Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #76 of 97 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

walkonyourhands wrote:
Now you're making the same mistake. There's no reason to think that the D/A/CH approach is superior to Long's concepts. Largo's work with sterling is not any less scientific than the tests you are talking about.

There is major flaws in John Long's testing. This has been pointed out numerous times in this thread and previously. His conclusions about shock loading not mattering are plainly false. This should be obvious through high school physics and has been shown in tests.

Nobody has died because FF2 falls are rare and anchor piece failures are also rare.

walkonyourhands

Jun 17, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #77 of 97 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

patto wrote:
walkonyourhands wrote:
Now you're making the same mistake. There's no reason to think that the D/A/CH approach is superior to Long's concepts. Largo's work with sterling is not any less scientific than the tests you are talking about.

There is major flaws in John Long's testing. This has been pointed out numerous times in this thread and previously. His conclusions about shock loading not mattering are plainly false. This should be obvious through high school physics and has been shown in tests.

Nobody has died because FF2 falls are rare and anchor piece failures are also rare.

Well, falsifiability is part of the game.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 17, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #78 of 97 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link.

r.c

qwert

Jun 17, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #79 of 97 (4131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adan] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
In reply to:
Adan, you are posting your examples straight from the DAV Lehrplan, or another DAV publication, so why dont you want to use it the way it is described there?
apart from the cultural differences between the USA and europe, the shown solutions work, are safe and easy to use.
If you want a prefabricated version, just buy a belay sling, as available from Edelrid, or Mammut or a lot of other manufacturers, that is made specifically for this textbook method (and still offers more multipurpose use than the PAS).
Shure, you could use a PAS, and be safe in most cases, but its additional comlications (and money spent) you dont need. And while it might not hurt you, it definitely will bring you no benefits, so why bother?

yes, i jsut wanted to get rid of the knots. and although mammut and edelrid and others come up with slings which have a loop sewn in you still have to make 2 glove hitches.....
But those two clove hitches are exactly what makes this anchors work!

The clove hitches are key to avoiding extension, and also they offer the ability to share the load on more points, if a situation arises where you have more points than just two, or another situation where you do not have a master point. With the belay sling i can easily construct a fairly complex (trad) anchor with all pieces in it without any slack, whereas the PAS will almost always introduce quite a bit of slack in the system (which you do want to avoid, due to the possibility of extension).

I take the clove hitches over a PAS any day.

qwert

sp00ki

Jun 17, 2010, 6:48 PM
Post #80 of 97 (4099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
I don't get it.

For years (at least 2) me and my friends have been using slings and biners. Two-foot slings, 4-foot slings with knots, sport draws, trad draws. We use these things for personal anchor, belay anchor, quick safety, and secure hanging around. Slings and biners work on sport, trad, and ice, and top-rope, for just one climber or for two or three even.

I've seen a few varieties of PAS or similar at the climbing store, and I don't get it. They don't do anything better or easier. In fact I think some of those gadgets are dangerous.

No offense, but not understanding how something works actually prohibits you from forming a qualified opinion on the subject, not the contrary.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jun 17, 2010, 6:49 PM)

Adan

Jun 17, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #81 of 97 (4061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Am I? To be honest I do not know what kind of testing Long did. All i know is that the testing the AU alpine club does are real world settings with realistic situations at the anchors. And it is 100% proofen that extension is much worth than a swing. That is just a fact. I can show you the numbers. Is there anything unclear in that? Have you even read any of these studies????

I am not talking about differences in the US or Europe, I am talking about what is proofen to be the better. And if you can show me any "more realistic" or more meaningful research which will proof that i am wrong, I am happy to change my mind. But just in denying that these tests are not good without even given a reason.....ah well....

In reply to:
And why exactly wouldn't you use one of those options to construct a better quality anchor?

Or if you really want some silly pre-rigged gizmo you can buy an alpine equalizer, make a quad or equallete, or find some other gimmick to latch onto.

Why would you take a device that does an - arguably - good job as a personal tether re-purpose it into an - arguably - poor anchor and then carry an additional piece of gear to tether with?

Are you looking for weight savings? Security? What? What exactly is wrong with the systems that people have been using for decades? I am not against innovation, but I hardly see that happening here.

I agree. And reading through all the answers I am the opinion that there probably is an easier, quicker and safer way to build anchors.
I am happy that people discussed the PAS possibility and gave me some ideas on it! Thank You!

In reply to:
The clove hitches are key to avoiding extension, and also they offer the ability to share the load on more points, if a situation arises where you have more points than just two, or another situation where you do not have a master point. With the belay sling i can easily construct a fairly complex (trad) anchor with all pieces in it without any slack, whereas the PAS will almost always introduce quite a bit of slack in the system (which you do want to avoid, due to the possibility of extension).

I know. That is why you have to!! make knots in the sling...which is not so good...again, was just looking for a better option for sport multipitch routes....

Thanks again folks! And keep discussing...very interesting :)

patto

Jun 18, 2010, 1:05 AM
Post #82 of 97 (4043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
Am I? To be honest I do not know what kind of testing Long did.

He tested extension during fall with a dynamic rope between the falling mass and the anchor. As expected there was little shock effect of the extension because there was negligible mass at the belay.

If he had tested with a belayers mass as part of the belay he would have had entirely different results.

Adan

Jun 18, 2010, 1:18 AM
Post #83 of 97 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Adan wrote:

He tested extension during fall with a dynamic rope between the falling mass and the anchor. As expected there was little shock effect of the extension because there was negligible mass at the belay.

If he had tested with a belayers mass as part of the belay he would have had entirely different results.

Ok that explains his results then. I posted this link in another thread, but just to give you guys an idea of the setup the german alpine club used to determine the 40% higher force on the remaining bolt. In my opinion much more realistic and therefor significant than the long tests explained by patto.

http://www.alpenverein-offenburg.de/...und_stand%5B1%5D.pdf

It is in german but feel free to ask me if you have any questions. At least the pictures and diagrams should give you an idea of what they did.

Cheers,

Adan

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 1:22 AM
Post #84 of 97 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Adan wrote:

Is there data on that somewhere?

Jay

dan2see

Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 AM
Post #85 of 97 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
dan2see wrote:
I don't get it.

For years (at least 2) me and my friends have been using slings and biners. Two-foot slings, 4-foot slings with knots, sport draws, trad draws. We use these things for personal anchor, belay anchor, quick safety, and secure hanging around. Slings and biners work on sport, trad, and ice, and top-rope, for just one climber or for two or three even.

I've seen a few varieties of PAS or similar at the climbing store, and I don't get it. They don't do anything better or easier. In fact I think some of those gadgets are dangerous.

No offense, but not understanding how something works actually prohibits you from forming a qualified opinion on the subject, not the contrary.

No offense, huh? Huh! Tongue

Hey Spooky, I know how those gadgets work. What I don't get is why anybody would choose to use them, when simpler, more traditional gear is such a great option.

patto

Jun 18, 2010, 1:48 AM
Post #86 of 97 (4017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] BUILD anchor with PAS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay

You know that the forces are high when a mass(belayer) falls onto a static anchor. You know that extension with a belayer in the system can be like a fall of the belayer onto a static anchor. Furthermore the belayer is being accelerated greater than gravity by the partners fall. So the shock load could be greater.

Data?
Here is some other testing on extension. Their methodology is as equally incorrect as JLong. In reality the system is a mix of mass at the anchor and a mass sepparated by a spring (rope). JLong didn't include the mass at the anchor. These guys didn't include the mass on the spring.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread
http://www.shariconglobal.com/...g_Anchor_Systems.pdf

Of course if you use your climbing rope to build the anchor then we can forget about all this concern about shock loading.

(This post was edited by patto on Jun 18, 2010, 1:53 AM)

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 2:05 AM
Post #87 of 97 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay

You know that the forces are high when a mass(belayer) falls onto a static anchor. You know that extension with a belayer in the system can be like a fall of the belayer onto a static anchor. Furthermore the belayer is being accelerated greater than gravity by the partners fall. So the shock load could be greater.

Data?
Here is some other testing on extension. Their methodology is as equally incorrect as JLong. In reality the system is a mix of mass at the anchor and a mass sepparated by a spring (rope). JLong didn't include the mass at the anchor. These guys didn't include the mass on the spring.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread
http://www.shariconglobal.com/...g_Anchor_Systems.pdf

Of course if you use your climbing rope to build the anchor then we can forget about all this concern about shock loading.

I'll take a look at those links. Maybe they cover this, but how serious is shock-loading when the anchor is constructed from static materials but the belayer is tied-in with a dynamic rope?

Jay

Adan

Jun 18, 2010, 2:12 AM
Post #88 of 97 (3997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
Adan wrote:

Jay

did you have a look at the link i posted?

They used exactly the setup with a belayer mass and a faller mass.
please look at the attached image of the setup.

Any comments on the setup?
Attachments: Bildschirmfoto 2010-06-18 um 12.09.28.jpg (24.3 KB)

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 2:16 AM
Post #89 of 97 (3994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
Adan wrote:

Jay

did you have a look at the link i posted?

Look? Yes. Understand? No. I don't read German.

Jay

patto

Jun 18, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #90 of 97 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I'll take a look at those links. Maybe they cover this, but how serious is shock-loading when the anchor is constructed from static materials but the belayer is tied-in with a dynamic rope?

Jay

Not serious at all really.

Of course it depends on the ratio of extension to the length of dynamic rope tie in but it all quickly becomes alot less of a concern once dynamic rope is in play.

Adan

Jun 18, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #91 of 97 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Look? Yes. Understand? No. I don't read German.

fairenough. but at least you can understand the setup of the test or?

Sollbruchstelle: where it will break
Fixpunkte mit kraftsensor: bolt with force measurement unit
ZP: masterpoint.

Realistic setup which proofes at least if the anchor is build with webbing (static) that the swing puts 40% less on remaining bolt than the extension.
It is logical, really. because it brings another free fall of belayer weight + faller weight on the remaining bolt.

I think it will make some difference if you use rope to anchor yourself or/and build the anchor. But the rope involed will probably be quite short and therefor will not have a lot dampening abilitly. It hink there still will be a big load on the remaining bolt.

walkonyourhands

Jun 18, 2010, 9:49 AM
Post #92 of 97 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adan wrote:
In reply to:

Am I? To be honest I do not know what kind of testing Long did. All i know is that the testing the AU alpine club does are real world settings with realistic situations at the anchors. And it is 100% proofen that extension is much worth than a swing. That is just a fact. I can show you the numbers. Is there anything unclear in that? Have you even read any of these studies????

I am not talking about differences in the US or Europe, I am talking about what is proofen to be the better. And if you can show me any "more realistic" or more meaningful research which will proof that i am wrong, I am happy to change my mind. But just in denying that these tests are not good without even given a reason.....ah well....

Ey, if you value this discussion, why are you getting defensive? I'm Austrian myself and I know the local approach and the latest studies pretty damn well. And alternative testing, the specific Austrian conclusions for alpine anchors, and so on. As I wrote earlier, I've tried to get the best out of the US and D/A/CH approaches in such discussions, but now I think that there are fundamental differences in culture and practice that make this very hard to do. That's why I used the word paradigm. You can look that up in combination with the name Thomas Kuhn to get a better idea why I think this is accurate.

Btw, many things have been "100% prooven" and "fact" on both sides of the argument. Maybe a little less cultural arrogance on your part if you want to get something out of this discussion? Or do you really want to evangelize every climber out there and do you really want to do this via rc.com? Crazy

qwert

Jun 19, 2010, 9:02 AM
Post #93 of 97 (3899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just stumbled upon this:

so if you need a premade knotless gizmo for your belay, the "verstellbare standplatzschlinge" by edelrid might just be what you want.
However i am not shure how that will work with more than just two points.

qwert

norushnomore

Jun 19, 2010, 9:57 AM
Post #94 of 97 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP,

I prefer to click PAS into one bolt (keeping it attached to my harness ;) ) and clove main rope into the other if I am switching leads.

I am very worried about PAS breaking on FF2 thus this particular setup to negate the possibility.

If not switching leads then I simply clip a quickdraw
thru a PAS loop and a second bolt.
Lately I started using a screamer instead of the quickdraw because of FF2 concerns documented here on RC.com

Now, this system has no master point, a very key concept from all Anchor Books so you should be afraid of using it unless of course you have other goals in mind besides spending your time building ultimate anchors ;)

Adan

Jun 21, 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #95 of 97 (3830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ey, if you value this discussion, why are you getting defensive? I'm Austrian myself and I know the local approach and the latest studies pretty damn well. And alternative testing, the specific Austrian conclusions for alpine anchors, and so on. As I wrote earlier, I've tried to get the best out of the US and D/A/CH approaches in such discussions, but now I think that there are fundamental differences in culture and practice that make this very hard to do. That's why I used the word paradigm. You can look that up in combination with the name Thomas Kuhn to get a better idea why I think this is accurate.

Btw, many things have been "100% prooven" and "fact" on both sides of the argument. Maybe a little less cultural arrogance on your part if you want to get something out of this discussion? Or do you really want to evangelize every climber out there and do you really want to do this via rc.com? Crazy

I am not getting defensive. And I would love to learn something new and better than the things i know, but apparently there was no post after my last one...sadly. I am dont think i have any cultural arrogance but I would certainly like to be "convinced" if people think other systems are better and not just because they do it different for a long time and ignoring whatever we do/test in europe.

I am always happy to change my mind if the arguments are good.

patto

Jun 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #96 of 97 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think Adan displays excessive defensiveness or cultural arogance.

There is a paradugm clash here and there is a clear conflict on this issue of extension. This isn't going to be solved by further debate in this thread.

The PAS is fine for an anchor it does the job. I don't think a PAS is an ideal anchoring solution. However I don't see how it is worse that the common US method of a sliding-x.

walkonyourhands

Jun 21, 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #97 of 97 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I don't think Adan displays excessive defensiveness or cultural arogance.

True, I over-exaggerated a little. But he still doesn't get that this is no right or wrong thing. And he seems to think that ordering (!) JL's book makes him any better than the US guys not knowing about German concepts.

patto wrote:
There is a paradugm clash here and there is a clear conflict on this issue of extension. This isn't going to be solved by further debate in this thread.

The PAS is fine for an anchor it does the job. I don't think a PAS is an ideal anchoring solution. However I don't see how it is worse that the common US method of a sliding-x.

That's what I was trying to explain, thanks.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook