Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Backpack choices for light hiking trips?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

imindless90

Mar 26, 2013, 2:38 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Backpack choices for light hiking trips?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not an expert climber/hiker but after using a cinch or draw string bag on my hike for hours, trying to limit the weight I have on my body and only carrying water, climbing shoes, gloves, knife, climbers tape and thats about it.

I am looking for a "trail" bag which holds limited things but is still water-resistant, extremely light, can carry probably less than 10 pounds, a water reservoir if possible (my camel back patch doesnt come out of my camelbak), a pocket for a water bottle would be nice too and also has support for your back (I try to avoid frameless if possible).

I have looked at a few cheapies but the might do the job. Maybe there is a quality bag around those prices that does what I need but I just don't know what all is out there.

Swiss Gear Ridgeliner backpack
Swiss Gear Long trail backpack
REI Lookout
REI Traverse 30 pack

Any other suggestions?

:)

Kartessa

Mar 26, 2013, 1:31 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imindless90] Backpack choices for light hiking trips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

imindless90 wrote:
I am not an expert climber/hiker but after using a cinch or draw string bag on my hike for hours, trying to limit the weight I have on my body and only carrying water, climbing shoes, gloves, knife, climbers tape and thats about it.

I am looking for a "trail" bag which holds limited things but is still water-resistant, extremely light, can carry probably less than 10 pounds, a water reservoir if possible (my camel back patch doesnt come out of my camelbak), a pocket for a water bottle would be nice too and also has support for your back (I try to avoid frameless if possible).

I have looked at a few cheapies but the might do the job. Maybe there is a quality bag around those prices that does what I need but I just don't know what all is out there.

Swiss Gear Ridgeliner backpack
Swiss Gear Long trail backpack
REI Lookout
REI Traverse 30 pack

Any other suggestions?

:)

For the record, I find swiss gear to really be geared to old people who spend more time on a bus/plane/train/car than actually on a trail... or high school students who's parents found the bag at a good price at costco.

The Traverse 30 looks good, but do you really need 30L? The stuff you said you need to carry will be more like 10-15L.

You're not going to find many framed backpacks under 30L though. Deuter makes a few really nice, framed, lightweight packs in the 10-20L range. They all come with a rain cover. Though, if you're carrying less than 10lbs, its not really necessary, you're just adding weight to the pack for no real gain.

*Also, check out the Black Diamond Nitro. I have the women's Pulse and I frikkin love it.*

The best thing to do is head down to a gear store and play around with what they have. Make sure the bag has the compartments you want, enough space, but dont go too big. A 3/4 empty bag will not keep the contents secure and you might feel everything shifting around as you hike.

The "New Generation" Nitro
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...in/packs/nitro-pack/

The "Old Version" Nitro (Super cheap right now!)
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Nitro-Backpack-1340-1465cu/dp/B00343C2EC

Deuter Race X
http://www.backcountry.com/...-x-backpack-900cu-in

Deuter Futura 22
http://www.mec.ca/...utura-22-daypack.jsp
The Futura is super nice :)

imindless90

Mar 26, 2013, 4:29 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Backpack choices for light hiking trips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for that incite, it helps unbelievably! I am headed to REI later today and will be checking out some smaller backpacks like the ones you have recommended! :)

ianwatson

Apr 2, 2013, 9:11 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imindless90] Backpack choices for light hiking trips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the traverse 30 and love it. It has tons of padding and can hold weight very well for a 30L pack. That being said it may be to much pack for what you are wanting. If you want a all around pack that can carry everything for a day then this would work but it is way over built for 10lbs of gear. I have taken it hiking, fishing, bouldering, sport climbing, and even stuffed a full trad rack into it with my chalk bag, harness and shoes and it worked well for everything.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook