their favorites.

Mile 38, which is very close to North of Superior Climbing, has a lot of newly developed climbs, and from the sounds of things, more routes to be discovered! Routes are long, there is great opportunity for multi-pitch climbing. (Is there top-rope opportunty?)

Montreal River Harbour has a lot of classic routes. You'll find primarily 1 pitch climbs. Not a lead climber yet or is the season late and the ice too unsafe for a screw? You'll find that you can easily hang a top-rope off many of these climbs in the area too.

One area is not all around better than the other...it depends on your objective. You're objective might even change as you mature into a climber. It's okay.

There's a lot of ice, and a lot of climbers.

Cant wait for this season!

trix

Nov 17, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #19 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The correct quote regarding violent opposition is from Albert Einstein "Great spirits have always encountered violent oppposition from mediocre minds"!

Another great quote is from Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove any doubt" == and I am not referring to Shaun or the Mad Moose remaining silent because I think its best for them to remain silent.

dynosore

Nov 17, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #20 of 32 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the heck is going on up there? I'm a pretty new climber from Michigan, and all the bickering and trash talking have made me reluctant to climb in the N of Superior area, it seems everyone I've met who has climbed up there is either rabidly pro or anti Shaun. Can't people just climb? I've met and talked with Shaun, and he was very knowledgable and helpful, at least respect his contributions if you don't agree with him personally. We're a pretty small community of climbers in the Midwest, seems like we would all want to get along.

Andrew

msuclimber

Nov 17, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #21 of 32 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Haas mentioned one other company and everyone went crazy. I don't think he meant anything by it, he even said he respected Shaun's routes in South America. Trix seems like he/she is still trying to keep the arguement going when Haas has been upfront and even says who he is, while trix is anonymous. Why doesn't anyone address that Shaun claimed first ascents on toprope? That seems unethical to me personally, but I guess I don't know the locals that well.

And to be honest, the climbing up there is nothing special. Maybe everyone gets in a tuff because we do live in the Midwest so we are passionate about what little rock we have (or don't have for that matter), but there is much better stuff to climb out there. Especially if you are from the LP. People going to MSU can reach ice in Pennsylvania in just as long of a drive as to up in Canada. I didn't like the Mad Moose personally. I think they came off as a bunch of drunks and had a little clique(sp?) even though they are a business, and I'm not psyched on the toprope scene up there. I also must side with Haas in that I did not like Shaun only because of his attitude. I don't have anything personal against him so don't all go attacking me too, but I thought he was rude during my conversations with him. I only talked to him in the lodge. I'm a competent ice climber so I never took a course with him so I cannot say one way or another about his services.

It's funny how crazy this thread is for an event that doesn't take place for another 4 months. Is there even any climable ice up there yet?

-Steve

snoman

Nov 18, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #22 of 32 (4910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sixpack don't worry my ankle is fine and I won't be do any funky chickens.:) I have never heard of SP doing F.A's on toprope. I have heard of rope solo and numerous solo's of Grade 3-3+'s. As many are aware the mile 38 routes most are too long and too difficult to set up top ropes......I am not going to get into all of posts below so all I will say is Panama Wall, Moose Mountain, Ranwich wall, South Bay, Mile 38, Ice mountain, etc. etc. etc. "most of these routes" were found by/developed by one person...Minus a few F.A's from other people of course....Sixpack and myself being some of them. Hey Trix....See you all soon. Where would we be without Icefest 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? Many good times and lots of friends. I believe or I could be wrong Icefest 1 and 2 were held at some place called The Trails End Lodge? I am happy to say I have only missed one of these icefests. Groups of the usual suspects of course. Anyhow, it is snowing and lets think about climbing ice and mixing are drinks to some good times.

sixpack

Nov 18, 2005, 2:54 PM
Post #23 of 32 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snoman, long time and tis the season, well almost. Glad to read ankle is good 8^) You're right of course, the idea suggested that Shaun would claim TR 1st ascents is patently ridiculous, and all those - and there are many - who know him know that the notion is absurd. And of course we all know SP is responsible for the great majority of FAs in the areas you mentioned. And to that end also for the development too, a hard, long, grinding exploratory process that allows the rest of us in the climbing community to enjoy all of these great climbs North of Superior. For that I personally and publicly thank him. I have participated in some rock development now and have come to appreciate all the work that must go into it.
So now let's get up to Icefest and climb. Can't wait to see friends and aquaintances from all the Fests; God willing I'll make it up yet again, so that I can say I have not missed one !! Trix, Snoman, SP, et al, hang in there, watch the driving - the most dangerous part of climbing in my opinion - so that we may all again enjoy Superior ice in Northern Ontario.

trix

Nov 18, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #24 of 32 (6943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D Hey all you friends from past Ice Fests - I'm really excited to see you all and climb ice! Good to hear from old friends! We have over 12 inches of snow and its still falling. Ice should be forming or perhaps it already is on Mile 38 and other areas near Batchawana Bay?? Anyone out there able to give us an update on weather conditions and/or ice???

sixpack

Nov 18, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #25 of 32 (6942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there, 12 inches of snow...even though I am "up in Canada" I am in fact south of your area, and am majorly keen on seeing some snow...it is getting closer finally...ENJOY it all!!! Let the ice grow, let it grow, let it grow :!: Am fully expecting to be on ice at Christmas/New Year's there and looking forward to friends and partners from all around converging again for a super time at Batchewana Bay on The Big Lake. A nice "warm up" for the Fests...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook