RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Gdog42

Apr 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Cord Strength?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently bought a 5m length of pre-cut cord so I can use it specifically for prusiks/autoblocks. I will not be using it for anchors (I prefer slings for that!)

The diameter is 7mm, which I know is suitable for this purpose but the strength rating is 9.8 kN

I've previously used cords for multiple purposes that are stronger than this (10-12 kN range), but since falling with a prusik on the rope wouldn't result in a high-impact force, do you think 9.8 kN should be ok if this is all I'm using it for?

(This post was edited by Gdog42 on Apr 24, 2013, 10:36 PM)

redlude97

Apr 24, 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gdog42] Cord Strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

form a loop and it doubles the strength minus the knot. Its fine. 6mm is fine.

moose_droppings

Apr 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gdog42] Cord Strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gdog42 wrote:
I recently bought a 5m length of pre-cut cord so I can use it specifically for prusiks/autoblocks. I will not be using it for anchors (I prefer slings for that!)

The diameter is 7mm, which I know is suitable for this purpose but the strength rating is 9.8 kN

I've previously used cords for multiple purposes that are stronger than this (10-12 kN range), but since falling with a prusik on the rope wouldn't result in a high-impact force, do you think 9.8 kN should be ok if this is all I'm using it for?

If your just using it for a prusik (rope grab) then weight isn't as important as size. You'll want a cord size that is around 3mm smaller than the cord/rope your using it on. The larger difference in size the less raps you'll need for it to be efficient.

BTW, 7mm cord is plenty strong enough for anchors especially when looped which doubles it's strength minus the loss for the knot.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Apr 24, 2013, 11:01 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook