Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Tree_wrangler

Dec 25, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #26 of 59 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jr12288] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
While it is true that overtightening a bolt can cause metal fatigue there still needs to be more tension pulling the bolt into the face than there is weight hangin on it for it to hold.

No.

Think about the physics of how a nut threads on to a screw. The harder you tighten that nut (the nut is pushing against the rock, not on the bolt), the more the nut is trying to pull the bolt OUT of the rock. The bolt (if you're using a rawl, say) is set before you thread the nut.

The reason that you want the hanger tight is to lessen lateral torque on the end of the bolt, not "hold the bolt in". It just needs to be snug, and no more.

esoteric1

Dec 25, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #27 of 59 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
In reply to:
While it is true that overtightening a bolt can cause metal fatigue there still needs to be more tension pulling the bolt into the face than there is weight hangin on it for it to hold.

No.

Think about the physics of how a nut threads on to a screw. The harder you tighten that nut (the nut is pushing against the rock, not on the bolt), the more the nut is trying to pull the bolt OUT of the rock. The bolt (if you're using a rawl, say) is set before you thread the nut.

The reason that you want the hanger tight is to lessen lateral torque on the end of the bolt, not "hold the bolt in". It just needs to be snug, and no more.

dude, you have a 5 piece with a nut? where did you find those? Unimpressed

Maddhatter

Dec 25, 2008, 9:51 PM
Post #28 of 59 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok it's bolts for dumbies time.

In a 5 piece you are right there is no nut.
This in no way means a loose hanger is ok.

In One pic the bolt is taken apart just so you can see what "5" means. If you count the small washer there is really 6 plus the hanger. so 7 when in the rock with a hanger.

You should be able to see how when you turn the bolt the "cone" is threaded and is pulled up into the sleeve making the sleeve get wider and thus holding the bolt tightly into the hole.

If the bolt is loose the cone can be loose in the sleeve and not have enough pressure on the sides of the hole to keep the bolt in place.

It is pretty simple but more times then not it is the "simple" things that get you killed. Only a bolt that is tight with the cone pulled tightly into the sleeve is a "safe bolt" Given the rock and hole are good also.

Also the blue washer is a "crush washer" it is there so when you feel it crush you know the bolt is almost tight enough. It's a feel thing not a set number.
Just tight but not cranked to the hilt. The threads in the cone can be stripped out if you over tighten the bolt.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Dec 25, 2008, 10:12 PM)

churningindawake

Dec 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #29 of 59 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:
I have often clipped bolts that were so loose I could unscrew the nut or bolt off / out by hand and remove the hanger / bolt. So I am wondering if this is actually dangerous. I have done some research on this topic and found two answers.

1. The bolt is dangerous because expansion bolts work by expanding a sleeve or cone when the bolt is under tension and when the bolt becomes loose the sleeve or cone relaxes and is the returns to the same diameter leaving absolutely nothing to keep the bolt in the rock.

2. The bolt is not dangerous because when someone initially places a bolt the expanding sleeve is permanently wedged into the rock and even if the bolt becomes loose the sleeve still stays in place due to the friction created from the initial placement.

Although I know answer number two is likely true regarding some bolts in some cases, it’s not true regarding others. I have removed cone type expansion bolts on many occasions and all I had to do was loosen the nut and they came right out with a slight pull on a pribar.

How about the most commonly used bolt, the Rawl / Powers 5-piece expansion bolt? Is that bolt dangerous if loose?

Any movement in the hanger is bad. It's a matter of how bad. In perfect rock and a perfect hole rules may apply. In the real world all hangers that spin are bad.
All bolts (other then glue in) are "expansion" bolts some take and some just don't without the nut. No matter what repeated hits on a loose hanger will in time weaken the bolt or move it out. I have put a lot of wires on studs with only a nut but have never been happy about doing it. It is a unsafe type of pro but much better then nothing.

There's a local route that is called 'wiring the transatlantic'. The story behind it is that the FAist didn't have the money for hangers, so he placed the bolts and placed wires on lead.

Where I climb there is a route where to FA ran out of hangers so they put 2 links of chain on each of the bolts.
That works lol.

churningindawake

Dec 25, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #30 of 59 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:

In One pic the bolt is taken apart just so you can see what "5" means. If you count the small washer there is really 6 plus the hanger. so 7 when in the rock with a hanger.

You should be able to see how when you turn the bolt the "cone" is threaded and is pulled up into the sleeve making the sleeve get wider and thus holding the bolt tightly into the hole.

If the bolt is loose the cone can be loose in the sleeve and not have enough pressure on the sides of the hole to keep the bolt in place.

It is pretty simple but more times then not it is the "simple" things that get you killed. Only a bolt that is tight with the cone pulled tightly into the sleeve is a "safe bolt" Given the rock and hole are good also.

[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/maddhatter1/BOLTS002.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/maddhatter1/BOLTS003.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/maddhatter1/BOLTS001.jpg[/IMG]

Also the blue washer is a "crush washer" it is there so when you feel it crush you know the bolt is almost tight enough. It's a feel thing not a set number.
Just tight but not cranked to the hilt. The threads in the cone can be stripped out if you over tighten the bolt.
Damn,
Those are some small bolts, what are they like 2 inch? We usually place 3 1/2 inch bolts.

esoteric1

Dec 25, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #31 of 59 (2369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [churningindawake] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im glad someone out there can afford to place 5 pieces.

Tree_wrangler

Dec 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #32 of 59 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No.

dude, you have a 5 piece with a nut? where did you find those?

Sorry, I was thinking of a FIXE removable, which operates identically to a Powers Rawl, but has threads and a nut.

Nobody around here even uses those Powers bolts, so I don't see them often.

Still, the point stands. Overcranking a "nutted" bolt doesn't help, it hurts.

esoteric1

Dec 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #33 of 59 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im way over fixe bolts, I got a batch that was the wrong size, and got a few stuck, id rather deal with powers, at least they know what the diameter of their bolts are.
other than that, if you arent familiar with bolt torque and havent placed any, do NOT tighten the nut any more than "snug" especially with 5 piece bolts, and if you dont know how to tell a 5 piece from anything else, get on a different route, and let someone know that knows. better to just let someone fix it rather than making it dangerous-er.

Maddhatter

Dec 26, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #34 of 59 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:

Damn,
Those are some small bolts, what are they like 2 inch? We usually place 3 1/2 inch bolts.

Yea, 2". I would never use one in softer rock types. It was just the first one I grabbed.

churningindawake

Dec 26, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #35 of 59 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
churningindawake wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:

Damn,

Yea, 2". I would never use one in softer rock types. It was just the first one I grabbed.
Nice LOL.
2 inch is tiny...

esoteric1

Dec 26, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #36 of 59 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
churningindawake wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:

Damn,

Nice LOL.
2 inch is tiny...
better for when your drilling on lead, then again, maybe no one does that anymore

Maddhatter

Dec 26, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #37 of 59 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of 2" myself. If it is perfect granite and a flat placement there fine. Other then that I will use ones a bit longer. I used 3 1/2" in J-tree (soft granite)
Or if it's Sand stone, Lime stone, tuff, and so on.
Yes, Ground up is still the way I think new lines should be done for climbers at my level. But I'm not a hater. I understand some of the new crazy hard lines just can't be done that way. I mostly just replace old crappy bolts and Anchors. So the cost of the bolts are not a big deal.

churningindawake

Dec 26, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #38 of 59 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are doing some new lines, mostly in the hard 5.12 range. Ground up is out of question. it is hard enough to do them from the top down! Especially when they are massively overhanging off little hook placements!

Lazlo

Dec 26, 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #39 of 59 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
We are doing some new lines, mostly in the hard 5.12 range. Ground up is out of question. it is hard enough to do them from the top down! Especially when they are massively overhanging off little hook placements!

You make me smile.

USnavy

Dec 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #40 of 59 (2275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ground up is a good way to make a really shitty route that should later be chopped and rebolted on rap. No one gives a damm about someone’s first assent. What they care about is that the route is bolted as intelligent and safe as possible. The FA's onsight is not more important then the next 1,000 assents that will come afterwards by other people. If you only bolt a route with regards to your FA and you don’t care about how safe it is or how well the bolts are placed you are not worthy enough to bolt routes.

There is nothing more I hate then climbing some ghetto rigged sport route that has a bolt at every rest spot and huge run outs over the hard sections because it was bolted from the ground up. That is completely unacceptable. Bolt right or dont bolt at all...

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 28, 2008, 10:31 AM)

dingus

Dec 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #41 of 59 (2268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Ground up is a good way to make a really shitty route that should later be chopped and rebolted on rap. No one gives a damm about someone’s first assent. What they care about is that the route is bolted as intelligent and safe as possible. The FA's onsight is not more important then the next 1,000 assents that will come afterwards by other people.

Ah yes the Tyranny of the Masses.

A. You're absolutely wrong. Thousands upon thousands of climbers appreciate and value the onsight FA, the ground-up ethic and the traditions upon which this sport was built.

B. The notion that a ground up FA requiring bolt work will automatically produce dubstandard work is laughable.

Laughable. You done been drinking the internet koolaid too long dude. You need to get out some - see the climbing world. Its not all 50' clip ups you know.

DMT

ja1484

Dec 28, 2008, 2:39 PM
Post #42 of 59 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
so you can remove the hanger easily? Is that not a clear sign? If the hanger comes off it doesn't matter if the bolt is good or not.

Yeah it does. It just becomes a rivet without the hanger.

esoteric1

Dec 28, 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #43 of 59 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just because a route is safe doenst make it good, there has to be routes that are run out out there, if you dont like runouts, stay off the route, lots of people like burning for the next placement/bolt. at least i do, so thats how I bolt. tell ya what navy, ill stay off all the routes with bolts every 3 feet if you stay off of anything you could possibly botch a clip on and go for an extra 4 feet.

Maddhatter

Dec 28, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #44 of 59 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Ground up is a good way to make a really shitty route that should later be chopped and rebolted on rap. No one gives a damm about someone’s first assent. What they care about is that the route is bolted as intelligent and safe as possible. The FA's onsight is not more important then the next 1,000 assents that will come afterwards by other people. If you only bolt a route with regards to your FA and you don’t care about how safe it is or how well the bolts are placed you are not worthy enough to bolt routes.

There is nothing more I hate then climbing some ghetto rigged sport route that has a bolt at every rest spot and huge run outs over the hard sections because it was bolted from the ground up. That is completely unacceptable. Bolt right or dont bolt at all...

Yea, What ever brings it down to your level I guess.
If you hate run outs that much stay in the gym.
Ground up is an art if you don't respect the artist, do another climb. I'm not anti rap bolting but if it can be done ground up it should be. Then rapped and rebolted if needed. It's up to the FA'ist to make that call.

Lazlo

Dec 29, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #45 of 59 (2198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Yea, What ever brings it down to your level I guess.
If you hate run outs that much stay in the gym.
Ground up is an art if you don't respect the artist, do another climb. I'm not anti rap bolting but if it can be done ground up it should be. Then rapped and rebolted if needed. It's up to the FA'ist to make that call.

Agreed.

USnavy

Dec 30, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #46 of 59 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It’s not as much that I hate run outs as that I like sport. Sport climbing does not include run outs. If there is 20 feet between bolts, the route is not sport. If you can hit the ground from 30 feet up due to shitty bolt placements, the route is not sport. Against common belief, the term "sport" is not simply defined by any route that has some bolts on it and does not require gear. The term sport only applies to a route that is adequately bolted from top to bottom with spacing sufficient to prevent a ground fall in most cases with no requirements for traditional gear. In layman’s terms, if the route has run outs or requires gear, its not sport. It’s either mixed (requiring some gear over the run outs) or just a climb that has run outs on it (PG-13, R, X).

I don’t like sport routes with a bolt every 3 feet any more then anyone else. My current 5.12 project has a hard 5.11+ move that is 8 feet above the last bolt with 8 – 12 feet between bolts. However I like to get on a route and climb at my max without having to worry about killing myself from a ground fall if I can’t make the 5.12 crux 15 feet above the last bolt, 30 feet off the ground. Run outs have their place, just not on sport routes. Such is reserved for R, X, and multi-pitch.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 30, 2008, 3:30 AM)

Lazlo

Dec 30, 2008, 3:31 AM
Post #47 of 59 (2154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
It’s not as much that I hate run outs as that I like sport. Sport climbing does not include run outs. If there is 20 feet between bolts, the route is not sport. If you can hit the ground from 30 feet up due to shitty bolt placements, the route is not sport. Against common belief, the term "sport" is not simply defined by any route that has some bolts on it and does not require gear. The term sport only applies to a route that is adequately bolted from top to bottom with spacing sufficient to prevent a ground fall in most cases with no requirements for traditional gear. In layman’s terms, if the route has run outs or requires gear, its not sport. It’s either mixed (requiring some gear over the run outs) or just a climb that has run outs on it (PG-13, R, X).

I don’t like sport routes with a bolt every 3 feet any more then anyone else. My current 5.12 project has a hard 5.11+ move that is 8 feet above the last bolt with 8 – 12 feet between bolts. However I like to get on a route and climb at my max without having to worry about killing myself from a ground fall if I can’t make the 5.12 crux 15 feet above the last bolt, 30 feet off the ground. Run outs have their place, just not on sport routes. Such is reserved for R, X, and multi-pitch.

Get better at climbing. If they bolted on lead, certainly you can onsite it!Tongue

the_leech

Dec 30, 2008, 5:16 AM
Post #48 of 59 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

Attention! ATTENTION!!!

USNerdy likes sport routes!

For this reason, it is hereby proclaimed that all runout, ground up routes suck and must be BANNNZZED immediately!

BANZ THEM NOW!!!!

lrossi

Dec 30, 2008, 5:48 AM
Post #49 of 59 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
if it can be done ground up it should be. Then rapped and rebolted if needed. It's up to the FA'ist to make that call.

[I'm too much of a gumby to step into this discussion with an opinion, so take my question at face value. It's just an honest question.]

What's the purpose of bolting it ground up if it's going to be rebolted on rap? Are you saying that it should at least be attempted ground up and rebolted in case that doesn't work out? Or that it should be done ground up even if it's clear from the beginning that this will result in a poor bolt job?

Lazlo

Dec 30, 2008, 5:57 AM
Post #50 of 59 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lrossi] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
if it can be done ground up it should be. Then rapped and rebolted if needed. It's up to the FA'ist to make that call.

[I'm too much of a gumby to step into this discussion with an opinion, so take my question at face value. It's just an honest question.]

What's the purpose of bolting it ground up if it's going to be rebolted on rap? Are you saying that it should at least be attempted ground up and rebolted in case that doesn't work out? Or that it should be done ground up even if it's clear from the beginning that this will result in a poor bolt job?

I think I can speak for Madd...

To the First Ascentionist; that first lead is going to mean more than just simply having a line for others to climb. SO; he's going to climb the line. He'll protect it enough to keep himself 'comfortable'...and if he wants future generations to enjoy it as well; then he might rap bolt it. Or he might not.

*or, if it's at a popular crag, he might rap bolt it just because he knows people will get on it, not knowing it's R rated.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook