Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

sharpie

May 13, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #201 of 231 (10811 views)
Shortcut

Re: Reno's Relocating Rendevous... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Woodland Park would be a good option too, perhaps the Ute Inn or the Crystola Bar & Grill (The favorite watering establisment of the Texas Seven). And, then we could eat in peace without having to listen to Geo, who would presumably be heading out west on 24, wine and fuss bout his sore knee... :)

tradkelly

May 14, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #202 of 231 (10811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On a somewhat related note, it is true that Lake George does have a (count 'em, that's one) restaurant right at the intersection to Elevenmile Canyon. This puts the local establishment maybe 2 or 3 miles from the campsite. In last year's gathering, most of us went there for dinner on Sunday night.

The place with the Big Orange Sign has had a For Sale sign up for a few months now and may not be serving food anymore. I imagine the bar portion still runs, but I wouldn't count on getting grub there. The nearest place I know of that's still open is the resaurant on the NE corner of the intersection in Florissant, built around an old rail dining car. It's about six road minutes away. Call Woodland 15 minutes by road, but I can't think of anything outstanding there either. There are 2 supermercados in Woodland Park, however.

I highly recommend my local tacqueria, Alfonso's, in Colorado Springs, on the way for most of you; it's at 21st street, 100 meters south of the intersection with highway 24. 21st is the second crossroad intersection as you've exited I-25 westbound towards the mountains. The steak/cheese/potato breakfast burrito and the #6 chicken taco/chicken enchilada combo are outstanding for fueling up before a day of climbing. Fran will back me up that this is good chow.

sandbag

May 14, 2004, 1:04 AM
Post #203 of 231 (10811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SCrew that, ill just get some MREs at the local surplus shop...MMMM MMMM MMMM
best part is you never have to worry about the bathroom... :shock:

mbg

May 14, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #204 of 231 (10811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys- I'm afraid we're not going to make it to 11mile this weekend. I've got to get out to the desert sometime this spring before it gets too hot and this might be the last chance. I've never met ya' Reno, but good luck in AZ! As for the rest of the Colorado crew, we'll have to meet at the next gathering. Have fun this weekend and be safe!

reno

May 14, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #205 of 231 (10811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's typical small town Colorado food -- heavy on beef, chicken, potatoes, sandwiches, pies, etc. None o' that high falootin' fancy Frenchie continental stuff.

So there's no soy, right? This is important, Shorty, so I want to make sure... no soy.

In reply to:
And, then we could eat in peace without having to listen to Geo, who would presumably be heading out west on 24, wine and fuss bout his sore knee... :)

Capital idea, Mr. Sharpie. Heck, I can already tell how the "Knee Story" is gonna go: "OK, so there I was, high off the deck..."

Reminds me of the difference 'tween a fairy tale and a climbing story.

In reply to:
SCrew that, ill just get some MREs at the local surplus shop...MMMM MMMM MMMM

You're in need of professional help, dude.

In reply to:
Hey guys- I'm afraid we're not going to make it to 11mile this weekend.

But... but... We've got the whole initiation ceremony planned and everything. Geo's even bringing an extra sheep for you.

Ya CAN'T bail on us now.

*sigh*

redpointron

May 14, 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #206 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got a black 98 Wrangler, with bumper stickers for Yates, Bluewater, LifeNet, Emory Flight, Wilderness Exchange, and the International Association of EMTs and Paramedics. Oh, and my plate number is 962 JBO (Colorado tags.)

jeff, your bumper sticker barrage got me thinking about a m.v.a. went on earlier this week. girl we were extricating had two bumper stickers....one was some local church, the other said, "never wear panties to a party". i was getting mixed messages :? , but i do think you need to add this second one to your others. it will surely help meeting new friends in az.

anyway, have fun at your party and good luck in az. see you in sept.

r.r.

timstich

May 14, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #207 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Due to slight illness we will be heading out early Saturday instead of Friday night. We'll be climbing at Arch Rock as soon as we slap the tent on the ground. So keep that sign up. If we can't decide where to camp, we'll just keep the gear in the truck and do it after climbing.

Looks super sunny and nice outside today. What a big difference from yesterday!

crazyfingers

May 14, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #208 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate my job, I hate my job, I hate my job.

Just got a call that I have to be close to a phone and PC early tomorrow morning in case anything goes south during two major customer cutovers...

I hate my job, I hate my job, I hate my job.

Reno, sorry man but I gotta bail have fun in AZ.... !@#$ job. Have a blast without me folks.

KT

timstich

May 14, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #209 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can' tell me it's beautiful down there. It's snowing like h$ll up here.

It's you and me, Kyle. Boss is making noises that I need to work all weekend since it's the last weekend to purchase Season Passes. I'll let you know, but saying "no" to the boss is a really bad idea.

The sun is shining brightly down here, though as you say, it was snowing up at Guanella Pass when I drove out of there at 2:30 PM. Sorry to hear about your respective bosses. My a-hole company sent me home this week. Hope I get that new job so I can split the current one.

coclimber26

May 15, 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #210 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just left 11 mile a few hours ago...temp last night 25...brrr today was cloudy and 55. We were climbing wed. and had to rap in a snow storm...left some rap booty on turret dome...plan on getting it sat..I know it's late but there is free camping on BLM land in wagon gulch, 10 min. from arch rock. I will probably show up around 10 on saturday...

timstich

May 15, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #211 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm heading out for the evening festivities tonight, not too late. Might get in some routes Sunday, might not. No matter. I'm just interested in the peeps.

coclimber26

May 16, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #212 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got done climbing for the day...The weather was in the high 50's and it looked like it was going to rain but only sprinkled a few drops...Did some fun bolted routes on 11 mile dome and took some pics...I'll post them if I can ever figure out how to...every time I try all I get is a box with an x in it...any help? anyway, good meeting everyone and I'm sure tonights drinking will be excessive..

timstich

May 16, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #213 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...anyway, good meeting everyone and I'm sure tonights drinking will be excessive..

For me, it was. Note to self: one tequila shot is not poured up to the third ring of a plastic cup. Good time sitting around the fire.

crazyfingers

May 17, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #214 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...anyway, good meeting everyone and I'm sure tonights drinking will be excessive..

For me, it was. Note to self: one tequila shot is not poured up to the third ring of a plastic cup. Good time sitting around the fire.

Sooo jealous. Hope everybody had a balst!

KT

bobd1953

May 17, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #215 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno, good luck down south and the best with your job. Thanks for the hospitality and good times this weekend. A little good advice: stop pulling on draws and vote for Kerry. Later, brother.

reno

May 17, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #216 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah.... life is so good at times, it makes one take pause to reflect.

Made it to the Canyon around 12:30 Friday afternoon. Quickly hooked up with Neph, Scott (who, by the way, will be joining the site as "poster_boy" we decided... more on this later,) Sharpie, Timmo, and Terri. We ran up Arch Rock, and then headed for camp.

Got down to the bidness: food and drink. We made two HUGE pots of pasta and sauce, Sandbag arrived soon after, and we tapped the keg of Bitter Dirty Barbie Blonde Ale (a Sandbag crafted brew,) and someone soon brought out the Patron Tequila (Silver AND gold.)

The discussion was lively, entertaining, and spirited. And the drinks did flow.

That's when I got the first surprise of the weekend... one that just blew me away and left me speechless.

My Colorado Climbing Contingent brothers and sisters chipped in and presented me with a brand new The North Face Mountain 25 tent...

At this point, I was having great difficulty sitting upright, let alone STANDING upright, but I managed to get the tent put together with some assistance. Slept well, if a bit chilly. Still don't have the words to say "Thank you" properly. You guys totally rule!

Saturday: I was first up, doing my best imitation of an alpine start (woke at 5 am,) and first considered act was coffee. Looked around for the automatic drip machine... realized we were camping, and I'd have to boil water instead. Got that accomplished, elevated my serum caffine levels, and started kicking the others loose. Since Geo couldn't make it due to his recent injury, I took it upon myself:

"Good Morning, Ladies... drop your sacks and grab your racks!"

A few grumbles, a few "F- You, Reno!" and everyone got awake. Breakfast, coffee by the gallon, and off to climb. Ran a few laps on 11 Mile Dome, watched Scott assume the same position as he did in Leadville: Curled up in the fetal position, sleeping on a rock while everyone else climbed.
http://bianca.dotorg.org/~neph/suck.jpg

Just kidding, buddy! Scott actually did climb some good lines this weekend. But the similarity is too good to pass up!

I then suckered Sharpie into taking the heinous crux pitch of "Overleaf," and we headed back to camp.

So there I was, still rubbing the sore spots from the hard earth under my tent the night before. I elect to relocate the tent to a softer, yet sloped, spot. I enlist Terri to help me carry the tent, and she mentioned, quite innocently, "This seems heavy... what else you have in there besides your sleeping bag?" "Nothing, really" I replied.

Then I grab a change of clothes from the Jeep, and enter the tent to switch clothes.

And what do I find, you ask?

My second "going away present":

http://www.calexotics.com/...roduct_image_881.jpg

Yep... and if you hit it on the backside, it makes sheep sounds.

My friends... gotta love 'em. (I guess.)

Bob D'Antonio, Just_me, and her friend Chris all show up, join the party, and much more fun is had by all. There was more beer consumed, we finished the keg, and Sharpie and Timmo made a beer run. They returned with 3.2 Coors, but by that time we didn't care.

Up Sunday, more coffee, more breakfast, break camp, and go climb. Watched Bob, kcrag, and (forgot his name... Greg, perhaps?) put up a nice looking 5.11b/c line on Pine Cone Slab. Did a cool 5.7 trad line with tradkelly, got spanked on the sandbagged 5.9 sport line "Ben Dover" (Hey, Bob? I was NOT pulling on that draw, I was only inspecting the bolt!) and finished the weekend eating mexican food in the Springs.

The Awards are available for voting:

Poster Boy for Suck: Timstich (Sunday,) Scott (Saturday.)
Poster Girl for Suck: As we only had one female climber for the bulk of the weekend, this will not be awarded for the RRR.
Best Camp Food: Terri's Rotini with Vodka Sauce.
Best Booze: Silver Patron, curteousy of Neph.
Best Brew: Sandbag's "Reno's Dirty Barbie Blonde Bitter."
Best New Route: "Anne Taykit," 5.11b on Pine Cone Slab (FA: D'Antonio/Baldwin)
Best Timing: Reno and Nate making a run for firewood about 5 minutes before Dan the Firewood Man made his rounds through the campground.
Best Political Debate: bobd1953 and sandbag debating the Iraq situation Sunday morning before 0900.

(ADD YOUR AWARDS HERE.)

Best weekend I've had in... ever.

Thanks again, y'all. You're the best dang pals I could ever ask for.

The Attendees: Reno, Neph, Scott, Shorty, Sara, Timmo, Terri, Sharpie, Bobd1953, Just_me, Chris, Timstich, Kaia, Sandbag, Kcrag, Mother_sheep, Tradkelly, and probably a few I can't remember.

anykineclimb

May 17, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #217 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like I missed out on one helluva good time.
I ended up helping with a fence project in Garden of the Gods.

Next time guys. Reno, good luck in AZ.

timstich

May 17, 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #218 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I assume I won the suck award by not climbing? Ha ha ha! Salt in the wound, eh? I used to read suck every day, actually:

http://suck.com/

shorty

May 17, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #219 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did anyone make it home with an extra green folding camp chair yesterday? It seems I did not pack mine up on Sunday. PM me if you have the prodigal furniture. Thanks.

mother_sheep

May 17, 2004, 2:22 PM
Post #220 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry we didn't get to rope up Reno. But I know you'll be back.

Check yourself for ticks. I had a nice fatty sucking on the back of my neck on the drive home. He was red and really chubby. Kinda cute tho. So cute that I had to throw him out the window.

neph

May 18, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #221 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Did anyone make it home with an extra green folding camp chair yesterday? It seems I did not pack mine up on Sunday. PM me if you have the prodigal furniture. Thanks.

wE hAVe yoUr CAmP cHaiR
mEet @ MidniGHt @ REI
b
RInG $1,000,000 iN uNMaRked bilLs
nO POlice
Or eLSe
--
Baaaabs and Baaaarbra

reno

May 18, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #222 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neph:

Do you happen to know where one might find a hammock, two BD locker biners, and two lengths of 1 inch tube webbing?

I am willing to trade quality time with a sheep for the return of such items.

coclimber26

May 18, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #223 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the link to a couple of photos from the rendevous at 11 mile dome. I have never had luck linking the photos to a thread correctly..

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=32269

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=32266

rocknap

May 18, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #224 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all, it's Scott and I'm finally registered.

Shorty: I have your green camp chair here in Boulder. Let me know when you want to pick it up.

Reno: I have your hammock, lockers, and webbing. I can mail it to you or you can pick it up.

I'll be getting pics online soon, and I've got some drunken video to edit down. I'll put together a DVD if anyone's interested. Snail mail me your pics if you want them on it.

Oh yeah, and Roof Bypass on Pinecone Dome is definitely not a 6 (but a ton of fun!)

-s

shorty

May 18, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #225 of 231 (10815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Shorty: I have your green camp chair here in Boulder. Let me know when you want to pick it up.
Scott -- Thanks for grabbing it for me. Most likely, the timing will be the next weekend I'm up your way for climbing. I'm uncertain if that will be this week or maybe the next. I'll let you know. Or you can holler if you're going south to climb (Clear Creek, Platte, Shelf, etc.).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook