RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ACJ

Mar 20, 2013, 4:28 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Thoughts on Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've destroyed a lot of gear over the years and have never been pleased with anything the outdoor industry seems to make and now rock out with Helly Hansen raingear since it's dirt cheap and infinitely waterproof.

Now my $60 set has worn out after 4 years and my job has changed so I am looking for something that could possibly be more durable.

I'm working as a cell tower climber and spend 12 hour days in the driving rain climbing in a jungle of galvanized metal. The PVC seems to "catch" sharp edges so I'm looking for something that will drag past the edges instead. I'm wondering if anyone else works in this realm and has found decent rain gear that can keep you dry and also survive on the towers? If not, anyone have experience with gear that seems truly bombproof?

I've heard great things about the Alpha SV, but will it last or am I better off buying multiple sets of something else?

Thanks for any thoughts, gear recommendations, rants and whatever else.

sittingduck

Mar 20, 2013, 6:31 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] Thoughts on Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have used Alpha SVs for years. It is durable, high quality and functional. Highly recommended for alpine climbing. I would have tested it in the cell towers.

Some friends of mine have shells made by Klättermusen. The pants and jackets seems to be indestructible.

jp_sucks

Mar 20, 2013, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The Alpha SV is a great jacket (I own one) but I wouldn't recommend it for what you're describing. If you "catch it" on a sharp edge and destroy it, it will be a very costly accident.

I would buy the cheapest fully waterproof jacket you can find and then it won't be such a big deal when you have to replace it.

If you want to buy a nice jacket like the Alpha SV, keep it for your personal adventures and don't use it at work.

ACJ

Mar 20, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what Arc'teryx has to say:

In reply to:
Hello Bryan,

From a wind and weather conditions standpoint, we have had many people take their Alpha SV Jacket into this setting. This is what the jacket was designed for. High winds with various conditions such as rain, sleet and snow. The durability of the jacket will withstand any weather conditions and elemental abrasions.

With this said, you will need to take care against tearing your jacket as it will not stand up to sharp objects. Ripping and puncturing can happen with any Gore-tex material as it is a stiff tight weaved fabric.

We can certainly send you gore-tex patches if your item does rip but ideally it will not be longer than an inch and a half. Patching a tear longer than this ca be problematic. You can send items back to us for repairs. We usually charge less or not at all for patching but it the tear is severe, repanelling the jacket can cost between $40-$80 but this will replace the entire piece of fabric that the rip is on.

The Alpha SV ad Theta SV Jackets are our most rugged fully wind and waterproof jackets and should be the best for your uses.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Arc'teryx Service Team

marc801

Mar 20, 2013, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
I've destroyed a lot of gear over the years and have never been pleased with anything the outdoor industry seems to make...
Some people are just hard and abusive to gear, no matter who makes it or how well made it may be.

ACJ

Mar 20, 2013, 8:47 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Thoughts on Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ACJ wrote:
I've destroyed a lot of gear over the years and have never been pleased with anything the outdoor industry seems to make...
Some people are just hard and abusive to gear, no matter who makes it or how well made it may be.

So true, I'm always hoping for that ultralight suit of armor... I'm ex military so I guess I think back to the gear I had there and compare it to my current climbing world with lightweight applications which just isn't fair to the manufacturers.

marc801

Mar 20, 2013, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
So true, I'm always hoping for that ultralight suit of armor... I'm ex military so I guess I think back to the gear I had there and compare it to my current climbing world with lightweight applications which just isn't fair to the manufacturers.
The gear is also designed for two radically different applications - it's a flawed comparison.

ACJ

Mar 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Thoughts on Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The trickle down will happen. Anyone else have other thoughts on tough gear to give a try?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook