Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Jun 16, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #51 of 97 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

on the few images I got from PAS during fall test, it failed at FF 1.25 and as vegas was saying, the realistic FF is about 1.7-1.8 and not FF 2.0

acorneau

Jun 16, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #52 of 97 (9768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I snagged my GF's Blue Water Titan Loop Chain (same as PAS) and rigged it up.

The two hangers are 12" apart which would be about average out on the rock. The angle at the master point is about 70 degrees which is quite respectable. The length to the girth hitch is roughly 18".

While I don't own a PAS I wouldn't be worried about climbing up and finding the leader had rigged this for my climb.

Cool

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jun 16, 2010, 9:33 PM)
Attachments: TitanPAS.jpg (143 KB)

whipper

Jun 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #53 of 97 (9752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
on the few images I got from PAS during fall test, it failed at FF 1.25 and as vegas was saying, the realistic FF is about 1.7-1.8 and not FF 2.0
OK....Please tell me where that came from...the PAS fails at FF 1.25 That just doesnt make sense....a FF 1.25 for girl who weighs 90 pounds is a massively different force than a fat ass who weighs 225, you simply can not blatantly say that anything will fail at FFX
Jay, I did not say dont worry about them...I say avoid them! I will start a thread about just how to do that....

majid_sabet

Jun 16, 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #54 of 97 (9745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipper] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
OK....Please tell me where that came from...the PAS fails at FF 1.25 That just doesnt make sense....a FF 1.25 for girl who weighs 90 pounds is a massively different force than a fat ass who weighs 225, you simply can not blatantly say that anything will fail at FFX
Jay, I did not say dont worry about them...I say avoid them! I will start a thread about just how to do that....

I will post the photo as I have posted few times before. the test was 100kg and PAS broke at FF 1.25. also, 90 lbs is too low. most climbers are in the 130-170 lbs plus 1/8 pig on their harness so add another 20 lbs for a light rack. i would say, 150-200 lbs should be pretty close for an average climber on the wall .

patto

Jun 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #55 of 97 (9728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
whipper wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I will post the photo as I have posted few times before. the test was 100kg and PAS broke at FF 1.25. also, 90 lbs is too low. most climbers are in the 130-170 lbs plus 1/8 pig on their harness so add another 20 lbs for a light rack. i would say, 150-200 lbs should be pretty close for an average climber on the wall .

Two things.
1. Thats a static fall onto an anchor. Not a lead fall.
2. Those tests, while a start reminder not to take falls onto slings, are not even close to representative. You body has significantly more elasticity than a steel weight.

There is zero evidence that these slings will break under static falls with real human bodies. Until they get a gelatinous dummy into a drop tower then the tests don't come close.

Adan

Jun 17, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #56 of 97 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I admire Adan's approach to exploring options and playing with new approaches. Posting to a forum is a good way to get quality (and not) feedback.

thank you, but i am for sure reading this john long book, already ordered. I am always up for learning more :)

In reply to:
sigh* considering virtually all anchoring options out there contain a knot or two, including one at the master point, trying to avoid a knot is pointless. and yes, a knot weakens webbing, but not by 50%.

so? just because they all have a knot does not mean i could not try making one without knot which would be certainly much better, besides it is not much less than 50% !!!

In reply to:
its more because the PAS is girth hitched to you than because its part of the anchor. im too lazy to diagram it out for you, but if you fall onto your PAS @ anchor, it can fail, and if it is your anchor, you're really hosed.

I am talking about PAS for building an anchor. It is not girth hitched to anything. For my self belay i will have another sling or whatever attached girth hitched to my belay loop or use the rope. The PAS is loose and free to build the anchor.

In reply to:
So, 2 bolts? Double length sling, 2 limiter knots (overhand), clip master point in sliding X configuration, and clip the ends to the bolts. Solid placements (bolts), redundant, equalized, no extension (at least, limited extension.) Boom. Done, very simple. Don't fix what isn't broken. (Yes, there are other ways to do this, this is just a simple, standard one.)

what so bad about this method? well the german and austrian alpine clubs did tests with force measurements what happens if a bolt breaks. And the extension brings a much greater force input on the remaining bolt than "just a swing" from a not perfectly equalized system. Look at the pictures i posted. According to the force measuerements and fall tests, these are supposed to be the optimal setups for, "at least one good placement" and "two dodgy ones". I trust the science here, besides the setups are not just proofen to be good by the fall tests and measurements but also by the experiece of the people climbing the alps for a long long time!!!!The alpine clubs in europe are quite old....

In reply to:
All those telling the OP to read Long and Luebben and whatnot, have you ever taken a look at Schubert's or Semmel's work? The latter, more actual text on anchors is easily available on the net and should be comprehensive just from the many pictures. Just google "standplatz skript 2009 dav". Heck, I'll even give you a link: http://www.alpenverein.de/...913&mode=details

Please understand that this is scientific work, only from a different perspective and with a different cultural background. That doesn't make it any less valid.
(One could argue how much Europe is influenced by the greater use of bolts in a certain period of time and that trad climbing is certainly stronger in the US or UK but that's another can of worms)

that is exactly the point!
all i am trying to do is, taking these proofen setups (by experience and scientific research) and simulating them with the PAS to get rid of the knots!!!

Could anybody post me something to proof that sling material (rated 22 kn) will brake at factor 2 falls???? this is just not true!!! the falls in the video posted are not realistic at all. the factor 2 fall would occur on an anchor which is preloaded with your bodyweight and the rope will absorb some energy dynamically as well...absolutely not compareble to real world situations.

In reply to:
OP, at what point do you un-girth hitch your PAS to construct the anchor? Or do you intend to belay from above the masterpoint with your crotch 4 inches from the wall?

not doing that at all, as i said the PAS is not girth hitched to my harness.

In reply to:
The point is that people are bitching because the PAS failed under a factor two fall when used as a personal anchor without rope. They have somehow extrapolated that a PAS will therefore fail under any factor two fall with a dynamic rope when it is used as anchor material. Hopefully you understand why that is not true.

true, if you dont use a rope and fall 3 meters and fall staticlly into a sling, shock load, maybe something breaks...but first of all your back will break. In a hanging achor the slings are loaded and then the fall happens then the rope is dynamic and then the force goes on the anchor! different!!

In reply to:
finally, if you're that hell bent on avoiding using knots- theres this thing called a sliding X that would work just fine.

worst thing you can do!!!! if one bolt breaks the load on the remaining one would be much much greater than anything else. As well, scientificlly proofen!!!!!!!

In reply to:
The load is not shared at all between the bolts; it is entirely on the left bolt. If this bolt were to fail, the right bolt would be shock loaded. The PAS is made from Spectra, which has essentially no shock absorbing ability, so, unless there were some rope in the system, the force transmitted to the right bolt could be dangerously high.

Wrong! no shock load, just a swing. and this is the best setup if one bolt is solid! because accidents happened with hanging belays and a central point where the belayer gets pulled up and hit by something for instance. The "swing" if the "solid" bolt should come out is far far less than any extensiion which could happen in a fully equalized system with a sliding X!!! again, all tested and proofen!!!

In reply to:
As for your diagrams, I'm not sure where you got them, but the second one in the second attachment is showing a nearly perfect ADT- this is frowned on by most compitent climbers.

not true. as stated by the other posts. pictures are taken from the austrian alpine club. this is what we teach in austria. Official recomendation by german and austrian alpine club "how to build an anchor"!!!

In reply to:
so i assumed he is not trying to build the anchor AND have the PAS girth hitched to his harness at the same time... i thought he would use the PAS as a regular sling, and climb with it clipped to a biner and hanging from the harness as you would have any other sling...

fianlly. as stated in my very first post.

In reply to:
Maybe I'll start carrying it for building anchors, apparently I misjudged the OP and he meant to rack a PAS as a completely separate piece of gear. Which leads to the question, what then do you clip into the anchors with when you initially get there?

rope? another sling grith hitched and biner.. something eelse....

In reply to:
Adan, you are posting your examples straight from the DAV Lehrplan, or another DAV publication, so why dont you want to use it the way it is described there?
apart from the cultural differences between the USA and europe, the shown solutions work, are safe and easy to use.
If you want a prefabricated version, just buy a belay sling, as available from Edelrid, or Mammut or a lot of other manufacturers, that is made specifically for this textbook method (and still offers more multipurpose use than the PAS).
Shure, you could use a PAS, and be safe in most cases, but its additional comlications (and money spent) you dont need. And while it might not hurt you, it definitely will bring you no benefits, so why bother?

yes, i jsut wanted to get rid of the knots. and although mammut and edelrid and others come up with slings which have a loop sewn in you still have to make 2 glove hitches.....

In reply to:
The two hangers are 12" apart which would be about average out on the rock. The angle at the master point is about 70 degrees which is quite respectable. The length to the girth hitch is roughly 18".

that is roughly what i though of. maybe reducing the angle even more in using the other loops on the right side.....no knots, redundant, equalized, 22kn all the way trhough.

sorry for this massive answer, but i was not on the internet....

and thanks for all the comments. interesting topic!!

i would suggest people to look a bit closer and think a bit more before writing offensive things! thank you!

(This post was edited by Adan on Jun 17, 2010, 12:23 AM)

majid_sabet

Jun 17, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #57 of 97 (9712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
whipper wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Two things.
2. Those tests, while a start reminder not to take falls onto slings, are not even close to representative. You body has significantly more elasticity than a steel weight.

There is zero evidence that these slings will break under static falls with real human bodies. Until they get a gelatinous dummy into a drop tower then the tests don't come close.

well, we all know that human body observes some of the forces but those who experienced FF on daisy or any static anchor have clearly mentioned that they got messed up for falling on anchor. i remember one dude came to I&A after we were having the same discussions few years back about FF on daisy and he said he broke several ribs and got himself pretty messed up . is PAS safe for a leader fall with 80 feet of dynamic rope in use ? it should

is PAS safe while your buddy is jugging on a fix line but then his jumers zips and gives him a 10 feet fall ?

yaa , I forgot that last month el cap climber took 100 footer when his jumar came loose but luckily, his line was fixed with a knot at his harness

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 17, 2010, 12:27 AM)

Adan

Jun 17, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #58 of 97 (9707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
is PAS safe while your buddy is jugging on a fix line but then his jumers zips and gives him a 10 feet fall ?

different topic. you should not fall on static material, ever. Otherwise you break yourself and the slings.

Besides this is not PAS or not PAS. Tbis will happen with any kind of static webbing.

vegastradguy

Jun 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #59 of 97 (9704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adan] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you're trying to solve a problem here that doesnt exist- you're overthinking this in a big way. yes, knots weaken the material, but this doesnt mean that they compromise it from a safety perspective.

i didnt realize that you basically want to use your PAS as a cordlette- which just seems like an absurd use for it imho.

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/video.asp?id=5
here's your proof that spectra breaks a loads near FF2- there's more than this out there, but i dont have the links offhand.

i dont think that the PAS would necessarily fail in this application (now that i understand it correctly), but then again, as another poster metioned, you've got softgoods rubbing up against eachother now and spectra/dyneema has a much lower melting point than nylon....it just doesnt work for me in my head.

finally the PAS was not developed with this in mind, and i'm fairly sure the boys at Metolius would not recommend that the PAS be used as an anchoring system- its not rated to 22kn (its rated to 18kn, still fairly strong), and while i know metolius always over engineers its products, they still arent without weaknesses.

jt512

Jun 17, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #60 of 97 (9693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Adan wrote:

Could anybody post me something to proof that sling material (rated 22 kn) will brake at factor 2 falls????

I already gave you a link that "proofs" that; in fact, as the video shows, a Spectra sling can be broken with a factor-1 fall.

Jay

billcoe_

Jun 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #61 of 97 (9692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
With so many superior ways to build an anchor, not the least of which being with the climbing rope which requires no gear, why on earth would you dick around with a misapplication of an already questionable piece of gear?

Winner right here, end of discussion.

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #62 of 97 (9686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Yep. Static rope is far from static. But besides this presents high forces on all anchors. The PAS is not particularly worse than any other in this situation.

Adan

Jun 17, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #63 of 97 (9684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
here's your proof that spectra breaks a loads near FF2- there's more than this out there, but i dont have the links offhand.

but these falls have nothing to do with the reality. you always have a rope and you always have the slings loaded before the fall goes in it....

In reply to:
i dont think that the PAS would necessarily fail in this application (now that i understand it correctly), but then again, as another poster metioned, you've got softgoods rubbing up against eachother now and spectra/dyneema has a much lower melting point than nylon....it just doesnt work for me in my head.

fairenough, no idea how much rubgin would be a problem....

In reply to:
they still arent without weaknesses.

well this could happen with any climbing gear. or your rope. so... well.. you have to trust something.

In reply to:
I already gave you a link that "proofs" that; in fact, as the video shows, a Spectra sling can be broken with a factor-1 fall.

well yeah, but that has nothing to do with the reality.
I rather trust the scientific falls conducted by the german and austrian alpine club with realy humans, and real world setups.

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #64 of 97 (9676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan the simple answer is that a PAS to build an anchor is fine. There are no overwhealming problems. There are however ways that could be considered 'better'. But I would happily climb on a PAS anchor.

Adan wrote:
what so bad about this method? well the german and austrian alpine clubs did tests with force measurements what happens if a bolt breaks. And the extension brings a much greater force input on the remaining bolt than "just a swing" from a not perfectly equalized system. Look at the pictures i posted. According to the force measuerements and fall tests, these are supposed to be the optimal setups for, "at least one good placement" and "two dodgy ones". I trust the science here, besides the setups are not just proofen to be good by the fall tests and measurements but also by the experiece of the people climbing the alps for a long long time!!!!The alpine clubs in europe are quite old....
John long did tests too. His tests say the extension is fine. This forum believes that. John long is wrong. Extension is not fine when there is the belayer's weight in the system.

Adan wrote:
Could anybody post me something to proof that sling material (rated 22 kn) will brake at factor 2 falls???? this is just not true!!! the falls in the video posted are not realistic at all. the factor 2 fall would occur on an anchor which is preloaded with your bodyweight and the rope will absorb some energy dynamically as well...absolutely not compareble to real world situations.
You are correct.

Adan wrote:
The "swing" if the "solid" bolt should come out is far far less than any extensiion which could happen in a fully equalized system with a sliding X!!! again, all tested and proofen!!!
Correct.

Adan

Jun 17, 2010, 1:19 AM
Post #65 of 97 (9666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
John long did tests too. His tests say the extension is fine. This forum believes that. John long is wrong. Extension is not fine when there is the belayer's weight in the system.

well, i want to see the tests he did. I jsut wait till the book arrives.

All i know is that the tests by the austrian and german alpine club are conducted in a real world setting, means belayer is attached to the central point (sliding X) and then the load from the faller comes to it additionally, which will have an enourmous force on the remainning bolt. Any setup with just a "swing" would be much preferred!!!!

whipper

Jun 17, 2010, 2:37 AM
Post #66 of 97 (9631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
whipper wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Two things.

OK, I watched the videos, while good info, that does not even relate to real world climbing. Yes, if you fell just like that, your gonna get hurt, but that is way different from a climber being 15 feet above the anchor and falling 30 on the rope, it will be a bad fall, but it is simply not going to rip a PAS or and normal anchor.
What that video should do is make you people rethink your limiter knots in your sliding Xs

jt512

Jun 17, 2010, 2:45 AM
Post #67 of 97 (9627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
patto wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
whipper wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Two things.

OK, I watched the videos, while good info, that does not even relate to real world climbing. Yes, if you fell just like that, your gonna get hurt, but that is way different from a climber being 15 feet above the anchor and falling 30 on the rope, it will be a bad fall, but it is simply not going to rip a PAS or and normal anchor.
What that video should do is make you people rethink your limiter knots in your sliding Xs

Sure, if there is a rope in the system, but that's not the point. The point is that if you are tethered to the anchor by a Spectra sling, even a small amount of slack in the sling could be dangerous. Say you're attached to the anchor, and you decide you want to reset a piece in the anchor that you have to climb a couple feet up to reach. The video shows that a fall in this seemingly benign scenario can break your attachment to the anchor.

Jay

whipper

Jun 17, 2010, 2:51 AM
Post #68 of 97 (9623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

absolutely, I agree that it is a bad idea to risk that kind of fall, but the OP asked if it would work to build your anchor with one, not tether with one. While silly, it is not dangerous. I actually think it would be more redundant than a sliding X....but why reinvent the wheel,
Use 2 quick draws, or the rope

vegastradguy

Jun 17, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #69 of 97 (9600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
In reply to:

but these falls have nothing to do with the reality. you always have a rope and you always have the slings loaded before the fall goes in it....

you obviously have alot to learn if you dont think that these sort of dangers exist.

majid_sabet

Jun 17, 2010, 4:29 AM
Post #70 of 97 (9586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take my purcell or just a simple 8 mm cord over these fancy PAS on any days.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 17, 2010, 4:29 AM)

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 4:31 AM
Post #71 of 97 (9582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Sure, if there is a rope in the system, but that's not the point. The point is that if you are tethered to the anchor by a Spectra sling, even a small amount of slack in the sling could be dangerous. Say you're attached to the anchor, and you decide you want to reset a piece in the anchor that you have to climb a couple feet up to reach. The video shows that a fall in this seemingly benign scenario can break your attachment to the anchor.

Jay

How is this situation different from a sliding-x or any other spectra based anchor?

jt512

Jun 17, 2010, 5:12 AM
Post #72 of 97 (9561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

How is this situation different from a sliding-x or any other spectra based anchor?

I think a good argument can be made for avoiding Spectra in the anchor, but regardless, if you are attached to the anchor via a dynamic rope, then the rope reduces the impact force throughout the anchor, even if all the slings in the anchor are Spectra.

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 9:47 AM
Post #73 of 97 (9531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I think a good argument can be made for avoiding Spectra in the anchor, but regardless, if you are attached to the anchor via a dynamic rope, then the rope reduces the impact force throughout the anchor, even if all the slings in the anchor are Spectra.

Well I can agree with that. I normally build my anchors and attach myself using dynamic rope.

walkonyourhands

Jun 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #74 of 97 (9528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
pictures are taken from the austrian alpine club. this is what we teach in austria. Official recomendation by german and austrian alpine club "how to build an anchor"!!!

Adan wrote:
I rather trust the scientific falls conducted by the german and austrian alpine club with realy humans, and real world setups.

Now you're making the same mistake. There's no reason to think that the D/A/CH approach is superior to Long's concepts. Largo's work with sterling is not any less scientific than the tests you are talking about.

There are two different paradigms at work here and everyone's prone to think that the "other" approach is false. However, climbers are not dying like flies on either side of the pond so don't wet your pants about this too much.

What might be a reason why the D/A/CH clubs are favoring connecting bolts in series rather than equalizing them is the developing concept of the "Normbohrhaken", a manufacturing standard for bolts.

And for everyone who still doesn't get it: The talk about PAS not withstanding a factor whatever static drop is just noise here (Majid's pics as well). Two good bolts? Connect them in whatever fashion you want, and if it's a steel chain. (sketchy bolts aside here, cf: Normbohrhaken)

gmggg

Jun 17, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #75 of 97 (9507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
In reply to:
Maybe I'll start carrying it for building anchors, apparently I misjudged the OP and he meant to rack a PAS as a completely separate piece of gear. Which leads to the question, what then do you clip into the anchors with when you initially get there?

rope? another sling grith hitched and biner.. something eelse....

And why exactly wouldn't you use one of those options to construct a better quality anchor?

Or if you really want some silly pre-rigged gizmo you can buy an alpine equalizer, make a quad or equallete, or find some other gimmick to latch onto.

Why would you take a device that does an - arguably - good job as a personal tether re-purpose it into an - arguably - poor anchor and then carry an additional piece of gear to tether with?

Are you looking for weight savings? Security? What? What exactly is wrong with the systems that people have been using for decades? I am not against innovation, but I hardly see that happening here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook