Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Cross-Training shoes or Hiking shoes? Which one to get?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

imindless90

Mar 26, 2013, 2:12 AM
Post #1 of 2 (2049 views)
Shortcut

Cross-Training shoes or Hiking shoes? Which one to get?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have tried to do some research on the differences between Cross-training shoes and hiking shoes/boots. I don't know which one is best for me.

Mostly, I am looking for a shoe low-mid height that is as light as possible, is breathable in the texas dry/hot climate, is some what protective from cacti and maybe snakes. Any recommendations? I rather synthetic not leather.

The weather will only get hotter and more dry as the summer goes on but I still need to be in the shoes comfortably for 5-7 hour hikes on trails/non-trails of uneven and rocky paths, when not bouldering with climbing shoes and having plenty of traction with them.

I seem to be going around in circles with which type of shoe to get.. Any direction would be helpful.

I have briefly looked at merrill moab ventilator and a few others.

Thanks!

larwood91

Mar 26, 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imindless90] Cross-Training shoes or Hiking shoes? Which one to get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eh, it's all up to you and your personal preference being in Texas. If it were me I would probably just wear Chacos everywhere like I do here in the summer- you just have to be careful with your snake/cactus concern.

With that said I also have a pair of Goretex Moab Mids. I'm actually wearing them now. Great hiking shoe for the money, and waterproof. Pair it with a good sock and you can keep your feet relatively cool while offering better protection and support. Definitely the better option for 5-7 hour hikes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook