Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
trip to wyoming
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

jjkowals

Mar 1, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4445 views)
Shortcut

trip to wyoming  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Priest_Draw: Triangle_boulder)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A couple of friends and I are taking a month long trip through south dakota to Wyoming and Montana. Does anyone have any hot spots that we must hit up?

--Thanks

midwestishell

Mar 1, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Re: trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Man,
I did the same trip from the Adirondack across to Wyoming back in 2000. I would skip everything until you hit the Corn Palace in SD. Then stop in at Wall Drug and get your picture taken on the big dinosaur. I would then spend a bunch of time in the Needles of the Black Hills, if it is not June hit up Devil's Tower, and then move on to the Tetons. This could easily take up a month. My trip was about 2.5 and I wasn't satisfied at the end of it.

Golod luck.

Th

guanoboy

Mar 1, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in order: the needles, black hills, devils tower, thermopolus (for the hot springs), the sinks, cirque of the towers, the tetons. Ask others about MT.

oh yeah - no climbing on Devils tower in June, but then June will be early for the cirque of the towers and the Tetons. Wait till July.

g
Deleted

Mar 1, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
oh yeah - no climbing on Devils tower in June, but then June will be early for the cirque of the towers and the Tetons. Wait till July.
No, you can climb in June, but we are asked not to climb out of respect for Native Americans who perform rituals at the Tower in June.

The southern Black Hills (Rushmore, Custer) and Devils Tower are great, don't miss them.

Edit: Changed month as I miss typed.

Louern

May 5, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g] trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "g"][quote]oh yeah - no climbing on Devils tower in June, but then June will be early for the cirque of the towers and the Tetons. Wait till July.[/quote]No, you can climb in June, but we are asked not to climb out of respect for Native Americans who perform rituals at the Tower in June.

The southern Black Hills (Rushmore, Custer) and Devils Tower are great, don't miss them.

Edit: Changed month as I miss typed.[/quote]

oklahoma

May 5, 2010, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guanoboy] trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This might be a dumb question but what are you wanting to do and when are you wanting to go?

If you go early summer skip the tetons cause they're covered in snow until atleast june. They have huge approaches as well. And honestly the winds are alot better than the tetons in my opinion. You'd be better off spending your time at the cirque. The tetons look real cool and are worth driving through though. Camp at the Curtis Canyon camping sites across the valley from the tetons in the Gros Ventre range. It's free and you get a bad as view of the tetons.

If you're into sport climbing you have to stop at Sinks outside Lander.

From what I've heard, and this is all word of mouth, you'd be better off hitting City of Rocks in Idaho than going through montana climbing wise. Never climbed in Montana so any fans of the big sky shouldn't take that personally.

kylekienitz

May 5, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oklahoma] trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oklahoma wrote:
This might be a dumb question but what are you wanting to do and when are you wanting to go?

If you go early summer skip the tetons cause they're covered in snow until atleast june. They have huge approaches as well. And honestly the winds are alot better than the tetons in my opinion. You'd be better off spending your time at the cirque. The tetons look real cool and are worth driving through though. Camp at the Curtis Canyon camping sites across the valley from the tetons in the Gros Ventre range. It's free and you get a bad as view of the tetons.

If you're into sport climbing you have to stop at Sinks outside Lander.

From what I've heard, and this is all word of mouth, you'd be better off hitting City of Rocks in Idaho than going through montana climbing wise. Never climbed in Montana so any fans of the big sky shouldn't take that personally.

Well, it is four years later... do you think he has taken the trip yet?

oklahoma

May 5, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kylekienitz] trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So that was a dumb question??

kylekienitz

May 5, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oklahoma] trip to wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oklahoma wrote:
So that was a dumb question??

ha, not really. Just hoping to catch you. Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook