RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jermanimal

Jan 3, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1667 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Coyote and Gambit Owners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been using a well worn pair of Coyotes and just got a pair of Gambits in the same 9.0(42) size.

They seem to have a similar fit out of the box, but will the Gambits stretch like the Coyotes? Any one used both of these shoes.

My Gambits are really tight, and if they do not fill out a little, they have just too much toe curl for my liking. The Coyotes are a lined leather so they were supposed to stretch 1/3 size, the gambits are a full syn and not supposed to stretch much, but it they do I should probably return for the size up.

(The difference might be in the rand on the gambit coming over the toe and the open top to rand on the coyote. ??)

Anyway, real life user input would be helpful.

(This post was edited by jermanimal on Jan 3, 2008, 4:31 PM)

hiyapokey

Jan 3, 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jermanimal] 5.10 Coyote and Gambit Owners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a pair of Gambits and tried on both 11 and 10.5. The box says they will stretch a little, but just enough to conform to the individuals foot. If my shoes don't stretch at all I could deal with that, but hope they do stretch a little. I started out in spires and loved them, although I think they stretched a little too much after having started what seemed like too tight to me (at the time). I've climbed with the Gambits in the gym once so far and really liked them. I especially felt super secure on really thin foot chips, but not so much on smoothish smeary stuff. When I tried on the Coyotes they felt really sloppy in my size but only in the toe. The Madrock Phoenixs felt similar to the Coyotes. I also tried on the Evolv Defys which felt great in the toe and mid foot, but the heel cup was really loose on me. Thanks for posting, I've wanted to babble about my Gambits on line since I got them.

jermanimal

Jan 3, 2008, 9:43 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] 5.10 Coyote and Gambit Owners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely couldn't deal with them this tight. I will go for a half size smaller and see how it goes.

I have to say I really liked my coyotes, they had a nice glove like fit and were super comfy. The smeared well, but have started to come off the little foot jibs at the starts on boldering wall. They also have a lame duck heel. That said If I had to, I would keep rocking them these are not that big of problems...will certainly get new rubber put on them and keep in bag or leave near my garage bolder.

justinboening

Jan 4, 2008, 6:06 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Coyotes are actually UNlined leather uppers, which, by fiveten's estimations, puts them in the ballpark of a full size in stretch. The Gambit has been reviewed (I forget by whom) and the review was something to the extent of "stretches out too much to be useful for all day climbing, not precise enough to be a weapon--B-" Check it out--RockandIce or Climbing.

jermanimal

Jan 4, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justinboening] 5.10 Coyote and Gambit Owners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justinboening wrote:
The Coyotes are actually UNlined leather uppers, which, by fiveten's estimations, puts them in the ballpark of a full size in stretch. The Gambit has been reviewed (I forget by whom) and the review was something to the extent of "stretches out too much to be useful for all day climbing, not precise enough to be a weapon--B-" Check it out--RockandIce or Climbing.

That is funny...I just saw that on their site too, my compliments to shoe sites that have incorrect information...I got about 1/2 a size stretch, people with wider feet might see more.

justinboening

Jan 5, 2008, 3:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey jermanimal,

if your shoes are fully lined, then they're not Coyotes. Or maybe, they're part of some odd production run. Would you mind posting a picture of them? I'm curious.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook