Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mwlow

Aug 7, 2012, 7:24 AM
Post #1 of 27 (20709 views)
Shortcut

Mythos Shoe Sizing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys,

I want to purchase a pair of Mythos, but I have a question about the stretch and sizing. There's a lot of info/posts on the web about it and I've done a fair amount of research, but I'm still not sure what size to get.

I basically want my toes to be flat in these shoes. They're flat at size 41, slightly curled at 40-40.5, and noticeably curled at 39.5. My street size is US 9-9.5.

Some people told me they don't stretch that much, some told me they stretch 2 sizes, some told me they only stretch when sized tightly, some told me they don't stretch lengthwise...I know the stretch will vary slightly from person to person, but what's your recommendation?

Kartessa

Aug 7, 2012, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 27 (20660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mwlow] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mwlow wrote:
Hi guys,

I want to purchase a pair of Mythos, but I have a question about the stretch and sizing. There's a lot of info/posts on the web about it and I've done a fair amount of research, but I'm still not sure what size to get.

I basically want my toes to be flat in these shoes. They're flat at size 41, slightly curled at 40-40.5, and noticeably curled at 39.5. My street size is US 9-9.5.

Some people told me they don't stretch that much, some told me they stretch 2 sizes, some told me they only stretch when sized tightly, some told me they don't stretch lengthwise...I know the stretch will vary slightly from person to person, but what's your recommendation?

I've found that they feel and perform best if you go about 1.5 sizes down from your "nike" size. You will have some curl at first and given a little bit of time and climbing, you should end up with very nearly flat toes.

Sportivas in general stretch a lot, and these shoes, being a soft unlined leather are no exception. You will get a noticeable amount of stretch out of them.

csproul

Aug 7, 2012, 1:54 PM
Post #3 of 27 (20649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have owned Mythos spanning 2.5-3 sizes. The largest size allowed my toes to lie very flat. The smallest were as tight as I could have them without severely curling my toes. After the smallest ones have stretched, there is virtually no difference between the smallest and largest size. They stretch a lot. I can easily wear Mythos that are 1-1.5 sizes smaller than any other pair of LS shoes that I own (TC Pros, Miura, Miura VS).

My recommendation would be to size them slightly curled if you plan on using them primarily for slab climbing (about the only thing I think they are good for) or for all day comfort. Size them with toes noticeably curled if using them for more technical climbing (in which case you should just choose another shoe anyway). Really though, my experience is that they have stretched proportionally to their initial tightness and they have all ended up feeling about the same anyway.

jdensign5

Aug 9, 2012, 5:59 PM
Post #4 of 27 (20574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say get a half size smaller than your street shoe size. That is what I did and they stretched to fit perfectly.

Partner cracklover

Aug 9, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #5 of 27 (20551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
I have owned Mythos spanning 2.5-3 sizes. The largest size allowed my toes to lie very flat. The smallest were as tight as I could have them without severely curling my toes. After the smallest ones have stretched, there is virtually no difference between the smallest and largest size. They stretch a lot. I can easily wear Mythos that are 1-1.5 sizes smaller than any other pair of LS shoes that I own (TC Pros, Miura, Miura VS).

My recommendation would be to size them slightly curled if you plan on using them primarily for slab climbing (about the only thing I think they are good for) or for all day comfort. Size them with toes noticeably curled if using them for more technical climbing (in which case you should just choose another shoe anyway). Really though, my experience is that they have stretched proportionally to their initial tightness and they have all ended up feeling about the same anyway.

Just to give the OP another data point: I had heard that Mythos stretch like crazy, so I got a pair. I'll stop here and say that this was probably dumb of me, because I don't have La Sportiva shaped narrow feet, I have wide 5.10 hobbit feet. But... I bought into the hype.

I tried for a month... they never ever stopped feeling like they were crushing the bones in my feet into peanutbutter. Even though lengthwise (toe to heel) they were loose and sloppy.

Cheers,

GO

csproul

Aug 9, 2012, 8:38 PM
Post #6 of 27 (20548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I guess I should have specified that they stretched in length. I have narrow feet, so they never changed much width-wise.

acorneau

Aug 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #7 of 27 (20534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I tried for a month... they never ever stopped feeling like they were crushing the bones in my feet into peanutbutter. Even though lengthwise (toe to heel) they were loose and sloppy.

That's what the laces are for.

Unimpressed

wivanoff

Aug 10, 2012, 2:42 AM
Post #8 of 27 (20512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't find that they stretched so much lengthwise. Or maybe they jut stop stretching when they fit your feet. I have a very narrow foot and have considered woman's climbing shoes.

In any case, I currently use:
10.5 street shoe
43 (10) Mythos - comfy all day after breaking in
43.5 LaSportiva Mariacher - my faves.. need resoling
44 Boreal Ace (toes are tight - maybe they'll break in my feet)

I'd try Mythos at 1/2 to 1 size smaller than your street shoe

smallclimber

Aug 17, 2012, 1:20 PM
Post #9 of 27 (20356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on my third pair of the ladies version, and have gradually gone smaller with each pair. They definitely stretch quite a bit. I really like them as a comfy all day trad shoe.

jdensign5

Aug 17, 2012, 9:46 PM
Post #10 of 27 (20325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mythos are a good multi pitch all day shoe that excel in slab and crack climbing. Since they are not technical shoes, I see so reason to get a size that would curl, crunch or smash your foot in any way. If you have wide feet, they will stretch sideways as well, don't get more than a size smaller than your regular street shoe, get your street shoe size if you have wide feet, and downsize for more narrow feet, depending on how tight you want them, you def still dont want any dead space though. These shes are really comfortable and really great for mortons toe.

Partner cracklover

Aug 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #11 of 27 (20318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdensign5] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
If you have wide feet, they will stretch sideways as well

What are you basing that on? As I said, I do, and they didn't.

GO

redlude97

Aug 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #12 of 27 (20314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

GO
+1

jdensign5

Aug 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #13 of 27 (20267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

GO
+1
I am basing that on my experience, they were tight on the width when I got them and they have completly molded to my feet now. They stretch the most on the width, very quickly too.

redlude97

Aug 19, 2012, 3:09 PM
Post #14 of 27 (20251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdensign5] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

GO
+1
I am basing that on my experience, they were tight on the width when I got them and they have completly molded to my feet now. They stretch the most on the width, very quickly too.
how wide are your feet?, D? E? EE?

marc801

Aug 19, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #15 of 27 (20246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Yes, I guess I should have specified that they stretched in length. I have narrow feet, so they never changed much width-wise.
Please explain how they stretched in length, since the length is determined by a slab of rubber that does not stretch.

csproul

Aug 19, 2012, 5:33 PM
Post #16 of 27 (20233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:
Please explain how they stretched in length, since the length is determined by a slab of rubber that does not stretch.
Dunno, but if you really think that mythos don't stretch lengthwise, you have clearly never worn a pair. I can assure you that my mythos, sized 3 full sizes below most of my other shoes made my toes curl when they were new. Now, my toes are flat and they feel very similar to the same pair of shoes in a larger size, even with the laces tightened nearly all the way. I have a hard beleiving this could occur just from stretching widthwise. My experience is not unique. Perhaps you have another explanation?

marc801

Aug 19, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #17 of 27 (20229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:
Dunno, but if you really think that mythos don't stretch lengthwise, you have clearly never worn a pair. I can assure you that my mythos, sized 3 full sizes below most of my other shoes made my toes curl when they were new. Now, my toes are flat and they feel very similar to the same pair of shoes in a larger size, even with the laces tightened nearly all the way. I have a hard beleiving this could occur just from stretching widthwise. My experience is not unique. Perhaps you have another explanation?
I don't - that's why I was asking. I've tried on Mythos and despite having a Sportiva foot, found them far too painful. I've just never experienced a shoe that stretches significantly in the length.

csproul

Aug 19, 2012, 6:27 PM
Post #18 of 27 (20224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could be that the thin rubber on the upper, above the sole, can still stretch some while the rubber sole itself stays the same length. I'm not really sure. You're not really missing all that much. I kind of consider them the Jack of all trade shoe and the master of none. About the only thing I use them for is slab climbing. I have other shoes that I'll use for most any other type of climbing. And I'm sure if I looked for it, I could find a better slab climbing shoe too.

TradEddie

Aug 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #19 of 27 (20199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
My recommendation would be to size them slightly curled if you plan on using them primarily for slab climbing (about the only thing I think they are good for) or for all day comfort.

(Emphasis mine) Mythos are the most comfortable all-day shoe ever, isn't that enough reason to buy them? I wear street 9-9.5, and Mythos Size 40, and unless I'm climbing at my limit, would never consider wearing anything else. It's supposed to be fun after all, why suffer?

TE

jdensign5

Aug 20, 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #20 of 27 (20138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

GO
+1
how wide are your feet?, D? E? EE?

D/W

Pam_Silas

Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #21 of 27 (19206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will only get an idea once you go to the shop and check whether those size fits you or not or whether it`s stretchable. I will recommend you to go to the shoe shop and check it by yourself.

easy street shoe:"http://www.myfavoriteshoestore.com/cgi-bin/myshoes/cate_id/eas/item_browse.html"

(This post was edited by Pam_Silas on Nov 21, 2012, 9:46 AM)

bandycoot

Nov 5, 2012, 5:55 PM
Post #22 of 27 (19150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find it might take more than one iteration to find the perfect climbing shoe size in each make/model since there is a big difference between trying it on the store, and wearing it all day after you've owned/used them for a few months. At some point you have to commit, and they may or may not be perfect, but if they aren't the next purchase is more likely to be once you have your sizing down.

I saw someone mention that they don't climb at their limit in their Mythos. Well, for trad climbing, I put them on when I am climbing at my limit because they are such an amazing shoe at getting into narrow cracks. I also use them for climbing all day routes. The only time I don't wear them is when I'm climbing at my limit on thin face. Other than that, they are a great shoe for comfort and performance.

I <3 Mythos!

Josh

baldwinwb

Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #23 of 27 (18691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a size 11.5 in street shoes. I got my Mythos in a size 43 and they are extremely comfortable. The leather feels really good against my skin, much better than the synthetic stuff. I chose my size by trying on a size 45 and then going down a half size at a time until my foot felt a very small amount of bearable pain. I didn't have any trouble keeping them on my entire first work out at the gym ~2hrs. After just a couple of climbing sessions they were molded perfectly to my foot. I have narrow feet with long skinny toes.

Pam_Silas

Dec 12, 2012, 7:00 AM
Post #24 of 27 (18428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baldwinwb] Mythos Shoe Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do not you go to a shop and check for it,; specially your size, comfortability and stretchability of the shoe.

(This post was edited by Pam_Silas on Dec 12, 2012, 7:02 AM)

koolmoedee

Jan 6, 2013, 7:58 AM
Post #25 of 27 (18000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned 2 pairs. I'd suggest buying them so your toes are curled slightly if you want them flat when broken in.

Mythos stretch. A lot. They're unlined suede, which is the stretchiest material you can make climbing shoes with. That's what makes them comfy.

They're fantastic granite crack shoes with surprisingly decent edging. Have fun!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook