Premier Sponsor:

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 21, 2001, 6:54 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Grigri vs. ATC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Give me the pro's and con's of this battle. I wouldn't spend 75 dollars on something that I don't need because I am doing it with the ATC that I got for ten dollars. Maybe I am missing something.

Partner russman

Aug 21, 2001, 1:12 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Grigri vs. ATC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

we have talked about this and not too long ago...goto the following link, it is another topic about this

Keep your head in the Game

I personally use an ATC at the rocks, but in my garage when I am teaching (pepole like my wife) who haven't done it before, i use a GriGri. Check out the other post

wigglestick

Aug 21, 2001, 7:54 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Grigri vs. ATC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It also depends on what you are going to be climbing. If you are just going to the gym or short sport climbs than a Gri Gri is fine but if you are ever going to do anything more than 1/2 a rope length then you are going to need an ATC or similar device to get down unless you rig some kind of crazy system and rappel on a single strand and then pull it down with the other rope. If you only want to buy a single belay device than I would not suggest getting a grigri unless you only plan on climbing in a gym and short routes. But for most people a grigri is a second device that people use in certain situations. I use mine for the long (2-3 Hour) belays on aid routes where your attention will inevitably drift.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook