Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

USnavy

Dec 21, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #1 of 59 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Are loose bolts dangerous?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have often clipped bolts that were so loose I could unscrew the nut or bolt off / out by hand and remove the hanger / bolt. So I am wondering if this is actually dangerous. I have done some research on this topic and found two answers.

1. The bolt is dangerous because expansion bolts work by expanding a sleeve or cone when the bolt is under tension and when the bolt becomes loose the sleeve or cone relaxes and is the returns to the same diameter leaving absolutely nothing to keep the bolt in the rock.

2. The bolt is not dangerous because when someone initially places a bolt the expanding sleeve is permanently wedged into the rock and even if the bolt becomes loose the sleeve still stays in place due to the friction created from the initial placement.

Although I know answer number two is likely true regarding some bolts in some cases, it’s not true regarding others. I have removed cone type expansion bolts on many occasions and all I had to do was loosen the nut and they came right out with a slight pull on a pribar.

How about the most commonly used bolt, the Rawl / Powers 5-piece expansion bolt? Is that bolt dangerous if loose?

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 59 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I have often clipped bolts that were so loose I could unscrew the nut or bolt off / out by hand and remove the hanger / bolt. So I am wondering if this is actually dangerous. I have done some research on this topic and found two answers.

1. The bolt is dangerous because expansion bolts work by expanding a sleeve or cone when the bolt is under tension and when the bolt becomes loose the sleeve or cone relaxes and is the returns to the same diameter leaving absolutely nothing to keep the bolt in the rock.

2. The bolt is not dangerous because when someone initially places a bolt the expanding sleeve is permanently wedged into the rock and even if the bolt becomes loose the sleeve still stays in place due to the friction created from the initial placement.

Although I know answer number two is likely true regarding some bolts in some cases, it’s not true regarding others. I have removed cone type expansion bolts on many occasions and all I had to do was loosen the nut and they came right out with a slight pull on a pribar.

How about the most commonly used bolt, the Rawl / Powers 5-piece expansion bolt? Is that bolt dangerous if loose?

There's only several threads holding the bolt into the cone...in other words; give it several twists and it's out. The bolt; that is...not the sleeve. The sleeve is difficult to remove.

I love the RAWL when placed right. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

EDIT: Let me expound on that by adding:

Loose= potentially dangerous.
Very loose=Very dangerous.

(This post was edited by Lazlo on Dec 21, 2008, 8:27 PM)

taydude

Dec 21, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #3 of 59 (5253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so you can remove the hanger easily? Is that not a clear sign? If the hanger comes off it doesn't matter if the bolt is good or not.

Maddhatter

Dec 21, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 59 (5246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

Any movement in the hanger is bad. It's a matter of how bad. In perfect rock and a perfect hole rules may apply. In the real world all hangers that spin are bad.
All bolts (other then glue in) are "expansion" bolts some take and some just don't without the nut. No matter what repeated hits on a loose hanger will in time weaken the bolt or move it out. I have put a lot of wires on studs with only a nut but have never been happy about doing it. It is a unsafe type of pro but much better then nothing.

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #5 of 59 (5240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Any movement in the hanger is bad. It's a matter of how bad. In perfect rock and a perfect hole rules may apply. In the real world all hangers that spin are bad.
All bolts (other then glue in) are "expansion" bolts some take and some just don't without the nut. No matter what repeated hits on a loose hanger will in time weaken the bolt or move it out. I have put a lot of wires on studs with only a nut but have never been happy about doing it. It is a unsafe type of pro but much better then nothing.

There's a local route that is called 'wiring the transatlantic'. The story behind it is that the FAist didn't have the money for hangers, so he placed the bolts and placed wires on lead.

sed

Dec 21, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #6 of 59 (5186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My comment would be that any bolt/hanger is less safe loose than it would be tight. I would think this is particularly true of sleeve anchors like the powers but also true of wedge anchors to a lesser degree. I will and have clipped loose and horrible bolts when no alternative was present but in those situations I climb knowing that I really shouldn't fall.Shocked

kovacs69

Dec 21, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 59 (5090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

There's a local route that is called 'wiring the transatlantic'. The story behind it is that the FAist didn't have the money for hangers, so he placed the bolts and placed wires on lead.

Where I climb there is a route where to FA ran out of hangers so they put 2 links of chain on each of the bolts.

USnavy

Dec 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 59 (5088 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #9 of 59 (5088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Where I climb there is a route where to FA ran out of hangers so they put 2 links of chain on each of the bolts.

That sucks! Those NEED replacing.

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #10 of 59 (5079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
So if loose hangers and bolts are dangerous then would it be appropriate for the FA to over tighten the bolts to at least 100 In./ lbs. to ensure it wont come loose on repeated falls (especially in sandstone)? Or would that cause more harm then good? I remember reading a post on here saying that its generally best to tighten bolts to about 40 in./ lbs. Well that’s insanely low. You can get that much torque with a screwdriver. The bolts in my area are tightened to 60 in./ lbs with 1/2" expantion bolts and it only takes about 10 lead falls before we get a spinner in some cases.

I thought it was 35 lbs. Yeah, you'll compromise the integrity of the bolt placement if you overtighten. DON'T do 100 lbs. That's wayyyyy too much.

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #11 of 59 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
So if loose hangers and bolts are dangerous then would it be appropriate for the FA to over tighten the bolts to at least 100 In./ lbs. to ensure it wont come loose on repeated falls (especially in sandstone)? Or would that cause more harm then good? I remember reading a post on here saying that its generally best to tighten bolts to about 40 in./ lbs. Well that’s insanely low. You can get that much torque with a screwdriver. The bolts in my area are tightened to 60 in./ lbs with 1/2" expantion bolts and it only takes about 10 lead falls before we get a spinner in some cases.

Maybe use glue-ins?

clc

Dec 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #12 of 59 (5040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

25 ft.lbs. not inches its feet

imcd

Dec 22, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #13 of 59 (5014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe use a bit of epoxy to keep the nut in place, overtightening I think is worse than a loose hanger. also a lot of people will probably disagrea with this, but the majority of falls are working against the shear strength of the bolt, not the force generated by cinching the wedge or cone. a bolt that is under tourqued will still most probably hold where a bolt that is over tourqued could be suffering from metal fatigue or even be completly sheared. I'm not going to try it or imply that anyone else should, but I think a bolt in a good hole will hold most vertical or lower falls without even being tourqed at all.

curt

Dec 22, 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #14 of 59 (4951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought that spinners on 1/4" drive-in bolts was the norm. Cool

Curt

Lazlo

Dec 22, 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #15 of 59 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Curt

I reached a belay once while rope soloing. Single 1/4" button head with a home-made hanger. Next to it; an empty 1/4" hole. Time to shit the pants.

Maddhatter

Dec 22, 2008, 2:40 AM
Post #16 of 59 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

I reached a belay once while rope soloing. Single 1/4" button head with a home-made hanger. Next to it; an empty 1/4" hole. Time to shit the pants.

I've been way run out in The black hills and had one brake off while clipping it! Another time I was replaceing bolts in J-tree. I think it was "the falcon and the snow man" I taped the 1/4" button head one time and the head popped off! I really F'in hate 1/4" button heads!!!!!! Yes I replaced both.

1/4" button heads are the reason I started replaceing bolts in the first place.

Partner angry

Dec 22, 2008, 3:47 AM
Post #17 of 59 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

Where do all you idiots find the time to shit your pants? I understand the appeal, I just don't know how to pencil it into a busy day.

Hennessey

Dec 22, 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #18 of 59 (4866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are loose bolts dangerous?

Sounds pretty self explanitory to me

vegastradguy

Dec 22, 2008, 4:00 AM
Post #19 of 59 (4864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

interestingly, the asca has told me that a 3/8" 5-piece should be tightened to roughly 10-12 ft lbs, and that a bolt that can be tightened more isnt necessarily a bad one. greg told me that a properly tightened bolt is not even close to as tight as you could make it by hand. (i will put a disclaimer on this: i am not a bolt expert by any means, i only know what i have learned from replacement work with the ASCA in red rock- go to safeclimbing.org for more information)

as for whether a bolt is bad or not- absolutely no way to know. a spinning hanger may mean nothing, might mean everything. same with a nut. no way to tell without actually testing the bolt.

Lazlo

Dec 22, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #20 of 59 (4821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

Where do all you idiots find the time to shit your pants? I understand the appeal, I just don't know how to pencil it into a busy day.

Well, it's all a matter of priority and proper dieting. 1/4" spinners are a nice catalyist for the poopie pants. Also up there is tied off KBs and wiggly ice screws.

seatbeltpants

Dec 22, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #21 of 59 (4729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one of the few crags near me is a total chosspile, and a fair few of the bolts are hardware store jobs - galvanised construction bolts with a big washer underneath and then a few links of chain. this on a coastal crag. i've never actually seen a bolt fail or so much as move, but a lot of the anchors have half a dozen holes around them from where the previous bolts popped.

good for maintaining your "leader shall not fall" ethic...

steve

Maddhatter

Dec 22, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #22 of 59 (4699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Are loose bolts dangerous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also topped out a climb in Vedawoo the Bolts "looked" fine so I hooked in, stood up and one of the bolts pulled right out! It was a 1/2" by 4" SS bolt! AWESOME bolt but placed in a really badly drilled hole. I tried to put it back in and tighten it and it just kept turning until it popped right back out.
It never took hold and this is great rock mind you.
Even great rock and great bolts can suck if the wrong person drills the hole.

Yes, I redrilled and replaced the bolt. before I rapped off.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Dec 22, 2008, 8:22 PM)

dingus

Dec 22, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #23 of 59 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Opinion oriented response:

It depends (TM).

A loose nut on a stud bolt does almost nothing toward the integrity of the bolt itself. If loose enough the hanger becomes a lever though...

A loose nut on a sleeve bolt is not good, period. Even if the cup is securely wedged a loosened shaft has 'wiggle room' and when weighted will wiggle the cup too - eventually perhaps prying it loose.

A loose glue in bolt is bad fucking juju man!

If the shaft visibly wiggles in the hole - I don't care WHAT KIND of bolt it is... its dangerous.

Cheers
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Dec 22, 2008, 8:57 PM)

Tree_wrangler

Dec 22, 2008, 9:20 PM
Post #24 of 59 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

We're busy too, we just know how to manage our time better. Two tricks, multi-task (you can write a phone number while listening to someone talk, right) and relaxation.

You need to relax. For instance, I'm simultaneously typing you a response and just relaxing and......

oops.

jr12288

Dec 24, 2008, 5:03 AM
Post #25 of 59 (4509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While it is true that overtightening a bolt can cause metal fatigue there still needs to be more tension pulling the bolt into the face than there is weight hangin on it for it to hold.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook