Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Rumney Ruckus 08
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Jun 12, 2008, 1:15 AM
Post #251 of 507 (5747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pharmboy] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I beat josh and tiffany this weekend ;) with a crooked cue

some history:
The Original
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...m/gforum.cgi?t=11560
Rumney 2.0 my first one..
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=369337;page=9;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

The point of the gatherings were for RC members to meet other RC members they typed to day after day.

The people you've probably met at past Rumney gatherings have been RC members or friends of theirs.
Shooting the shit at the crag is alot different than camping with someone under the "banner" of a certain group. Also some people see m to be coming partnerless. now.. i can vouch for the abilities of many many of the people posting here or know someone who can. Random folks off the street.. not so much. (thinkin of the guy saturday TRing through a single quick clip at the meadows with questionable belay technique)

c4c

Jun 12, 2008, 1:20 AM
Post #252 of 507 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I beat josh and tiffany this weekend ;) with a crooked cue

some history:
The Original
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...m/gforum.cgi?t=11560
Rumney 2.0 my first one..
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=369337;page=9;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

The point of the gatherings were for RC members to meet other RC members they typed to day after day.

The people you've probably met at past Rumney gatherings have been RC members or friends of theirs.
Shooting the shit at the crag is alot different than camping with someone under the "banner" of a certain group. Also some people see m to be coming partnerless. now.. i can vouch for the abilities of many many of the people posting here or know someone who can. Random folks off the street.. not so much. (thinkin of the guy saturday TRing through a single quick clip at the meadows with questionable belay technique)

Did you invite him to the Ruckus?

Partner jammer

Jun 12, 2008, 1:53 AM
Post #253 of 507 (5743 views)
Shortcut

Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone want to tell me when we ever turned anyone away? One thing I would hate to see is this turning into an elitist gathering. Jules held her hand out to anyone who could make it and the tradition continues. Don't trust someone, don't climb with them ... simple. Yet, I have to ask, how you gonna get to know someone when you look down on them?

jakedatc

Jun 12, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #254 of 507 (5743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

he ignored josh's advice to fix the top rope and we didnt even try to tell him he should have draws on the fixed gear... so.. hell no.

Did we given an open invitation at the crag to the ones in the field? pretty sure we didn't.

you guys can do whatever you want. I'm just saying what i think

R 2.0 we had like 30 people at jules house that were associated with someone on RC at least in some way. Cliffy brought the Quebequois.. Jules brought some friends from the gym.. most were from RC

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jun 12, 2008, 2:08 AM)

Partner pharmboy

Jun 12, 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #255 of 507 (5734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm sure no one wants to see this digress into some sort of argument about who should and shouldn't be invited. This is just and example of a difference of opinion. It's going to be blast and I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and people I have never met.

Jake, the only reason you beat Tiffany at pool is cause she still can't take her eyes of her husband, even after being married for a quadrillion years! And if you beat Josh it's only cause he was busy posing in the mirror instead of shooting pool. Bring you straight stick and your "a" game! Cool

stride

Jun 12, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #256 of 507 (5710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pharmboy] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As one of the "partnerless" individuals heading up to the Ruckus, I greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to join up with/accept into their group someone they don't know.

That said, if anyone is already looking for another partner up there I'll lead up to about .10a on sport and follow into the low .11s. Really, it doesn't matter how hard I'm climbing, I'm just glad to be doing it outside.

I used to be the manager of a climbing gym, and have taken many long trips around the east coast (including quitting my job and living in a tent for a month and a half climbing).

I've no experience placing trad gear but have followed several times in the Gunks. And if anyone is interested in teaching more about this particular type of climbing, I'm a great student.

I'm also not going to get offended if someone wants to see me belay before trusting me to belay them. Its their life - you don't want to have someone else mess it up for you. Wink

Partner epoch

Jun 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #257 of 507 (5706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stride] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stride wrote:
As one of the "partnerless" individuals heading up to the Ruckus, I greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to join up with/accept into their group someone they don't know.

That said, if anyone is already looking for another partner up there I'll lead up to about .10a on sport and follow into the low .11s. Really, it doesn't matter how hard I'm climbing, I'm just glad to be doing it outside.

I used to be the manager of a climbing gym, and have taken many long trips around the east coast (including quitting my job and living in a tent for a month and a half climbing).

I've no experience placing trad gear but have followed several times in the Gunks. And if anyone is interested in teaching more about this particular type of climbing, I'm a great student.

I'm also not going to get offended if someone wants to see me belay before trusting me to belay them. Its their life - you don't want to have someone else mess it up for you. Wink

It's alright, we'll find a partner or nine for you.

charley

Jun 12, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #258 of 507 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You accepted me knowing nothing about me except what you may have gleaned from rc.com. There is a difference in posting on rc.com and a parking lot. Anyone can pull into the parking lot. If you have spent any time on rc we know that you know which shoes to buy, which shoes for wide feet, beginners, or cracks, the right rope to have, the proper way to tie in, what iners to use for what, how to tie and use cordalette and equalette, which draws to use for what, and everything else needed to climb safely even where to put red and green arrows.Laugh

robbovius

Jun 12, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #259 of 507 (5685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
You accepted me knowing nothing about me except what you may have gleaned from rc.com. There is a difference in posting on rc.com and a parking lot. Anyone can pull into the parking lot. If you have spent any time on rc we know that you know which shoes to buy, which shoes for wide feet, beginners, or cracks, the right rope to have, the proper way to tie in, what iners to use for what, how to tie and use cordalette and equalette, which draws to use for what, and everything else needed to climb safely even where to put red and green arrows.Laugh

hey, I'll second that: everything my internet stalker knows about me he learned on the intardwebz.

Partner epoch

Jun 12, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #260 of 507 (5673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:

Then again, some of us could be poseurs only knowing about the sport, it's language, motifs, and culture from only a handful of sites. I'd make a comment that I don't climb, but there are a few people who are going to be there that know otherwise.

boconnell25

Jun 12, 2008, 6:19 PM
Post #261 of 507 (5661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to Rumney a couple of times before but the weather was always bad and parking was not an issue. I'd like to do a day trip on saturday and was wondering if people think the parking lot will be completely full.

If it fills up does anyone know other places to park? I just figured if the weather is great and this event is going on it might get full pretty quick.

Partner jammer

Jun 12, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #262 of 507 (5653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boconnell25] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess it all depends what time you get to the parking lot. If it is after 8AM, you are pushing it. If there is no room for parking, which there may not be after 10, you may have to park at the church in Rumney and walk down. About a mile.

I understand the weather, but this year, it is going to be GREAT!

(This post was edited by jammer on Jun 12, 2008, 8:19 PM)

Partner jammer

Jun 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #263 of 507 (5630 views)
Shortcut

Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One week from today, some will be anxious to get the days work done so they can pack up and head to Rumney, others will be already on their way, and some will be either still on the approach or on the rock, set for tard day!!

Anxious to see everyone again. It's been a while since I've seen most of you, some for the first time.

Be safe in your travels!

wonderwoman

Jun 13, 2008, 3:47 PM
Post #264 of 507 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
You accepted me knowing nothing about me except what you may have gleaned from rc.com.

This is true! And you wife makes some darned good brownies. Any friend with chocolate, is a friend of mine!

I am always up for meeting new folks! However, I am very picky with my belayers, as everyone should be, right? But I am willing to help give tips and belay newer climbers (especially if they have chocolate, and as long as I get my own climbing in).

It was actually me that corrected the one-clip wonder that Jake was referring to. Maybe if it had been Josh, they would have listened! Why do guys never listen to us smarty-pants chick climbers? Will you ever learn? Sly

By the way - here are some pics of the trail up to Bonsai. There's a lot of loose stuff up high, so watch where you hike and watch out for falling debris! I had a chunk of burnt up log land on my climbing shoes when it fell from the top of the Meadows.

bdbc

Jun 13, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #265 of 507 (5608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stride] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stride wrote:

you and me sound like we are in the same boat! i have a tiny bit of experience placing gear, but am at a similar ability level. but, i too am hoping that i can find people who can show me around a bit more. really, i'm just lookin to meet a bunch of cool people (in person), and it should be a good time!

jakedatc

Jun 14, 2008, 5:30 AM
Post #266 of 507 (5585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdbc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone want to clip bolts friday? I have the day off so i can be up there whenever I'd like to get 3 good days in so let me know

Partner jammer

Jun 14, 2008, 2:15 PM
Post #267 of 507 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there for trad, but if the weather looks bad, I may stay behind for some sport. I'll be there Thursday night.

GeneralBenson

Jun 14, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #268 of 507 (5523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather's looking kinda iffy. Who's ready for a tard epic? Sly

Partner jammer

Jun 14, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #269 of 507 (5520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NO ... NOT THE EPIC! Unsure

c4c

Jun 14, 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #270 of 507 (5502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
I'll be there for trad, but if the weather looks bad, I may stay behind for some sport. I'll be there Thursday night.

We are coming through thurs night alan do you want to catch a ride with us and save some gas $?

GeneralBenson

Jun 14, 2008, 7:43 PM
Post #271 of 507 (5497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, Pharmboy and I will be coming rom somewhere thursday night, if anyone wants to hitch with us. I realize how very un-useful that is to anyone, but that's all I know right now. I bet Pharmboy knows more.

c4c

Jun 14, 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #272 of 507 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralBenson wrote:
Also, Pharmboy and I will be coming rom somewhere thursday night, if anyone wants to hitch with us. I realize how very un-useful that is to anyone, but that's all I know right now. I bet Pharmboy knows more.

I doubt it.

bdbc

Jun 15, 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #273 of 507 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm totally up for doing that =) just had a good day there today, so i'm down for heading back on friday, any particular time?

jakedatc

Jun 15, 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #274 of 507 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdbc] Rumney Ruckus 08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bdbc wrote:
i'm totally up for doing that =) just had a good day there today, so i'm down for heading back on friday, any particular time?

we'll see what happens with the weather later on in the week

Partner jammer

Jun 15, 2008, 1:26 AM
Post #275 of 507 (5480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
jammer wrote:

We are coming through thurs night alan do you want to catch a ride with us and save some gas $?

Your offer is a great one, but if I am called out on an emergency, I will have to leave. I'll be the only one in Grafton and Coos county to cover homeless emergencies that weekend. I hope all goes well, but emergencies have to be dealt with and I'd hate to take you away from all the fun ... or the walk would kill me! Unsure

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook