Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Rumney Ruckus 08
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Jun 20, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #401 of 507 (5336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yosemite1976] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yosemite1976 wrote:
Question , Does anybody know what the rules are about Pets in the camping area ,are they .Ok or Not .

The Camara's do not allow dogs at the campsite because someone was bitten a few years back. They do love dogs, but do not want the liability.

wonderwoman

Jun 20, 2008, 1:27 PM
Post #402 of 507 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it really pours, we could always play pool during the day and retreat here for the night:

Make It A Blues Weekend:
Bear and the Honeydrippers blues band will be at the Wildcat Tavern in
Jackson on Friday & Saturday night this weekend. This is a classic guitar,
bass, drum and harp quartet playing great dance music. Bear is an
outstanding singer and harmonica player in the style of Paul Butterfield and
Charlie Musslewhite. If you like the blues check it out. The music starts at
8:30.

jakedatc

Jun 20, 2008, 1:45 PM
Post #403 of 507 (5299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHHH ok i'm going.. meeting up with Ben today .. probably bring the bike in case of wetness but hopefully it'll just sit there

wonderwoman

Jun 20, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #404 of 507 (5291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually.... biking, eh? Josh just got a sweet new bike as an anniversary present and he's picking it up from ems today. Maybe I'll tell him to bring the bikes as a back up plan.

jakedatc

Jun 20, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #405 of 507 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i decided against it.. too much space taken up in the car.. it'll be ok.. rock climbing!!

bdbc

Jun 20, 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #406 of 507 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok rumney ruckus forum! see you all up there in the comming days!!! time to go do it!

Partner jammer

Jun 20, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #407 of 507 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
i decided against it.. too much space taken up in the car.. it'll be ok.. rock climbing!!

You had me scared there for a moment, Jake! I would of never guess you would break tradition of climbing in the rain ... that is if it does rain, which it should not ... Unsure

Tiff ... Josh ... you giving up the waterfalls this year also??? No worries ... the weather looks great!

wonderwoman

Jun 20, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #408 of 507 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may not know this about me. But I am a princess and don't climb in the rain! Wink

Partner jammer

Jun 20, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #409 of 507 (5254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
You may not know this about me. But I am a princess and don't climb in the rain! Wink

But you do belay, right? Cool

robbovius

Jun 20, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #410 of 507 (5250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I wonder how far up the slabs the Crawford Notch Epic Crew is right now? were they swallowed by the Saco? film at 11! on monday!

Partner jammer

Jun 20, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #411 of 507 (5245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
Hey, I wonder how far up the slabs the Crawford Notch Epic Crew is right now? were they swallowed by the Saco? film at 11! on monday!

I'm sure I'll hear all the stories tonight when they get back! This should be really funny. They are calling for likely thunderstorms in the Whites today ... sure would hate to out in the open on a side of a cliff with all that metal when it starts! Can anyone say Lightening Rods?

Edited (2:36 EST) to include that weather.gov shows that a storm just went through the area that had very heavy rain. Hope everyone is OK.

(This post was edited by jammer on Jun 20, 2008, 6:36 PM)

losbill

Jun 21, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #412 of 507 (5206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumney Ruckus Trad Friday at Crawford Notch went very well. Chris, Jay, Ben, Rich, Todd, Aaron, Kevin and I had a very enjoyable New Hampshire granite slab day. The granite was great, clean with tons of nice sharp features. Some water on the slabs; this is New Hampshire!; provided an additional dimension in route selection as we all made our way up.

Chris and Jay did Lost in The Sun. Ben, Kev and I made our way up A Bit Short. Rich, Todd and Aaron did something between these two routes. Rich got the pitch of the day; a very, very nice 5.7ish, 120 feet of immaculate granite. Ben, Kev and I were a pitch ahead at that point and were able to position Ben for some extremely interesting "climbing" photos of Rich on the pitch.

This was the first multipitch trad outing for Chris and Aaron and they handled themselves very well and seemed to very much enjoy the day.

It was Kevin's first day on slab. He also did extremely well. His 120' pitch lead ended up as 300'. Kevin was so focused on the climbing he didn't notice Ben and I were simul-climbing behind him; leapfrogging by each other as we kept Kevin on hip belays. He kept calling down "Am I going to have enough rope?" "Yes!" we replied, "Keep going!" The one time he looked down from 100' above us he never made the connection that Ben and I were both standing at an anchor a 120' above the one we had originally been at!

Headed up about 8 AM back to the cars about 3 PM. Weather cooperated, sunny and pleasant for most of the day. Some light sprinkles on the rap and walkout. River was low so the crossing wasn't an issue. Got blasted by severe rainstorms as we hit Franconia Notch on the way back. Timing is everything in life!!!!

I will post up, as I'm sure Ben will, photos shortly.

BTW to the folks who put up and publicized the Mount Webster slabs, thank you very much we all had a great day!

robbovius

Jun 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #413 of 507 (5181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill that's awesome!
glad you liked those routes, they were put up by jack dorsey and another guy whose name I can't recall. I'm definitely heading back there this year...how did you like the approach?

(This post was edited by robbovius on Jun 21, 2008, 10:53 PM)

Partner pharmboy

Jun 22, 2008, 3:19 AM
Post #414 of 507 (5167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm home a day early from the Ruckus. I left a day early and I'm not ashamed that I was really missing my ever expanding family.

General Benson and I headed up to Cannon Thursday morning. We got a little bit of a late start and pulled into an empty parking lot with a light rain. Clearly any other sane climbing party knew that there was no way anything was going to go on Cannon this day... but Ah-HA, the sun peeked out and we decided to gear up and head up to WGR. Upon arrival at the base we made the decision to climb and were rewarded with a beautiful day. We managed the whole climb with just one five minute period of light rain. Unfortunately we got soaked o nthe descent, but it was hard to complain after having several hours of great weather.

Ben and I headed to Rumney to set up camp and met up with some of the other Ruckus revelers. A quick bite to eat at the new Corner House of Pizza or something like that. Nice people and good food.

Friday morning we got up bright and early and headed off to Crawford. The party included Bill, Kevin, Ben, Mr, Aaron, Todd, Jay and Chris. We managed to cross the river with no significant mishaps, though one of the ropes was tossed across stream and managed to get a bit wet (I thought I was stronger than that).

Bill described the climbing very well. It's a great location and well worth the approach.

After a great day of climbing we headed back to Rumney and a few of us went over to the Calm Post for some dinner. If you are ever hungry after climbing, and who isn't?, make sure to check this place out. Josh's World Famous Legs are freakin' awesome!

Today was another great day of climbing with some fantastic people. I can't speak for tonight or tomorrow, but it appears the Ruckus was finally blessed with some decent weather.

Glad to be crawling into my own bed tonight. But will miss not being there for the last night. Great to see some old friends and I really enjoyed meeting some new ones too! Looking forward to next year, but hey, with the great turn out this year I say we do it again in the fall!!!

Peas-out!

aaronflacke

Jun 22, 2008, 1:11 PM
Post #415 of 507 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Missing the Ruckus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all

sorry, but despite the best laid plans, I cannot get to the Ruckus. I am still in Bennington at an unusually well-attended family reunion/memorial service for my grandmother. There are too many far-flung kin here this weekend for me to bail early. Plus my girlfriend has reversed her previous thumbs-up for the extra hours of driving. Plus the possibility of rain once I get there.

my apologies to Jammer and anyone else for bringing the extra gear. reading the posts here, sounds like yesterday was a good day. I hope to catch some of you climbing this summer. I'll be back on the forum looking for models. thanks again to everyone

Aaron

losbill

Jun 22, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #416 of 507 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Rob --- Approach wasn't that bad. Bit of an hump up the dry, high-angled stream bed. We all just tucked into the slip stream provided by the two Adirondack mountain men, Todd and Aaron, and got pulled along to the top. Felt it wasn't nearly as much of a grind as the WGR approach.

Of course the WGR approach usually consists of racing at least one other team up the talus field at 6 in the morning to ensure being first on the climb. So it might not be the best comparator. --- Bill

c4c

Jun 22, 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #417 of 507 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Hey Rob --- Approach wasn't that bad. Bit of an hump up the dry, high-angled stream bed. We all just tucked into the slip stream provided by the two Adirondack mountain men, Todd and Aaron, and got pulled along to the top. Felt it wasn't nearly as much of a grind as the WGR approach.

Of course the WGR approach usually consists of racing at least one other team up the talus field at 6 in the morning to ensure being first on the climb. So it might not be the best comparator. --- Bill

FTR -neither Todd nor Aaron had a rack in their pack.

robbovius

Jun 22, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #418 of 507 (5077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:

yeah, i thought it might be a bit easier with many hands carrying the gear. last nov. going it alone it was a slog for me, two packs, two ropes, extra clothing, extra water, food, full rack...

I totally agree though, well worth the approach.

haven't tried WGR yet. maybe this year, but I dunno, there are several other fish I need to fry first.

wonderwoman

Jun 22, 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #419 of 507 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh and I just returned from the Ruckus and had an awesome time! We had to retreat early today due to SEVERE lightning. Josh and I hid under the Tropicana overhang on the Orange Crush wall until it felt safe to hike down. When we came down a tree behind the Camara's porta-potty had been splintered to smithereens. This was very close to where Notch and his family had been camping only a few hours before!

We had an awesome time seeing everyone and hanging out. Josh and I spent the day at Orange Crush on Saturday until it started raining. When the rain let up, we went down and did stuff on the Parking Lot Wall for old times sake. No one was there, for once!

Then it was dinner and pool at PHOP with everyone, followed by a fire by the river and consumption of more beer. It was a really good time, and I hope to get together with folks more often. I love all of my old and new friends!

That's all for now. Awesome to see you all!

jakedatc

Jun 22, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #420 of 507 (5018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

/me hides under the lowest cave Shocked

i'll update this later .. just glad no one is zapped and stuff :)

jugs for everyone.. overhanging slab for all

bdbc

Jun 23, 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #421 of 507 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone! i had a great time at my first of many Ruckuses! great time all around meeting everyone! I really hope to see everyone in the future! i ended up with a few good photos from the weekend, so click the flick link, and they should come up! (might post more in here, or just on the site) but, one in this post, the tree behind the portapotty that got taken out by the storm (the we weathered at Wiamea, good stuff).
Attachments: 080622-001 copy.jpg (74.8 KB)

c4c

Jun 23, 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #422 of 507 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like we made the right decision bailing Sat night. We had a great weekend. I think Aaron is hooked -he bought the harness/shoes/belay device/chalk bag that he was using from me when we got home.

You are all officially invited to the Adirondacks for the first annual Adirondack Southern Rock Fest http://www.rockclimbing.com/...;;page=unread#unread the weekend after labor day. All types of climbing available. Free camping. Campfire.

wonderwoman

Jun 23, 2008, 2:19 AM
Post #423 of 507 (4969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdbc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey bdbc - did you get on Waimea before it got all wet? What did you think of it? Beautiful - eh?

GeneralBenson

Jun 23, 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #424 of 507 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had such an amazingly awesome time this weeked! I don't even know where to begin recapping the events. Definately the best birthday weekend I can remember. I just want to thank everyone that was a part of a weekend and teh good times. You're all wicked cool and super badass rock heroes.

It's preobably going to be a bit before I can get the pictures up. I've got so much to do in the next 7 days before I move to CO and I don't know what any of it is. Also, I took over 1000 shots and it'll take me a while to weed through the pixel choss.

Such a good weekend!

wonderwoman

Jun 23, 2008, 2:24 AM
Post #425 of 507 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben - We didn't know it was your bday? Happy bday, man! It was awesome that you decided to spend it with us, and have a safe trip to CO. Hope to see you again in the future, too!

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook