RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Mr-P

Jun 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #1 of 5 (7376 views)
Shortcut

MSR Reactor + Jetboil hanging kit mod
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've seen an older thread discussing this very topic, but I don't think anyone has actually tried using JB hanging kit with the MSR reactor. I did, and found that is not stable at all.
The stove slides within the triangle if a minor force is applied (not a good prospect if the force is 1 liter of boiling water).

So I made a cheap supporting base from an unused windscreen. I used the bottom of the pot as size reference for the circle, then made two small holes (one for the connector to the canister, and the one next to it) so this base would sit between the canister and the stove, but not interfering with the attachment of the canister at all.

Now, because the windscreen material is firmbut malleable, folding the sides around the triangle, keeps the stove firmly in place. It doesn't move at all alone, or with a full pot on it. Is easy to place, remove and store. The kit weights next to nothing.

So there. I bought the kit on ebay for 20 bucks and now I got myself a hanging Reactor. I have taken this stove above 5000 meters and it never failed. I just love the damn thing, is superlight and the base can be stored in the pot, with the stove and a small canister.

I only used a pen, scissors and a swissarmy knife so it ain't too fancy.

Maybe this info will be useful to someone. :)
Attachments: base1.JPG (131 KB)
  base2.JPG (137 KB)
  base3.JPG (147 KB)
  base4.JPG (53.7 KB)

evanwish

Jun 6, 2010, 5:01 AM
Post #2 of 5 (7326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mr-P] MSR Reactor + Jetboil hanging kit mod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mr-P wrote:
I've seen an older thread discussing this very topic, but I don't think anyone has actually tried using JB hanging kit with the MSR reactor. I did, and found that is not stable at all.
The stove slides within the triangle if a minor force is applied (not a good prospect if the force is 1 liter of boiling water).

So I made a cheap supporting base from an unused windscreen. I used the bottom of the pot as size reference for the circle, then made two small holes (one for the connector to the canister, and the one next to it) so this base would sit between the canister and the stove, but not interfering with the attachment of the canister at all.

Now, because the windscreen material is firmbut malleable, folding the sides around the triangle, keeps the stove firmly in place. It doesn't move at all alone, or with a full pot on it. Is easy to place, remove and store. The kit weights next to nothing.

So there. I bought the kit on ebay for 20 bucks and now I got myself a hanging Reactor. I have taken this stove above 5000 meters and it never failed. I just love the damn thing, is superlight and the base can be stored in the pot, with the stove and a small canister.

I only used a pen, scissors and a swissarmy knife so it ain't too fancy.

Maybe this info will be useful to someone. :)

Let there be pictures!!

altelis

Jun 9, 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #3 of 5 (7216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mr-P] MSR Reactor + Jetboil hanging kit mod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude thanks for this- this is exactly the solution i was looking for!

PS- works well out of a beer can. 24 ouncer needed to get the right diameter Cool

Mr-P

Jun 12, 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #4 of 5 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] MSR Reactor + Jetboil hanging kit mod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've should've thought of that, emptying the beer can will definetely make it more fun to build.

Evan, thanks for pasting the pics to show,

blacklab2020

Apr 2, 2013, 8:27 PM
Post #5 of 5 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanwish] MSR Reactor + Jetboil hanging kit mod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried this modification and have 1 recommendation.

Widen the aperture of the center hole to fit around the top rim of the fuel canister. You wont need the second hole in this scenario.

The important point is that the way this is constructed in the pictures of the original post will prevent a complete seal with the stove and the canister. There is an o-ring in the stove that needs to be compressed down against the canister. Depending on the number of folds in or thickness of the windscreen used, this can vary the degree of the seal.

I used this two nights in a row above treeline lately, with no issues with this variation of the setup.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook