RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kaptk

Mar 27, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Petzl Elios Class Helmet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a new helmet from Petzl that I saw at REI.com. I was planning on getting the Ecrin Roc, but this helmet is about $20 cheaper. I would like to know if anyone has this helmet or has heard anything about it. I have a 20% coupon that expires on April 3.

pacpres

Mar 28, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Petzl Elios Class Helmet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Elios is an attempt to combine the Meteor and the Ecrin style helmets. The price definitely makes it attractive. I'd determine your use criteria. The Ecrin is going to be best fitting / performing / long lasting of the two - in terms of overall climbing endevours. The Elios is perhaps a teensy bit lighter and has a slighlty smaller profile look (for those fashion conscious climbers) In achieving these aspects though you get a helmet that sits right on your noggin ( as oppose to "floating" like the Ecrin) This can effect performance in a direct hit from falling rock and can reduce ventilation causing the helmet to be bit warmer. The harness / cradle sytem fits well enough. So which one then?? If you are doing light trad and sport climbing in well travelled "safer areas" and feel the need for added protection but not super necessary protection - save some money. If you want the still tried and true nice fitting great performing helmet for just about anywhere - spend the extra bones! Hope that hepls.

David

floof

Mar 28, 2002, 8:06 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Elios Class goes for US$38.51 on barrabes.com + ~$10 for shipping. Oh man that site is soo cheap.

daisuke

Mar 28, 2002, 5:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the elios class was probably made to compete directly with the black diamond hemisphere that has a similar design. depending on what you climb you might not want to get the ecrin anyway. if you're only planning on doing sport then I'd go for the elios as you'll only be using it to cover your head from hitting against the rock in the event of a fall. The meteor does this as well, the elios just seems a bit more long lasting than the meteor

have a look at the helmet hunting article I put up in the articles section.

D

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook