Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Dec 29, 2003, 5:59 AM
Post #1 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Gathering???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know there was some talk about having a garther sometime in like october. What ever happened to that? It sounded like a good idea to me, and would have liked to meet some other climbers from good ol' MT, so i think we should have one this spring, seeing as how its winter now. Just a thought. Peace.

-hsoj-

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 29, 2003, 6:03 AM
Post #2 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gathering??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the Events & Gatherings Forum... If there is one, it will be there.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 29, 2003, 7:14 AM
Post #3 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And you can always organize your own. I did that earlier this year and had the best few days of the summer, even though the amount of people from this site that live up here is rather limited. ;)

fredo

Dec 29, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It started out as an idea I had sometime in the midle of JUne or July. I had posted a few times and got mixed responses, but it seemed that all thought it was a good idea. I was just waiting on everyone to add a little feedback about dates, time of year, location. Then in August I broke my ankle in a fall. I once again posted and said that since I would not be climbing that I would show up where everyone decided to meet and just be a belay slave, and drink beer. It never went anywhere from there. I was kinda bummed but everyone has there own thing going on so it was cool. We should try again this summer. Since there is some more time to plan it could be a bigger event.

atpeaceinbozeman

Dec 29, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Count me in.

Let's choose a location, and maybe try to iron out a date so I can be in the state.

personally I am going to bum out in tahoe with lightrack and my oldest brother for most of may, but besides that not much else is planned. so maybe june sometime? or pearhaps early may if we are feeling burly. Hey I was climbing in squaw creek 5 times this december, so Im sure I could handle it in may. :)

Tom

blgsrcks

Dec 30, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #6 of 26 (10455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman

Dec 31, 2003, 1:01 AM
Post #7 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why not have more than one gathering? It could be at a different place every couple of weeks with the locals as the hosts.

I like that idea, Im down to host/organize some sort of bozeman gathering, perferably in the gallatins...not so sure about camping though, but there is some actual car-camping sites within a few miles in each direction. Actually if camping was based between squaw creek and gallatin tower there would be options to trad or sport, since squaw and the gallatins are within 5 or so miles of each other there could be groups going to both areas...interested?

Tom

fredo

Dec 31, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #8 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why not have more than one gathering? It could be at a different place every couple of weeks with the locals as the hosts.

I like that idea, Im down to host/organize some sort of bozeman gathering, perferably in the gallatins...not so sure about camping though, but there is some actual car-camping sites within a few miles in each direction. Actually if camping was based between squaw creek and gallatin tower there would be options to trad or sport, since squaw and the gallatins are within 5 or so miles of each other there could be groups going to both areas...interested?

Tom

This all sounds cool to me. Not sure what my summer plans are, I may be moving to Bozeman sometime in May depending on my wifes' Nursing School commitments. Anyway if I am in Missoula what month would work for everyone, what type of climbing etc..

fred

fredo

Jan 14, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #9 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Tom

This all sounds cool to me. Not sure what my summer plans are, I may be moving to Bozeman sometime in May depending on my wifes' Nursing School commitments. Anyway if I am in Missoula what month would work for everyone, what type of climbing etc..

fred

This just in...Spent a few days in Bozeman with the family, really nice town, it was the first time I spent more than a few hours there. Anyway, it does not look as if we are going to move there this year so I can get the ball rolling from the Missoula side of things. PM me or post so we can decide, when where and what

fred

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 14, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #10 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

This just in...Spent a few days in Bozeman with the family, really nice town, it was the first time I spent more than a few hours there. Anyway, it does not look as if we are going to move there this year so I can get the ball rolling from the Missoula side of things. PM me or post so we can decide, when where and what

fred

My vote is late june/early july for missoula

I have climbed at kootenia canyon once, and I really enjoyed it, but I am not sure what the camping options would be...The lolo hotsprings area could be a good option too, perhaps even some natural hot spring soaking could go on. Where do you think would the best options for climbing and camping? Do have any personal favorites Fred?

Tom

fredo

Jan 14, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #11 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

fred

I have climbed at kootenia canyon once, and I really enjoyed it, but I am not sure what the camping options would be...The lolo hotsprings area could be a good option too, perhaps even some natural hot spring soaking could go on. Where do you think would the best options for climbing and camping? Do have any personal favorites Fred?

Tom

fredo

Jan 14, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #12 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

fred

Tom

Depends on the type of climbing everyone wants to do. Kootenai has a good selection of upper end sport stuff and some nice trad classics. Blodgett canyon has some upper end sport climbing near the trailhead and campground and some nice long trad routes a few miles up the canyon. Lolo has an abudance of climbing spread out over a nice area with camping pretty much at the crags. I really enjoy Lolo as it is normally less crowded and is in a beautiful setting. Drummond has some nice Limestone Sport climbs with accessable camping. Personally, depending on how long people want to stay and climb, I think Lolo would be nice. If this goes over a few days, all involved could camp at a somewhat central location and venture out and back each day. June/July is cool with me.

Fred

fredo

Jan 16, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #13 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thinking about my last post, well actually the last day or so..anyway I see a problem. LIke most areas in MT Missoula is pretty diverse in it's climbing. Personally there are days when I just want to head to Lolo, there are tons of nice out of the way spots to climb with the only hassle being a bit of a drive along a forest service road. For convenience and great climbing Kootenai can not be beat, but it can be crowded, especially on weekends. Long trad, head to Blodgett, but keep in mind the easiest technical route goes at 5.8, most start at 5.10 (there are a few 5.5's but are more of a slab scramble). So in line with my last post I think it may be best to find a spot we can all camp at that will allow access to all this area has to offer. eg. Lolo granite is differnt in texture, crack configuration etc that in Kootenai. Mulkey and Rattler Gulch have sharp and polished limestone. Just rambling but just want to toss this all out there.
Also of importance is the post climb watering hole. Regardless of the climbing area, that should not be a problem.. :D

fred

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 16, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #14 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Fred the more you write about Lolo the better it's sounding, so my vote is in.

What do others think?

Is there are others out there with some dates/locations in mind for this? I think that maybe doing a thrus-monday could be a good time, and then the weekend warriors could show up for a day or so too. I personally plan on climbing most of my summer away, so I'm pretty flexable. So maybe June 24-28?

I'm stoked on some Montana touring though. It should be a good ole time. When do people want to check out the Gallatins? When are we going to Stone hill?

Tom

fredo

Jan 18, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #15 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well Fred the more you write about Lolo the better it's sounding, so my vote is in.

What do others think?

Is there are others out there with some dates/locations in mind for this? I think that maybe doing a thrus-monday could be a good time, and then the weekend warriors could show up for a day or so too. I personally plan on climbing most of my summer away, so I'm pretty flexable. So maybe June 24-28?

I'm stoked on some Montana touring though. It should be a good ole time. When do people want to check out the Gallatins? When are we going to Stone hill?

Tom

COOL!!! That weekend is fine for me so until others chime in with hays or nays we can plan on doing it then. As the date approaches I'll try and find some suitable camping spots to accomodate all who plan to come. As for the Gallatins..how is week after 4th of July, I believe that is the 8th-11th... sound for you Tom? Stone Hill is really nice in early Autumn, if given enough fwd notice I can work just about any time into my schedule. WOO HOO

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 21, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #16 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

July 8-11 in the Gallatins sounds good to me.

How about others out there?

lightrack

Jan 22, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #17 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm up for all of this...

blgsrcks

Jan 24, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #18 of 26 (10455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok

atpeaceinbozeman

Feb 9, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #19 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So here's some more thought for Gallatin camping... Greek Creek is pay camping about 2 or 3 miles past the main trad routes, plus according to Lightrack there is a"heady 5.6" face route right up the hill @ greek creek, which could make for a nice warm up/down...

Any thoughts?

any others planning on checking out these MT gatherings?

fredo

Feb 10, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #20 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So here's some more thought for Gallatin camping... Greek Creek is pay camping about 2 or 3 miles past the main trad routes, plus according to Lightrack there is a"heady 5.6" face route right up the hill @ greek creek, which could make for a nice warm up/down...

Any thoughts?

any others planning on checking out these MT gatherings?

That sounds cool to me. A pay site may accomodate a larger group tents plus has a fire ring etc.. Could be a little more family friendly. I may bring the missus and the little one. That all depends on how well they travel/camp earlier in the summer.

zeviddalop

Feb 24, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #21 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm up for july 8 - 11 in the gallatin.

wmadavison

Mar 4, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #22 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello
Fred just mention to me about the gathering. I sounds good to me to
July 8-11 would work out fine for me.
Alex

fredo

Mar 23, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #23 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

.......bump........ :D

vvanderpool

Mar 24, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #24 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So maybe June 24-28?

Works for me Fred, I was planning on coming east around that time anyway...
Thanks!

fredo

Mar 25, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #25 of 26 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So maybe June 24-28?

Works for me Fred, I was planning on coming east around that time anyway...
Thanks!

your welcome..keep me posted on the travel plans...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook