Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

corson

Mar 25, 2008, 9:33 AM
Post #26 of 51 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epicsaga] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ummm...Aparently you didn't read the OP. This thread is about international health insurance. Any health insurance policy is void outside the country.Before you leave you must purchase supplimental insurance that covers rock and or alpine climbing.How will they know?Ummm maybe the 15,000$ bill from YOSAR. But having traveled to 19 countries to climb, you already knew that. Right. How will they know? The newspaper article about the american who had to be carried an hour down from Ceuse with a broken ankle then driven to Gap then flown to Nice for surgury. Oh and then there is the bill. You should save your rants for stuff you know about.

C

epicsaga

Mar 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #27 of 51 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corson] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Corson you have no idea what you're babbling about. I have a health insurance policy with the card in my wallet that is good anywhere on the planet. It will pay to evacuate me back home from anywhere as well as for other costs. Costs me less then $100 USD per year.

epicsaga

Mar 25, 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #28 of 51 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage $10,000
Lifetime Max. For eligible charges for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country.
$250 deductible.

corson

Mar 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #29 of 51 (4842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont babble. What company did oy usay your policy is with?

itstoearly

Mar 25, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #30 of 51 (4839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

EvilMonkey wrote:
In reply to:
Don't feel morally wrong about lying to an insurance company, as they are some of the least ethical and immoral companies on the planet. Insurance companies have a long history of denying valid claims to make a buck.
f%@kin a, man. you said it! i never make claims, yet my premium's always on the rise.

Stopping to their level is never the best thing to do. All lying will do is make their immoral practices seem justified (well we have to pinch pennies to cover all the claims where people lied to us). If your company illegally screws you over, you can take them to court. If you think your company will do that, or they have a track record of doing that, find another company.

EvilMonkey

Mar 25, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #31 of 51 (4824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [itstoearly] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

itstoearly wrote:
EvilMonkey wrote:
In reply to:
Don't feel morally wrong about lying to an insurance company, as they are some of the least ethical and immoral companies on the planet. Insurance companies have a long history of denying valid claims to make a buck.
f%@kin a, man. you said it! i never make claims, yet my premium's always on the rise.

Stopping to their level is never the best thing to do. All lying will do is make their immoral practices seem justified (well we have to pinch pennies to cover all the claims where people lied to us). If your company illegally screws you over, you can take them to court. If you think your company will do that, or they have a track record of doing that, find another company.
congrats on taking the moral high ground. why don't you go do a public service announcement. i do what i've gotta do, so go preach your crap about taking a moral high ground somewhere else.

reno

Mar 25, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #32 of 51 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EvilMonkey wrote:
itstoearly wrote:
congrats on taking the moral high ground. why don't you go do a public service announcement. i do what i've gotta do, so go preach your crap about taking a moral high ground somewhere else.

Well, at least you're honest about lying.

Crazy

Partner jammer

Mar 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #33 of 51 (4818 views)
Shortcut

Re:Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Three years ago, I was bouldering, pealed of the top and broke my ankle. At the hospital, I was told that I would need a pin. The insurance covered everything. I have no idea what they told the insurance company to get it covered, but they covered it all. Then again, I am not talking about a broken back, neck or being paralyzed.

Partner alexmac

Apr 1, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #34 of 51 (4750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epicsaga wrote:
Apparently many of you are either lawyers, detectives or insurance experts. Or do you hold a lot of stock in insurance companies. I've never heard of any policy denying skiing/boarding claims-given how popular those sports are the company would lose a huge amount of business.
If the insurance company doesn't in writing in the policy refuse to cover an activity, it should be covered. There are 100s of potentially hazardous high risk activities in daily life, and they need to explicitly state which ones are not covered for it to be legal to deny the claim. Unless witnesses to the accident confess to the insurance investigator what exactly happened, how are they going to learn the true cause of the accident? Don't feel morally wrong about lying to an insurance company, as they are some of the least ethical and immoral companies on the planet. Insurance companies have a long history of denying valid claims to make a buck.

I am sorry, you obvviously have no clue?

Are you a lawyer, insurance expert ?

I have fact checked my own with both a lawyer and an insurance expert.

Your advice is factually incorrect, criminal in that you advise others to commit fraud and just stupid as anyone who gets their insurance invalidated by your advice can't actually seek damages from you for being equally stupid.

epicsaga

Apr 5, 2008, 7:07 AM
Post #35 of 51 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who thinks that insurance companies don't routinely defraud, lie, cheat and steal from their customers, as well as knowingly and illegally deny paying valid claims or stall on paying them long enough for their customers to either give up or die, is a naive, ill informed fool. Often insurance companies will NOT pay your legal valid claim in full and quickly without a fight. Canadians: you have no clue how the American system works.

(This post was edited by epicsaga on Apr 5, 2008, 7:13 AM)

corson

Apr 5, 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #36 of 51 (4653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude your a wanker! Go scratch your way up 5.10 and shut the hell up. People like you are why access issues exist. Dork!

And if you think $10,000 is sufficient coverage you are an idiot too. On top of an already questionable character. Helicopter e-vacs start at more than that. Surgeries ? Most OR's run 2500-5000 and hour. 1 hour Min. Anesthesiologist? not uncommon for that to be a $5000 bill right there.

(This post was edited by corson on Apr 5, 2008, 11:00 AM)

Partner alexmac

Apr 5, 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #37 of 51 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epicsaga , wow you are truely dumb, next you will be saying that 911 never happened, troops are not in iraq and all that war money is going to big business.

Anyway, my fact checking included the united states for insurance just so you know and I checked with a lawyer and an Actuary.

Lie on your insurance, get caught, get denied and any claims on that policy rolled back. This would mean that if you have your drug plan attached to the same insurance they would take any claims against it and for their money back.

Anyway, there is over in another thread a Accident in Calgary where the man fell to his death and can't afford to send his body home.

tempo36

Apr 11, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #38 of 51 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PandaUSA] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having just finished a stint working at a federal prison...did you know that insurance fraud is considered a federal crime? Because of the nature of insurance it is considered an inter-state event, therefore federal jurisdiction.

So remember, if you lie on your insurance and you do get caught...you can be prosecuted relatively heavily if they choose.

PandaUSA

Apr 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #39 of 51 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The issue I had was getting any insurance company to cover me because I had already left my country of residence. UK companies wouldn't insure me for this reason, US companies weren't keen to insure me because I'm not a resident here and don't have a social security number.

However, I have been skiing, ice climbing and rock climbing now, all legally covered, with nothing concealed on my part. How? I went to a company in the UK and pleaded, saying that I completely understood that I would not get ongoing cover in the US should I have an accident. If I was injured then i would be repatriated under their insurance and then get continuing treatment in the UK under the NHS, as if I had bought the insurance in the UK, prior to any flights. This does mean that in the event of an accident I would have to say sod it to work, but this was the best option. But I was honest all along, concealed nothing and as a result got more than adequate cover for the same premium as I'd have paid at home.

Thanks for all your posts - fortunately I am now able to do the things I love and feel comfortable that I won't be facing crippling bills but might have to sweet talk my bosses!

AltitudeJunkie

Apr 14, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #40 of 51 (4569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PandaUSA] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ummm..... i never answered any questions about risky behavior.
other than the normal stuff about having sex and smoking and using drugs... that stuff. i don't recall ever having to divulge any information about me being a climber/mountaineer. if i break my arm climbing does that mean i can say i fell off my bike? or fell down the stairs?

Cadmus

Jan 15, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #41 of 51 (4239 views)
Shortcut

INTERNATIONAL/TRAVELER health insurance. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a US citizen. My Blue Cross will cover emergency room and ambulance in foreign countries but not ICU, outpatient or normal doctor visits.

I need international health insurance for only 3 weeks. need it soon. Going to Chile.

ihi Bupa covers everything but professional motorsports. The Danish are apparently better at statistics than the American insurance companies who exclude hang gliding and rock climbing despite our safety record. Unfortunately it is >$140 for 3 weeks.

I need something cheaper. The whole trip is below $1K. I found some for 30-50 but they all exclude climbing.

What have people used. High deductible is fine. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

I spent 6 hours looking and i am sick of reading those stuffy policies. I will post any others that i find.
Pete

climbingaz

Jan 15, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #42 of 51 (4206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Cadmus] INTERNATIONAL/TRAVELER health insurance. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do recall my life insurance policy asking about "mountain climbing", but nothing about "rock climbing".

In my mind, those are two very distinct activities. Since I don't plan to do any mountain climbing, I did not answer that section.

I wonder if I "lied" in the eyes of the insurance company?

raingod

Jan 15, 2010, 8:58 PM
Post #43 of 51 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epicsaga wrote:
... Canadians: you have no clue how the American system works.

Actually we do, thats why we prefer our system.

Other than that I agree with you. Lie to the insurance company and they will find out and then you are screwed.

raingod

Jan 15, 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #44 of 51 (4189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaz] INTERNATIONAL/TRAVELER health insurance. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaz wrote:
I do recall my life insurance policy asking about "mountain climbing", but nothing about "rock climbing".

In my mind, those are two very distinct activities. Since I don't plan to do any mountain climbing, I did not answer that section.

I wonder if I "lied" in the eyes of the insurance company?

Possibly, when I recently bought life insurance I was asked the same question, and when I responded no but I do rockclimb I spent the next half hour explaining rockclimbing after which they lumped me into the high risk category. After a few weeks of negotiation I'm back in the same lower risk category as skiiers.

other

Jan 17, 2010, 6:38 AM
Post #45 of 51 (4156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corson] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alexmac, tempo and corson, you are truly tools of the international insurance lobby. Thanks for dispensing such evil, misguided and ignorant advice.

other

Jan 17, 2010, 7:02 AM
Post #46 of 51 (4153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [other] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Corson, cover up those ridiculous tattoos and that bird chest. Keep your shirt on.

USnavy

Jan 17, 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #47 of 51 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

durangoclimber wrote:
I spent 6 years working in hospital admin right out of school. My main function was dealing with HMO's and contractual agreements. My advice? When you are hurt climbing, have your friends cut off your harness and throw it in the bushes. You were hurt "hiking" in the woods. HMO's (and health insurance in general) is very crafty at denying injuries incured while participating in "extreme sports". If you think this is a tough issue, look into life insurance. Damn sure hid the evidence then.

So basically what you are saying is that health insurance corporations are run by evil bastards that are quick to take your money but turn a shoulder when it comes time for them to deliver the product you purchased? We have a term for that here in the US, its called "scam artist".

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 17, 2010, 11:19 AM)

corson

Jan 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #48 of 51 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [other] Insurance for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Other......Another Faceless noob 5.10 climber. What a suprise. STFU DB ! You are the reason this site is so lame.

Cadmus

Jan 18, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #49 of 51 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Cadmus] INTERNATIONAL/TRAVELER health insurance. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry i dug up this heated debate. Next time i will start a new post.

I did find that https://www.imglobal.com has a sports rider that added only $4.50 to my $25.00 policy. OK i guess. I did find this one was good for hang gliding. http://buy.travelguard.com. good to know. If i find any in the future i will post um here. Any one else have an international medical insurance company they support?
thanks

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 19, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #50 of 51 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epicsaga wrote:
Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage $10,000
Lifetime Max. For eligible charges for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country.
$250 deductible.
!0,000 USD. Thats good for what about 10 min of actual surgury today?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook