RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

calvinclimber

Jan 27, 2005, 2:14 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Phoenix Bouldering Blast 05 Cancelled
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JUST GETTING THE WORD OUT

Hello All,

It has been an honor to plan and coordinate the Central Arizona Bouldering Contest a.k.a. Phoenix Bouldering Contest (PBC) a.k.a. Phoenix BoulderBlast (PBB) since 1983. This Event has attracted climbers from around the globe and outdoor enthusiasts from Arizona and around the Southwest.

The PBB has become a world class event with your support and participation. The PBB staffs over the years have worked very hard to conduct a highly professional competition and festival while keeping the overhead as low as possible. This has been possible with the support of our sponsors, participants, and vendors.

After last year’s PBB, many of our sponsors complained about the impact that “discount” vending was having on the retail market. The decision was made not to allow vending and replace it with exhibiting in 2005; however, it became quite apparent that while this decision pleased many sponsors it also upset many other sponsors creating a very difficult situation for us to raise the necessary sponsorship/exhibitor dollars to stage the Event. The end result – the necessary sponsorship/exhibitor dollars were simply not there.

After much discussion and soul searching, I have decided to cancel this year’s PBB and put future efforts towards planning a bigger and better event in 2006. In 1999, we took a year off and came back the next year with a great event. The plan is to do nothing less this time around.

Over the next few months, I will continue to explore ways to improve not only the PBB both competitively and financially but also competition climbing in the USA and abroad. I will look at ways to secure an event so a situation like 1999 and 2005 will not threaten our ongoing viability. I will be asking for your input.

To the sponsors who supported the 2005 PBB much thanks! To the sponsors who have supported past Events much thanks!

If you receive this notification more than once, please forgive the inconvenience.

Good Climbing and Best Regards,

Jim Waugh

bustloose

Jan 27, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Re: Phoenix Bouldering Blast 05 Cancelled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edit - holy triple post :shock:

bustloose

Jan 27, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit - holy triple post :shock:

bustloose

Jan 27, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit - holy triple post!! :shock:

bustloose

Jan 27, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

say it ain't so Jim!! :(

A shadow passed o'er the land, great sadness fell, and the people mourned.

crimpandgo

Jan 27, 2005, 3:16 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very dissapointing news indeed :cry:

I personally look foward to this event all year long. Great climbing, great camping, great people to hang around. Its too bad the event could not continue even in a "smaller" format if that would have helped the cost issues.

punkclimber52

Jan 27, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer man

menotyou

Jan 28, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's very sad to hear about the cancellation. I think many will agree that the PBC (PBB) is one of the best all around climbing party/events around. Let's hope Jim can pull the sponsors together and bring it back to us in 2006.

For those of you who feel the need to fill the void left by the canceled event keep in mind the 2005 Spring Beanfest. I will be announcing a date since, but it will defiantly be in April.

For those of you not familiar, Beanfests come around twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall. It's a tradition shared mostly by the Tucson locals and has been going on for roughly 30 years. This year’s beanfest will be held in Cochise Stronghold and in light of the PBC cancellation I'm thinking about reviving the bouldering contest. Check http://uaclimbers.org and http://climbaz.com for future announcements. I'll do my best to get them up here as well.

- Charlie.
aka Beanmaster

Partner sevrdhed

Jan 28, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dag, that sucks... I took the time off already and everything :( Well, there's always next year (If queen creek isn't a mine by then).

Steve

estherator

Jan 28, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hoping that this was merely a case of trolling, but alas, I have just verified that it is, in fact, true. :cry:

t-dog
Deleted

Jan 28, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weak Sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lidosis

Mar 9, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy underwear batman, I just got my letter today, this is definitly a bummer. So the big vendors didn't want to let stuff be sold, and the little vendors won't come unless they can sell stuff. So what do we get either way half the vendors won't show, and it seems like really everyone is needed to pull the event off. I have my own gripes about the bigger companies, but I ranted about those in a previous thread. I still would have liked to seen the event happen, but it is very hard for small vendors to justify, making a costly trip and paying for a sponsorship when they loose a great deal of their ability to promote their product at the event, i.e. giving some away or at discounts. Oh well enough of this downer talk.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook