Post deleted by adatesman
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

hafilax

Jul 1, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #51 of 77 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
Wow. is this really the same person?

Roy, What are your climbing/ gear making credentials?

Aric, I love your work here, but... It seems Roy has really wound you up. I can appreciate why, but I've got to admit that your frustration is not suiting you well. While Roy has repeatedly refuted you and dismissed your findings on these threads, he certainly doesn't seem to hold much sway amongst the readers. Me thinks you would be better served by ignoring him at this point. Or, perhaps you should simply answer his points as you have and leave it at that.

Quite frankly, this whole quibble has been rather elementary school IMO. it is not suited to someone of your integrity.

Just my $0.02.

-W

Edit to add: Personal attacks are not allowed on the site. Mod or not. Take a deep breath dude...

Word.

Aric, IMO this whole thing is starting to look a little immature. You are squandering what might have been a good addition to the cannon of knowledge about cams. There are people who disagree with you. Live with it. Insulting them and/or making fun of them is hurting your cause.

I think I would chill for a while and get some perspective. You seem too riled up.
Imagine the cams Roy could make with a coconut, bamboo and some scraps of wire. Laugh

Aric's just making some light hearted jokes at the avatar. Mods are human too and they should be allowed a little fun shouldn't they?

boymeetsrock

Jul 1, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #52 of 77 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
IsayAutumn wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
Wow. is this really the same person?

Roy, What are your climbing/ gear making credentials?

Aric, I love your work here, but... It seems Roy has really wound you up. I can appreciate why, but I've got to admit that your frustration is not suiting you well. While Roy has repeatedly refuted you and dismissed your findings on these threads, he certainly doesn't seem to hold much sway amongst the readers. Me thinks you would be better served by ignoring him at this point. Or, perhaps you should simply answer his points as you have and leave it at that.

Quite frankly, this whole quibble has been rather elementary school IMO. it is not suited to someone of your integrity.

Just my $0.02.

-W

Edit to add: Personal attacks are not allowed on the site. Mod or not. Take a deep breath dude...

Word.

Aric, IMO this whole thing is starting to look a little immature. You are squandering what might have been a good addition to the cannon of knowledge about cams. There are people who disagree with you. Live with it. Insulting them and/or making fun of them is hurting your cause.

I think I would chill for a while and get some perspective. You seem too riled up.
Imagine the cams Roy could make with a coconut, bamboo and some scraps of wire. Laugh

Aric's just making some light hearted jokes at the avatar. Mods are human too and they should be allowed a little fun shouldn't they?

No doubt they are human and are entitled to "a little fun". That IMO came and went a while ago. YMMV. Signal to noise, KWIM?

adatesman

Jul 1, 2009, 9:17 PM
Post #53 of 77 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

boymeetsrock

Jul 1, 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #54 of 77 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

AngelicBlush OK, I hear ya.

I'm just sayin'...

adatesman

Jul 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #55 of 77 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

foodgeek

Jul 1, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #56 of 77 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Yeah, me too... Angelic
I've even gone so far as to offer to test a big bunch of gear from other manufacturers any way he'd like, provided he help cover the costs. But still no response from him on any of it. I'd actually like to do that additional testing, hence trying to needle him on it... Angelic
-a.

I'm sure a number of us would be willing to chip in for you to test other gear. If it'll make Roy finally STFU, you might as well use his testing procedure, assuming he actually has something useful to suggest.

ptlong

Jul 1, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #57 of 77 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aric, I'm in agreement with Crotch. You're not doing yourself any favors by acting that way.

adatesman wrote:
I suppose I could just start ignoring him again, but the lure of the coconut jokes is just too much! Laugh

-a.

But it's why some knowledgable people won't waste time reading the silliness at rc.com.

adatesman

Jul 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #58 of 77 (2622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

moof

Jul 2, 2009, 5:31 AM
Post #59 of 77 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Very true... The discussions on MP, CC and Gunks had a much higher SNR. But if you weed out the chaff from the Lab threads here on RC I think the ones here were somewhat more productive.

Nice SNR usage, what the hell kind of engineer are you?

quiteatingmysteak

Jul 2, 2009, 8:07 AM
Post #60 of 77 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Face it Aric, you are incapable of being impartial. Your outright refusal to acknowledge flaws in your own testing and your reliance on name calling instead of engaging in polite conversation has ruined your credibility. It's no longer worth the time following your "investigation" since the results were pre-determined before you pulled the first cam. Perhaps there will be a proper investigation by somebody who knows what they are doing. But it clearly isn't you or the CSPC.

Roy, buddy, did you even read my report? Specifically the section where I discussed the shortcomings in the test process? Why do I get the feeling you haven't and why have you still not answered any of my questions on what you see as the shortcomings of the testing I did?

For someone who talks a lot you sure don't seem to have much to say.

And BTW, still no answer about whether you'll man up and help fund additional testing of cams from other manufacturers? As I recall that was one of your main complaints, but unless you put your money where your mouth is I'm afraid you're just an internet wanna-be-tough-guy who's gotten himself in way over his head. I think you'd better get back to your coconuts, Professor, as I think the Skipper and Gilligan could use a hand.

Just because someone calls you names on the internet doesn't mean you need to call them names back. I'm no nun, but when you're trying to make valid points, it becomes difficult to take you seriously if you play pitter-patter banter with the internet tough guys.

I do agree with a previous post that I would rather it be up the climber rather than a guy with a law degree who has never touched rock on what we are allowed to get for climbing... i for one have climbed on 'aid gear' on my own choice... including heads... I guess I just don't know any more. I am used to climbing where adventure and the unknown are kind of important, it seems today there are tech nuts that can sit at home in states flatter than a japanese dining set and analyze things to death, which i guess can be fun sometimes. i think your tests are interesting, and though I'd rather go climb than run around in circles trying to get someone hyped up over gear that sucks, I can understand why you are doing them and am the last guy to tell you to stop.

For me at least... not my deal. I see a lot of these guys out at the crag, they wear the helmets on the approach, they tape their hands up to their armpits and sew up every route, and harp on and on about safety... I know people that solo those routes that are 'safer.' Climbing isn't safe, and you can pull test gear all day long, and make microsoft excel charts all the live long eve', and convince yourself that you can still climb when you have kids because you aren't putting them in danger of growing up without knowing who their dad is... but fact is that climbing is dangerous. We can reduce it by making sure gear is bomber and keeping ourselves protected on lead, but its still dangerous.

Now bowling, thats safe. Climbing? Not for me, man, I could get hurt.

I hope your attempts don't fall on deaf ears, I long have wondered why people get so wet over aliens anyway, they are over hyped (except for aid routes, not really much better than other cams, and IMO a bit worse). I'd like to see these things work themselves out, but maybe a few lawyers can save lives, that wouldn't really be all that bad.

Gmburns2000

Jul 2, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #61 of 77 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:

Now bowling, thats safe. Climbing? Not for me, man, I could get hurt.

I once bruised my shin when I sprained my thumb when the ball didn't release from my hand because my thumb was stuck and the ball came back to whack me on the backswing. This made me slip and fall flat on my face - SPLAT! - with my thumb still stuck in the ball.

Don't tell me bowling isn't dangerous!!! Mad

P.S. - Everyone laughed. Frown

adatesman

Jul 2, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #62 of 77 (2499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

GeneralZon

Jul 2, 2009, 3:42 PM
Post #63 of 77 (2485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aric, I applaud all the work you have done bringing this issue to light. I had some Aliens in my hand and after reading your posts they went back on the shelf.

Anyhow, I am sure CCH is feeling the heat, especially in their pockets. Consumers will drive their success or demise.

As far as the haters are concerned, fuck em.

moof

Jul 2, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #64 of 77 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
moof wrote:
Nice SNR usage, what the hell kind of engineer are you?

The type that doesn't have a problem with the common lay usage of the term?

No, seriously, what's your day job? Usually I only hear EE's use SNR, and then only those on the RF/Microwave/Communications side of things. No offense was intended, jut realizing I had you pegged a little wrong, and now curiosity has the best of me.

azstephen

Jul 2, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #65 of 77 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
Aric, I applaud all the work you have done bringing this issue to light...

As far as the haters are concerned, fuck em.

Agreed!

majid_sabet

Jul 2, 2009, 4:02 PM
Post #66 of 77 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aric

If you were living in Russia and were doing this on Russian Cams, you would had lived only one day .

The black sheep is DEAD

leave it alone

adatesman

Jul 2, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #67 of 77 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

shoo

Jul 2, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #68 of 77 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So this wife of yours . . . is she single? 'Cuz, you know, I've been pretty lonely . . .

a-e-jones

Jul 2, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #69 of 77 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Aric

If you were living in Russia and were doing this on Russian Cams, you would had lived only one day .

The black sheep is DEAD

leave it alone

maybe i'm wrong but the way i'm reading this comment is the guy who chases ambulances from local crags is telling the guy who breaks/disassembles things he needs to get a life???

cheers for this aric hopefully some good will come out of your hard unpaid work, its a shame that some people dont think you should be allowed to defend yourself/have fun with someone who is playing arm chair engineer (roy)

bill413

Jul 2, 2009, 4:45 PM
Post #70 of 77 (2524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Ultimately the plan is to license the gear designs and then use that money to open a brewery, which is where my real interest lies... Cool
Ah, a true climber!

a-e-jones

Jul 2, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #71 of 77 (2493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Ultimately the plan is to license the gear designs and then use that money to open a brewery, which is where my real interest lies... Cool

i can picture it now, adatesman brew filling every pig in yos

shoo

Jul 2, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #72 of 77 (2487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a-e-jones wrote:
adatesman wrote:

i can picture it now, adatesman brew filling every pig in yos

Predator Breweries?

Note: credit to Majid for that one. Also, if you're looking for recipes, I have an oaked Cali-style IPA of my own recipe aging at the moment that is mighty delicious, as well as some pretty solid brown ale and an Irish red left that were both quite tasty. If you're ever in the Boston area, there's a 6 pack waiting for you for all your hard work.

majid_sabet

Jul 2, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #73 of 77 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a-e-jones wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Aric

The black sheep is DEAD

leave it alone

maybe i'm wrong but the way i'm reading this comment is the guy who chases ambulances from local crags is telling the guy who breaks/disassembles things he needs to get a life???

cheers for this aric hopefully some good will come out of your hard unpaid work, its a shame that some people dont think you should be allowed to defend yourself/have fun with someone who is playing arm chair engineer (roy)

I am going to stop ARIC from destroying CCH reputation

GeneralZon

Jul 2, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #74 of 77 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Majid, you have it all wrong. Aric isn't destroying CCH's reputation, CCH has destroyed their OWN reputation by having shitty QA/QC processes in place.

This surprises me since you are the King of I&A. I guess if gear failure was eliminated from the picture, you would have a few less I&A forums to post.Crazy

Gmburns2000

Jul 2, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #75 of 77 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] Looking for anyone who's had an Alien fail in the wild [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid, you have it all wrong. Aric isn't destroying CCH's reputation, CCH has destroyed their OWN reputation by having shitty QA/QC processes in place.

This surprises me since you are the King of I&A. I guess if gear failure was eliminated from the picture, you would have a few less I&A forums to post.Crazy

nevermind him. he wasn't wearing his helmet.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook