Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Colorado Contingent -- September 2004 Rock Fest
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

wanderinfree

Sep 14, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #351 of 373 (18075 views)
Shortcut

Re: Colorado Contingent -- September 2004 Rock Fest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to add in my thanks to everyone I met Sat/Sun. Nice to meet new friends and future climbing partners. :D Great beer on Sat and fun climbs on Sunday. And while I'd like to promise that next time I'll keep my wimpering to a minimum....ummmmm.... All I can say is "wow! Those holds were shredders." To you guys who led that "10.b wtf," you are my heros.

Tracy--Don't worry about the 10.c. I'm taking full advantage of the "we'll start with that one next time" excuse. To you and Reno, Red Rocks will be a blast.

Thanks again everyone!

--Kim

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 3:02 AM
Post #352 of 373 (18075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugh. sorry that i missed everyone. i am lame and hope that you can forgive my lazy butt for not getting out of bed in time to catch the cool train.

reno

Sep 14, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #353 of 373 (18075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Home... back to the heat, dryness, cactii, and flat Valley of the Sun. I left Boulder about 3 hours ago, and I wish I had taken Ron and Frank up on their offer. :cry:

Ron: I am so glad I got to climb with you again. A better friend I could never find... Stay true, brother.

Frank: Had a great time feeding on your energy and enthusiasm... I'm so glad you enjoyed the climbing.

Jeremy/Kim: J, it was good to see ya again after so long... still climbing strong. Kim, you didn't whine too much. We've all heard worse. See ya in RedRocks for Thanksgiving. I'll bring the turkey sandwiches.

Jeff (the Elder): More thanks for the incredible camp food. Fresh baked cornbread, burgers, eggs, hashbrowns, and pancakes... Wow. I had relegated myself to eating Ramen and baked beans until you brought forth a culinary delight.

Tracy: My partner... So happy to rope up with you again. Let's do Vegas, baby!

Nate: Deepest gratitude for the place to crash, the solid belays, and the warm beer Sunday afternoon.

Scott: Best of luck with the RockNap Rating System I think it could become as popular as the Yosemite Decimal System. I'll get that pic to you ASAP.

Sandbag: Your beer gets better and better with each passing gathering. Mmmmm... Stout.

Sharpie: Next time, we get a better map.

Kcrag: Muchas Gracias for the ride to Shelf, the couch, and the wake up call.

Judson/Alyssa: I'll holler at ya this winter, and we'll ski Steamboat.

Anyone I forgot or overlooked: I'm sorry, but it was great. Thanks to all for making me miss Colorado that much more. Now I just HAVE to move back...

(Pictures will be posted as soon as I can.)

steamboatclimber

Sep 16, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #354 of 373 (18075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry Reno, I won't try to pressure you into skiing our mountian. :roll:

steamboatclimber

Sep 17, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #355 of 373 (18090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I say we ALL go to Steamboat, then we ALL come back to Winter Park!

So many resorts, so little time.........

Can't argue with that

Partner nextascent

Sep 17, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #356 of 373 (18090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mmmmm ski...I'm starting to dream about it regularly! Ok skibabeage and steamboatclimber, I'm really , really jealous :cry:

As usual, I'll pull the kid outta school and hit opening day (yes, the school can kiss my arse, he never misses it otherwise) then try like hell to get more days than last year.

Hey, out of curiousity, why aren't there ski mentors like there are climbing mentors? Is it a $ thing? I'll be damned if I can find awesome skiers to help me nail the steeps and lose the "fear". I'm solid on groomers and some single blacks (don't call me a pansy haha) but I wanna go back country and the bowls.

Damn sorry...I got sidetracked!

redpointron

Sep 17, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #357 of 373 (18090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the trip is winding down...

a report will follow...

crashing at rocknap's place...

r.r.

shorty

Sep 17, 2004, 1:44 PM
Post #358 of 373 (18090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, out of curiousity, why aren't there ski mentors like there are climbing mentors?
Skiing is such a simple concept. There are only 3 things you can do to turn a ski -- change its edge angle, change its pressure, or twist it. The trick is learning how to do these 3 things while moving at up to freeway speeds on an unpredictable and unstable surface.

After 3 decades of pounding bumps, bashing gates, and floating through the uncut; after countless clinics and hours of video tape analysis; in short order I can tell what's going well (or not) will almost anyone between a rank beginner and a World Cup champion.

But will I try to teach people to ski? No way. I've never been taught how to teach. Teaching skiing is &#%$ hard!

Nevertheless, I have little problem offering to teach newbies to climb, even though my climbing experience and skills pale in comparison to my skiing (a truly sad statement for those unfortunate enough to make some turns with me). Maybe it boils down to the fact that I have enough mileage under my suspenders to know I suck at skiing. Maybe I haven't been around long enough yet to learn that same lesson in climbing.

One valuable ski lesson I've learned from coaches -- after a few years of skiing, most people know how to edge, weight, and twist skis. The location of our center of mass (think bellybutton) determines how well we use our skis as tools. Drive your bellybutton forward and down the hill, and your feet will have no choice but to follow. Martial arts, pilates, and balance drills do wonders for skiing.

And remember -- turning is everything. Any idiot can go fast straight down a steep slope. An expert can accelerate while making tight turns on an agonizingly flat bunny hill.

killclimbz

Sep 17, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #359 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mmmmm ski...I'm starting to dream about it regularly! Ok skibabeage and steamboatclimber, I'm really , really jealous :cry:

As usual, I'll pull the kid outta school and hit opening day (yes, the school can kiss my arse, he never misses it otherwise) then try like hell to get more days than last year.

Hey, out of curiousity, why aren't there ski mentors like there are climbing mentors? Is it a $ thing? I'll be damned if I can find awesome skiers to help me nail the steeps and lose the "fear". I'm solid on groomers and some single blacks (don't call me a pansy haha) but I wanna go back country and the bowls.

Damn sorry...I got sidetracked!

Teaching skiing is sooo much harder than teaching climbing. Especially on a (There are no friends on a powder day)powder day. Really the only way to get good at the stuff you are talking about, is just like climbing. Go do it. Sure it can suck at first, but the more you do it the more you figure it out. Before you know it, you are comfortable in bowls and steeps. Backcountry skills can be taught though the ability to ride some of the terrain is going to be up to you. I'm going exclusively backcountry this year, mostly due to lack of funds, but then again I don't ride at resorts as much as I used to anyway.
If you want to do some backcountry send me a pm. A good time to learn is early season. The old ski area at Berthoud Pass provides a great place to learn with mostly ski resort style runs. You can definitely get your groove on there and move on to surrounding areas as you get comfortable.

mother_sheep

Sep 17, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #360 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I so need to learn how to ski!!!! I really want to incorporate skiing into my climbing endeavors. Any suggestions on where the best place is to take lessons? I took a boarding lesson a couple of years ago at Keystone. But I think skiing would give me more options in the backcountry. I'm interested in learning to tele someday.

killclimbz

Sep 17, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #361 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I so need to learn how to ski!!!! I really want to incorporate skiing into my climbing endeavors. Any suggestions on where the best place is to take lessons? I took a boarding lesson a couple of years ago at Keystone. But I think skiing would give me more options in the backcountry. I'm interested in learning to tele someday.

I think all of the resorts do a good job. There are usually some great learn to ski/ride deals in the beginning of the season. I know Winterpark and Copper usually do some cheap ones.
As far as skiing giving you more options in the backcountry it really just depends on which one you are more comfortable with. I think you are in the position of not really knowing either sport. So take a ski lesson, then take a snowboard lesson. Typically snowboarding is easier to get over the learning curve, but more painful. With snowboarding you could conceivably be comfortable on black diamond terrain by the end of the season. Skiing takes a while longer, but you don't get as black and blue.
Splitboards are great in the bc and pretty much give you access to anything a skier can get to. You can even ride with AT boots, allowing you to strap on crampons and such. Either way you are going to have to get some sort of BC outfit. Split board or ski's with AT bindings. Tele just seems to be too much work to me, but hey if you like it go for it.

steamboatclimber

Sep 17, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #362 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting down the hill is the easy part, stopping at the bottom is the hard part to learn.

mother_sheep

Sep 17, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #363 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Getting down the hill is the easy part, stopping at the bottom is the hard part to learn.

Stop, drop and roll?

Oh wait, that's what you do when you're on fire. Hmmmm. . . Or when you're roller blading.

reno

Sep 17, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #364 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my climbing experience and skills pale in comparison to my skiing (a truly sad statement for those unfortunate enough to make some turns with me). Maybe it boils down to the fact that I have enough mileage under my suspenders to know I suck at skiing.

Shorty, I've climbed with you several times, and I've skiied with you once.

Shall I call B.S. now, or wait a bit? You tanned my hide all day long in WP this past Jan. 1st.

So... Winter trip: Ski at Steamboat and WP, then go climbing the Fang in Vail and Lincoln Falls. Inbetween, soaking in Hot Sulphur Springs.

Not a bad vacation...

Who's in??

Partner nextascent

Sep 18, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #365 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah ok it's immediately apparent that there are quite a few skiers who could show me a thing or two! :P So Shorty, if we don't call it "teaching" can I (try) ski with you and perhaps get some pointers?

Killclimbz..I'll pm ya when I see more snow thx!

Reno...sounds like and awesome trip.

Tracy...you'd make an awesome ski bunny!!!! :wink: Lending to Shorty's comments about not being an instructor I'll not say I'll teach you but I'll take you any time you like. By the way, I have to see if those boots will fit you and you could use that gear I told ya about.

Judson and Skibabeage...I'm still jealous!

fanederhand

Sep 18, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #366 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello from Marietta, Georgia.

Met the wife and son Anthonie who arrived earlier from SLC, UT at the Atlanta Airport and made the 40 mile drive home. Got in this morning just after Midnight. What a great trip. Just got back and want to do it again type trip!! Had a great time everyone. Many many many thanks to you all.

This is a short list of the climbs the past week.

9/10 Friday ... (fly to Colorado) Shelf Road ... 3 routes
9/11 Saturday ... Shelf Road ... 10 routes
9/12 Sunday ... Shelf Road ... 6 routes
9/13 Monday ... Eldo Rewritten (Great Zot start)
9/14 Tuesday ... Mount Evans North Face 5 pitch alpine climb
9/15 Wednesday ... James Peak hike
9/16 Thursday ... Monistary ... 2 routes
9/17 Friday ... 1st Flatiron ... 8 pitches (Fly to Georgia)

:D :D :D Yahoooooo Colorado Rocks !!! :D

Starting to make plans to return in 2005 !!!

shorty

Sep 18, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #367 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So Shorty, if we don't call it "teaching" can I ski with you and perhaps get some pointers?
No problemo. I'll hit the slopes soon after they open, as our first GS is on December 11. And don't expect any world-cup form to emulate by being my wingman -- I'm a lo-o-o-ng way behind the big boys in our race league (contrary to what Reno might state).

rocknap

Sep 20, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #368 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Props to all for a fantastic weekend and full week. Ron and Frank, you guys are animals!! For those of you that haven't heard, Frank lead the Great Zot start to Rewritten (my favorite Eldo moderate) in style. Frank also swapped leads with me on the 2nd Apron of Evans. That really became adventurous when it started snowing on the summit ridge. Good 'ole Rocknap decided to tackle a multipitch 14'er in September with a fleece jacket, rainshell top, camelback, and sandals. So I learned a new lesson for alpine climbing: when you plan on wearing sandals on a 14'er, socks are highly recommended (thanks Ron!).

Also, for all you who were tweaked over the Eldo fire, it's out now. So much for uncontrolled controlled burns...

And finally, the Rock Napping Scale (RNS) consists of zero to five stars, where zero draws blood and five is a "fitted" napping spot. Hazards such as exposure are subjective and do not factor in. However, objective hazards such as rockfall or giant-wobbly-boulder-on-the-lip-of-a-big-wall can warrant a F or VF suffix (Foolish or Very Foolish). As I come across good examples, I'll post them for nap beta. Stay tuned..

Can't wait for next summer's Alpine Fiasco gathering! Let's get planning!

-s

neph

Sep 21, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #369 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And the much awaited picture:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=39929

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=39929

fanederhand

Sep 21, 2004, 2:32 PM
Post #370 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can't wait for next summer's Alpine Fiasco gathering! Let's get planning!

-s

This time I will plan on two weeks so I can get all the alpine climbs I missed this trip. hello ... Petite Grepon, Kieners and Black Canyon!! here I come. 8^)

How does June 27th 2005 sound to everyone :wink:

OH nice picture mother_sheep and neph.

mother_sheep

Sep 21, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #371 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ewwww! I'm gross!

coclimber26

Sep 24, 2004, 4:02 PM
Post #372 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this talk of skiing is making my mouth water...If anyone needs an early season partner let me know. (backcountry or whatever)

nextascent I still haven't forgotten about the skis. If you are going to shelf this Sat we can hash it out.

killclimbz

Sep 24, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #373 of 373 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All this talk of skiing is making my mouth water...If anyone needs an early season partner let me know. (backcountry or whatever)

nextascent I still haven't forgotten about the skis. If you are going to shelf this Sat we can hash it out.

I am definitely into the backcountry thing. We'll have to get out. I almost went up yesterday to Berthoud pass. I heard on some other sites that there was about a foot of fresh up there (on top of rocks and dirt of course) and that the west side was decent. Next round of snow and I will have to get up there.

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook