RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

cKarts

Mar 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3361 views)
Shortcut

Enchanted Rock Climbing Partner needed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
I'm new at this, so hope this is an appropriate place to post this request.
I'm coming to Texas and would like to climb at Enchanted rock the weekend of April 7th. I believe i'll be in the area the Sunday and Monday. I can lead outside and am very comfortable leading 5.9-5.10a and will definitely try my best at some good 5.10b,cs and 5.11s.
BUT... I need a partner! Please let me know if you can make this commitment, or feel free to contact me if you know others who might be interested.
Or even if you know the area, and people who generally climb there, if you think it'd be ok for me to just show and ask around for a catch.

My first time to Texas!
Thanks!
Cheryl

kevthegerman

Mar 25, 2011, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cKarts] Enchanted Rock Climbing Partner needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry but would love to join you however that is the one weekend i will be out of town.. i am an avid climber of erock and spend many weekends out there.. stay focused on the backside for the classic slab climbs and crack climbs.. however most everything is super run out and super slabby... make sure that if you choose the backside or motorboat area that you gety there and start climbing.. the place is very difficult to get a good day of climbing unless you ahve a plan and stick to it.. many a wasted days of climbing by hiking around looking for the climbs... so yeah.. backside.. and motorboat/orange peel area...

cKarts

Mar 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevthegerman] Enchanted Rock Climbing Partner needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome! thanks for the tips, i haven't even looked at the area, so i'll try to make a plan before i go. See what books/online info i can find. Thanks!

dswink

Mar 26, 2011, 2:39 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try erockonline.com.

justroberto

Mar 28, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can try the forum at erockonline, but typically nobody responds to those requests other than me - I don't know why. I'll be out of town that weekend but can lend you a guidebook.

If you were to wander out solo, you'd probably have success meeting someone out there to climb with on Saturday or Sunday, and about zero chance on Monday. Your best bets are all going to be on the Echo Canyon trail. Map here. Best areas to meet people are as follows:

The first trail on your right once you get down in the wash between main dome and little dome will be green and purple. Purple will fork up right to Motorboat Rock and Jacknife, likely to be a mobscene of toproping boy scouts most Saturdays and a little mellower on Sundays. Take the green fork for Triple Cracks and Smorgasbord. Once you get to the boulder at the top of the hill/end of the trail, stay right and the cracks should be painfully obvious. If no one is there, roll back out to the Echo trail, turn right and walk maybe 1/4 mile until you hit the blue trail, taking you to Sweat and the Proks on the backside. From there, you can wander left along the base of the backside until you find someone.

Backside warning: The majority of people back there under the age of 25 tend to be fairly clueless leaders and even more clueless seconds. Exercise a modicum of caution, particularly if they're only rocking one rope on the taller left side and/or talking about how run out it is.

cKarts

Apr 6, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Enchanted Rock Climbing Partner needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks very much for all the advice folks! I'd love to borrow your book... but not sure exactly how that would work. I fly in Thurs afternoon and i think we're driving up to Enchanted rock for the Sat and Sun.
I'll be staying in college station thurs until sat, or maybe fri night. I've never been to texas and have no idea where things are or how far they'd be. If you have any idea of how i could borrow a book, that'd be fantastic!
I hope to find someone around! if not, maybe i'll just play and boulder what i can reach.
Thanks again, it's been a great help!
-cheryl

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook