Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Rumney Ruckus 08
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Jun 9, 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #226 of 507 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thats ok.. continue talking shit.. if you're right you can be happy.. if you're wrong we'll be happy to heckle you. sounds fair to me

i had the benefit of having a few months of conditioning through my biking so the hikes didn't hurt like they usually do early in the season. my climbing endurance however is in serious need of repair

c4c

Jun 9, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #227 of 507 (5615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pharmboy] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN
High: 73 °F

Perfect... Notch prefers leading slab routes in the rain. He actually is at his best when things get really greasy! He might even be tempted to put on his climbing shoes if leading in the rain, though he's likely to go barefoot and just use his big toes as leverage.

Looks like we have the following attendees for Tard day fun in the sun (or rain)

Moi (Rich/Pharmboy... overweight cry-baby)
Matt (Notch)
Todd (C4C)
General Benson
Jammer...maybe
Epoch...maybe

I've seen Notch lead 5.5 slab in his crocs.

Partner epoch

Jun 9, 2008, 9:31 PM
Post #228 of 507 (5611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He does like them crocs...

Partner pharmboy

Jun 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #229 of 507 (5600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN

Perfect... Notch prefers leading slab routes in the rain. He actually is at his best when things get really greasy! He might even be tempted to put on his climbing shoes if leading in the rain, though he's likely to go barefoot and just use his big toes as leverage.

Looks like we have the following attendees for Tard day fun in the sun (or rain)

Matt (Notch)
Todd (C4C)
General Benson
Jammer...maybe
Epoch...maybe

I've seen Notch lead a crazy crack line with only one hand while holding a bottle of Smuttynose in the other hand, in his crocs...without spilling a drop. AND, he placed the bottle cap as his first piece of gear and it was bomber!

Partner epoch

Jun 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #230 of 507 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pharmboy wrote:
c4c wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN

Matt (Notch)
Todd (C4C)
General Benson
Jammer...maybe
Epoch...maybe

I've seen Notch lead a crazy crack line with only one hand while holding a bottle of Smuttynose in the other hand, in his crocs...without spilling a drop. AND, he placed the bottle cap as his first piece of gear and it was bomber!
That must have been a tiny crack...

Partner pharmboy

Jun 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #231 of 507 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
c4c wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN

Matt (Notch)
Todd (C4C)
General Benson
Jammer...maybe
Epoch...maybe

No kidding, I can't get it out even with my nut tool. I haven't walked the same since he placed it.

c4c

Jun 10, 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #232 of 507 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
c4c wrote:
pharmboy wrote:
epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN

Matt (Notch)
Todd (C4C)
General Benson
Jammer...maybe
Epoch...maybe

No kidding, I can't get it out even with my nut tool. I haven't walked the same since he placed it.
I always thought that you walked a little funny but, never had the nerve to ask. Now I'm glad that I didn't.

losbill

Jun 10, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #233 of 507 (5578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the delay in replying. Good news is that a sister I rarely get to visit with is coming to town. The bad news is she will be here 6/17th through 6/23rd. The good news is she will be visiting my brother on Friday so I am good for RR trad day. The bad news is I am a no go for RR sport on Sa and Sun.

The Crawford Notch climbs sound interesting but it is quite a haul from Plymouth. Would strongly prefer Cannon. Ed is likely to join us. That would make eight.

Could send two parties up Moby with one set of multiple # 1, 2 & 3 cams for Reppy's. These two parties could possible split up and do two separate 2-3 pitch finishes after the Fickle Finger of Fate pitch.

The other two parties could do WGR or Wiessner's with the slab pitches variation.

Partner jammer

Jun 10, 2008, 2:16 AM
Post #234 of 507 (5565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Al, I was at Hinterlands today.. i saw no effect from the fire and the fixed lines were bomber. Trails around Bonsai, Monsters, probably Jimmy, main and orange crush should be used with caution since there's downed trees and burned up ground layers around so it may not be as stable as usual. mostly though the trails were ok it was more the ground around them that was burned. be aware of things falling off tops of cliffs. It was windy yeseterday afternoon and a chunk of wood crashed onto our packs at meadows.. luckily it made some noise and we ran away before it came down.

Josh and tiff will have pictures of some of the fire damage eventually but probably not in this thread.
Thanks for the update, Jake! Good to know what we are getting into and where to be careful. I plan on spending most of my time on top. Tried to talk Bill into convincing the USFS to include a new escalator for this ol' man! Laugh

pharmboy wrote:

Now the truth comes out! You told me you walked that way cause you were trying so hard to have another kid ... hmmmm Tongue

bdbc

Jun 10, 2008, 2:20 AM
Post #235 of 507 (5560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey! sorry to break up the trad friday chain, but i was wondering if anybody was gonna be heading out to rumney this week (before the weekend)? i've tried a few times, but have been stopped by the fire, and am itching to get up there. Thanks!

Partner jammer

Jun 10, 2008, 2:22 AM
Post #236 of 507 (5559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Friday, Jun 20 RAIN

Saturday, Jun 21 MOSTLY SUNNY
High: 78 °F

Sunday, Jun 22 PARTLY SUNNY

Lows in the 50's

We'll have to see what they say in a few days...

Just don't so the sun dance ... it never works, unless you want rain ... Shocked

c4c

Jun 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #237 of 507 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Sorry for the delay in replying. Good news is that a sister I rarely get to visit with is coming to town. The bad news is she will be here 6/17th through 6/23rd. The good news is she will be visiting my brother on Friday so I am good for RR trad day. The bad news is I am a no go for RR sport on Sa and Sun.

The Crawford Notch climbs sound interesting but it is quite a haul from Plymouth. Would strongly prefer Cannon. Ed is likely to join us. That would make eight.

Could send two parties up Moby with one set of multiple # 1, 2 & 3 cams for Reppy's. These two parties could possible split up and do two separate 2-3 pitch finishes after the Fickle Finger of Fate pitch.

The other two parties could do WGR or Wiessner's with the slab pitches variation.

Tempting Bill. I sure would like to catch up with you and Eric again but Lost in the Sun has been on my tick list since last year when it was first posted on neclimbs. I would be willing to switch though if the others want to. I think that you might just be trying to avoid the approach?

Partner pharmboy

Jun 10, 2008, 1:17 PM
Post #238 of 507 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Could send two parties up Moby...

Jeesh Bill, you know you to tempt a guy. Moby has been on my list for quite awhile. I know Todd and I are psyched to head up to Crawford and we'll probably still head out that way. Alan, Matt and/or G.Benson might be interested in something on Cannon. Or maybe you could head up the night before and crash at Rumney...I'll have the palace up and ready Thursday Night.

GeneralBenson

Jun 10, 2008, 1:37 PM
Post #239 of 507 (5532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know, 1100 ft of easy slab sounds mighty beautiful. WGR and MG were probably numbers 1 and 2 on my list until someone mentioned this route. Also, since I'm trying to nurse back to health some bad fingers and some tendonitis, 5.5 slab sounds like the best medicine. Crimpy sport climbing = the worst medicine... oh well.

robbovius

Jun 10, 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #240 of 507 (5520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All you folks talking about Lost in the sun, trust me, you'll dig it. its a really nice line. there are many variations close by. be aware though, the approach is not insignificant. its probably a half mile total, but the last 1/4 mile is 4th class up a sometimes steep rubbly rockslide. deifinitely a stairmaster. last november it took me 1.5 hours from the willey slide parking pullout, loaded down as I was with a 40 lb pack. But, the approach was definitely worth it.

hopefully, the saco won't be too deep when you ford it ;-)

have fun!

(This post was edited by robbovius on Jun 10, 2008, 3:15 PM)

c4c

Jun 10, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #241 of 507 (5512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
All you folks talking about Lost in the sun, trust me, you'll dig it. its a really nice line. there are many variations close by. be aware though, the approach is not insignificant. its probably a half mile total, but the last 1/4 mile is 4th class up a sometimes steep rubbly rockslide. deifinitely a stairmaster. last november it took me 1.5 hours from the willey slide parking pullout, loaded down as I was with a 40 lb pack. But, the approach was definitely worth it.

have fun!

I am a chevy man myself.

Partner pharmboy

Jun 10, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #242 of 507 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
robbovius wrote:

have fun!

I am a chevy man myself.

Damn, I drive a little Prius. Todd, you better tie me to your leg or I'm likely to float away.

GeneralBenson

Jun 10, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #243 of 507 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pharmboy wrote:
c4c wrote:
robbovius wrote:

have fun!

I am a chevy man myself.

Damn, I drive a little Prius. Todd, you better tie me to your leg or I'm likely to float away.

I'm 6'7 so I can probably just step across then throw back an arm for everyone. Probably to add to the tard day adventurz, we should do it with a tyrolean traverse and bears chasing us.

Partner pharmboy

Jun 11, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #244 of 507 (5435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone is heading up to Rumney this weekend or anytime before next week? I was just thinking maybe someone could post a note on the bulletin board about the Ruckus. Maybe a quick note about the dates and put a link to this forum or something? I also don't mind putting my phone number on there in case someone would rather call.

Please let me know if you are heading up soon and wouldn't mind doing this.

Thanks,
Rich

losbill

Jun 11, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #245 of 507 (5407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! A sudden, powerful urge to climb in Crawford Notch just came over me!! What a great idea!

Where and when; I am assuming about 6 AM since I assume everyone will be wanting to do both major lines; are we to meet?

P.S.

Once we are done with Crawford Notch and refueled, who is up for some "moonlight/headlamp" bolt clipping. Got to make the most of my 36 hours!!!!
In reply to:

(This post was edited by losbill on Jun 11, 2008, 10:03 PM)

GeneralBenson

Jun 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #246 of 507 (5403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Wow! A sudden, powerful urge to climb in Crawford Notch just came over me!! What a great idea!

Where and when; I am assuming about 6 AM since I assume everyone will be wanting to do both major lines; are we to meet?

P.S.

Once we are done with Crawford Notch and refueled, who is up for some "moonlight/headlamp" bolt clipping. Got to make the most of my 36 hours!!!!
In reply to:

BOTH major lines? There's another one?? Sweet!!11

jakedatc

Jun 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #247 of 507 (5400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i personally don't think that a) it's really that much of an "event" to actually post something about it.. b) you dont necessarily want every tom dick and harry showing up without really knowing them. Especially since this will be the first time as a group officially at the Camara's.. if a bunch of dumbasses show up and make us look bad then it's not a good start.

Partner epoch

Jun 11, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #248 of 507 (5399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
i personally don't think that a) it's really that much of an "event" to actually post something about it.. b) you dont necessarily want every tom dick and harry showing up without really knowing them. Especially since this will be the first time as a group officially at the Camara's.. if a bunch of dumbasses show up and make us look bad then it's not a good start.

I agree with this line of reasoning. As it is we all know each other either online or in person or both and are able to somewhat discern personality differences as well. Some of us will be bringing "strangers" to everyone who posts on here as it is. More unknowns that no one can vouch for may be problematic. But that is my opinion.

c4c

Jun 12, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #249 of 507 (5388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forget who was looking for a guide book? Epoch?
anyway here is one on ebay ending tomorrow.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Partner pharmboy

Jun 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #250 of 507 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

I agree with this line of reasoning. As it is we all know each other either online or in person or both and are able to somewhat discern personality differences as well. Some of us will be bringing "strangers" to everyone who posts on here as it is. More unknowns that no one can vouch for may be problematic. But that is my opinion.

I respect both of your opinions and see your point. Though I would state that some of the coolest people that I have met have been complete strangers hanging around the cliffs. Or maybe it's meeting strange people around the cliffs?

Anyway, my understanding of the gathering is for climbers to meet other climbers. While we all come from different walks of life with different opinions (as evidenced rampantly on this site) we all share the joy of being outside and climbing. I have met some really great people at the past gatherings and I hope I am not the only one that is open to receiving complete strangers (or strange people) at our gathering.

Maybe we'll even have one that can shoot a decent game of pool, seeing how Jake is all talk.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook