Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner alexmac

Dec 12, 2006, 4:29 AM
Post #26 of 60 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notch wrote:
Call BD and get the rep fired? That's the stupidest post I've yet read on this site, and that's saying something! I personally know 2 BD sales reps, and not only do they know their product, their input helps to design product In fact, one of them put up some of the hardest and daring trad routes on the east coast. They know a hell of a lot more than just what's on the spec sheet. If one of them says that the keeper loop wire is hella strong, then guess what? They're probably correct! That's a far cry from the rep advising climbers to buy 6 and use them for pro.

I bet your still waiting for the US army to find WMD in iraq too.

p0bray01

Dec 12, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #27 of 60 (3224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"So - is the Grigri or the Reverso better for wide cracks? "

Grigri hands down...like a small big bro. CrazyWink

jimdavis

Dec 12, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #28 of 60 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [playouts1de] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The 24kn has nothing to do with the cable that's pressed on there.

That's probably bd rigging it with some static rope, tied off, and pull testing it to see if the sides would collapse under the crushing force between the rope and the biner.

As for the strength of the wire keeper loop.....a large dog could probably snap that thing if they had a running start.

I've personally seen 3 wire keeper loops pulled out of belay devices.

Even if the body of the device is strong, I'd be down-climbing and back-cleaning long before you see me slinging a belay device.

Jim

bill413

Dec 12, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #29 of 60 (3206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
and as far as grigri's vs. reverso... i think the grigri would offer better semi-wide options, but who climbs trad with one of them?
Oh - very good point. If it's not on my rack, it really isn't going to help me much.

tradmanclimbs

Dec 12, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #30 of 60 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually it is an interesting concept. Alexmac, maby when you have been in this game a bit longer you might appreciate the idea. I have used biners as stoppers before. $hit happens ocasionaly like the time my buddy headded up Three Rings for the elven Kings thinking it was a clip up only to find himself totaly commited to 5.9+ X climbing that required gear he didn't have. There are times when you can't down climb, you can't lower off and the only way out alive is up. i try to NEVER have any biners on my harness that you couldn't use for climbing. That means that your chalk bag, nut tool, water bottle etc are clipped with real biners NOT those little fake things. Even sling the water bottle with a real runner so it can be used in an emergancy. I have ended up useing my nut tool biner hundreds of times to either clip gear or as part of the belay. I never thought of useing my spare belay device as a stopper but it would be a heck of a lot better than nothing or a knotted runner . Run out 20ft, out of small hands gear, 10ft to the belay but a hard move to get there, sling it, jam it in there and go Cool

joshy8200

Dec 12, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #31 of 60 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but in the older North Carolina guidebook by Thomas Kelley it mentions a climber wedging his Figure-8 into a water groove to hang from and drill a bolt. It was either at Big Green or Stone...I think Big Green.

Partner jammer

Dec 12, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #32 of 60 (3188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with you there! What ever it takes to get my partner and I home safely!!!

Partner alexmac

Dec 12, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #33 of 60 (3178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Actually it is an interesting concept. Alexmac, maby when you have been in this game a bit longer you might appreciate the idea. I have used biners as stoppers before. $hit happens ocasionaly like the time my buddy headded up Three Rings for the elven Kings thinking it was a clip up only to find himself totaly commited to 5.9+ X climbing that required gear he didn't have. There are times when you can't down climb, you can't lower off and the only way out alive is up. i try to NEVER have any biners on my harness that you couldn't use for climbing. That means that your chalk bag, nut tool, water bottle etc are clipped with real biners NOT those little fake things. Even sling the water bottle with a real runner so it can be used in an emergancy. I have ended up useing my nut tool biner hundreds of times to either clip gear or as part of the belay. I never thought of useing my spare belay device as a stopper but it would be a heck of a lot better than nothing or a knotted runner . Run out 20ft, out of small hands gear, 10ft to the belay but a hard move to get there, sling it, jam it in there and go Cool

We are not talking biners , we are talking those tiny little leashes on the black diamond ATC, you want to take a 20 footer on that lease , go right ahead.

Question , fall on those placements ? Curious is all.

franko

Dec 12, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #34 of 60 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cam] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cam wrote:
My experience with Rep's is that they'll tell you pretty much anything that sounds good. I'm not calling them liars, I'm just saying the're salespeople first and foremost.

OK I'll do it for you. They're liars.

notch

Dec 12, 2006, 5:50 PM
Post #35 of 60 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
notch wrote:
Call BD and get the rep fired? That's the stupidest post I've yet read on this site, and that's saying something! I personally know 2 BD sales reps, and not only do they know their product, their input helps to design product In fact, one of them put up some of the hardest and daring trad routes on the east coast. They know a hell of a lot more than just what's on the spec sheet. If one of them says that the keeper loop wire is hella strong, then guess what? They're probably correct! That's a far cry from the rep advising climbers to buy 6 and use them for pro.

OK, have it your way. Just for the record, which one of the reps are you calling a liar? You must know at least one to be making that judgement.

Partner alexmac

Dec 12, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #36 of 60 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notch wrote:
alexmac wrote:
notch wrote:

OK, have it your way. Just for the record, which one of the reps are you calling a liar? You must know at least one to be making that judgement.

Sorry, a stupid rep is a stupid rep, I don't have to know them and their kids names.

Saying the loop on a BD atc can be used to clip too while you place the ATC as pro is just dumb and anyone who belives it is as well and I'd never climb with someone with such impaired judgement.

(This post was edited by alexmac on Dec 12, 2006, 5:53 PM)

dbrayack

Dec 12, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #37 of 60 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdavis] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jimdavis wrote:
and I thought placing passive camalots was stupid....

You know, I actually did that once...just because I could. It was a route where the back of the crack was big enough for a #3 BD to sit, but the front tapered to a thin crack (imagine two flakes together, the whole crack was like that). And there was a pefect pod for the BD to sit on.

I yelled to my belayer (YOUR GOING TO LOVE THIS GEAR PLACEMENT!

I have to admit, the thought of using an ATC as pro scares me (yah seriously!)

(This post was edited by dbrayack on Dec 12, 2006, 6:12 PM)

Partner cracklover

Dec 12, 2006, 8:15 PM
Post #38 of 60 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
You know, I actually did that once...just because I could. It was a route where the back of the crack was big enough for a #3 BD to sit, but the front tapered to a thin crack (imagine two flakes together, the whole crack was like that). And there was a pefect pod for the BD to sit on.

Needs more cowbell.

GO

dbrayack

Dec 12, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #39 of 60 (3120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ahhh yess, the covetted "AS BIG AS IT GETS" hex....it woulda been perfect.

secretninja

Dec 12, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #40 of 60 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is ridiculous. No one in their right mind would EVER use an ATC as a piece of pro. The flimsy wire loop is clearly as fuctional as those trek bottle biners people use to clip shit on backpacks; that is, to keep it hand, NOT to fall on. im sure i could drill a hole through the bottom on my themos bottle and use it as a hex BUT WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WOULD YOU WANT TO?????

tradmanclimbs

Dec 12, 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #41 of 60 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Note I said "sling it and go" NO I would not trust the wire loop but rigged with a sling or even one of my 6mm auto block cords it may make a passable piece. Coolest placement I ever saw was a 1/4 keg jamed in a chimny on Moby Grape. I Stuffed a #2 Camalot in the handle hole. wish I had a camera that time it would have been priceless.

jeremy11

Dec 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #42 of 60 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
ahhh yess, the covetted "AS BIG AS IT GETS" hex....it woulda been perfect.
EXACTLYCool
plus, the big hexes can be used as belay/rap (one or two strand) devices. I've tried it for about 10 feet on a doubled rope. the only considerations are the rougher edge and maybe melting the sling (I used a #8 WC rockcentric slung with dyneema webbing).
(was that a NRG route? which one?)
I would use an atc as a nut slung on the middle bar, but the probability of actually needing it bad AND having a good spot is very low.

(This post was edited by jeremy11 on Dec 13, 2006, 2:07 AM)

joshy8200

Dec 13, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #43 of 60 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeremy11 wrote:
I would use an atc as a nut slung on the middle bar, but the probability of actually needing it bad AND having a good spot is very low.

If you needed it bad enough would you use one of your testicles as a nut to hang on??!! :-)

Just kidding with you man. I would jam whatever I had in a crack that I thought would hold if I had to. That's all crack protection comes down to anyway. Folks that dismiss using random objects as pro need not be so closed minded. Basically all climbing gear has evolved from random objects and techniques. It's not so far fetched to think of alternative means of protection...when we're just talking hypothetical could it maybe work.

joshy8200

Dec 13, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #44 of 60 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh...and I'm not saying that the 'keeper loop' on a belay device would be able to hold a fall. But I think a slung wedged belay device would work in a pinch pretty well.

dbrayack

Dec 13, 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #45 of 60 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marionette....up in the puppy dog section

jimdavis

Dec 13, 2006, 4:48 AM
Post #46 of 60 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Note I said "sling it and go" NO I would not trust the wire loop but rigged with a sling or even one of my 6mm auto block cords it may make a passable piece. Coolest placement I ever saw was a 1/4 keg jamed in a chimny on Moby Grape. I Stuffed a #2 Camalot in the handle hole. wish I had a camera that time it would have been priceless.

hahaha, I remember hearing about that actually...my buddies got down and where like "who the F* brought that keg up there!?!"

Jim

mtnfr34k

Dec 13, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #47 of 60 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
i guess it is all in how we read thiings, I am sure there is some person out there who will say, "hey watch this" and use it as pro, why , they read it here.

I can see in no spot where you would use your atc as a piece of passive pro, why not just take your pants off and use it as a sling too.

If a BD rep did suggest this (ATC as passive pro), it may have been a joke (I hope).

Actually, Alex, I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. The OP said, to the effect of, "I think I remember a sales rep saying an ATC could take a significant amount of force, measured in kilonewtons." Nowhere in his recollection did I hear the sales rep say that the ATC could be used for pro, should be used for pro, or would be used for pro. In fact, the OP found evidence to back up the orignal assertion, that "an ATC could take a significant amount of force." Accusing the sales rep of negligence and misrepresentation of BD is simply wrong, and you've had plenty of time to retract your statements. Here's another moment. Take it.

This is not the Beginner forum, and I expect readers of this thread to use their judgement. This means they should weigh the pros and cons of this arguement and make their own decision. Anyone whose only justification for their actions is "I read about it once on this onlive discussion forum," is stupid and deserves to be slapped down by whatever god or karma you believe in.

(This post was edited by mtnfr34k on Dec 13, 2006, 8:02 AM)

playouts1de

Dec 14, 2006, 9:17 AM
Post #48 of 60 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K Guys. Got a reply from Scott B at BD. It was as follows:

Email #1:

Thank you for writing in. Our ATC is tested according to the forces it
would encounter when used for its' intended use. The directionality is very
important just like testing carabiners along their major axis along the
spine. I would highly discourage using the ATC upside down or in any other
configuration other than as it is shown in the "Instructions for Use"
pamphlet that comes with the ATC.

Email #2:

While we can't recommend that the ATC be used, even in an emergency
situation as a nut, the tests for the rating are performed on the outward
edges of the device. This is of course where force is applied in a
belay/rappel scenario.

In the second email I asked about the strength rating and how it was derived AND I gave him the purpose I was asking about weird strength stats.

So there it is, take it or leave it. Its been an interesting discussion to say the least. Thanks for contributing.

Partner alexmac

Dec 14, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #49 of 60 (2959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnfr34k] ATC as pro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mtnfr34k wrote:
alexmac wrote:
i guess it is all in how we read thiings, I am sure there is some person out there who will say, "hey watch this" and use it as pro, why , they read it here.

I can see in no spot where you would use your atc as a piece of passive pro, why not just take your pants off and use it as a sling too.

If a BD rep did suggest this (ATC as passive pro), it may have been a joke (I hope).

Actually, Alex, I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. The OP said, to the effect of, "I think I remember a sales rep saying an ATC could take a significant amount of force, measured in kilonewtons." Nowhere in his recollection did I hear the sales rep say that the ATC could be used for pro, should be used for pro, or would be used for pro. In fact, the OP found evidence to back up the orignal assertion, that "an ATC could take a significant amount of force." Accusing the sales rep of negligence and misrepresentation of BD is simply wrong, and you've had plenty of time to retract your statements. Here's another moment. Take it.

This is not the Beginner forum, and I expect readers of this thread to use their judgement. This means they should weigh the pros and cons of this arguement and make their own decision. Anyone whose only justification for their actions is "I read about it once on this onlive discussion forum," is stupid and deserves to be slapped down by whatever god or karma you believe in.

Sorry dude, but your an ass, I object to anyone even joking that it can be used as pro, and I took the orginal posters word that he had heard from a BD rep.

If someone wants to be a "hero" and sling their BD or their grandmothers bra as pro, then go right ahead; I dare them to fall on it. (some religons suicide is a sin thus off to hell for them).

You get what you get when your intentionaly stupid. In the many years on and off that I have climbed, I have seen many many smart climbers , the dumb ones are just dead sooner or later.

(This post was edited by alexmac on Dec 14, 2006, 5:01 PM)

Partner alexmac

Dec 14, 2006, 5:02 PM
Post #50 of 60 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

playouts1de wrote:
K Guys. Got a reply from Scott B at BD. It was as follows:

Email #1:

Thank you for writing in. Our ATC is tested according to the forces it
would encounter when used for its' intended use. The directionality is very
important just like testing carabiners along their major axis along the
spine. I would highly discourage using the ATC upside down or in any other
configuration other than as it is shown in the "Instructions for Use"
pamphlet that comes with the ATC.

Email #2:

While we can't recommend that the ATC be used, even in an emergency
situation as a nut, the tests for the rating are performed on the outward
edges of the device. This is of course where force is applied in a
belay/rappel scenario.

In the second email I asked about the strength rating and how it was derived AND I gave him the purpose I was asking about weird strength stats.

So there it is, take it or leave it. Its been an interesting discussion to say the least. Thanks for contributing.

Thanks for the info :)

Yes, its been a fun chat

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook