Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

stellanole

Mar 25, 2004, 9:01 PM
Post #26 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Re: GRI-GRI and BELAY WARNING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

***I have witnessed lead belaying with GriGri that was dodgy. Belayer keeps 4th and 3rd fingers on right hand lightly gripped on arm of GriGri to allow quick rope feed; climber falls totally unexpectedly; before belayer releases fingers from arm of GriGri lead climber falls 10-feet to 20-feet excessively. ***

:shock: this happened to me....me being the belayer. have nice scars to show for it after watching my skin burn off my hand as i clutched for dear life on that rope while he came down to my side. probably a good 20+ feet. we were having a practice session on 'what not to do'. i did it. luckily in the gym...and luckily my partner still loves me.

wont ever make that mistake again. i was afraid to belay on lead for awhile but got over it...kinda like taking a first fall on lead...scary...part of the learning process...but even so, i learned on a grigri and prefer it over the atc.

mikes4k1

Mar 25, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #27 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I don't think a warning is any more necessary than any other device that can be misused - even one almost fool-proof like a Gri-Gri. I've been dropped twice by people using Gri-Gri's in the gym. I've never been dropped outside. And, I've never been dropped by anyone using old-school devices (sticht plates, hip belays, tubers, biner-brakes, and munter hitches).

I can only guess what happened, because they didn't seem to know how or why they dropped me. I guess only because they *thought* the Gri-Gri was foolproof and weren't paying attention while lowering.

I didn't get hurt, but still didn't like getting dropped over six feet to the deck.

I don't climb with her anymore.

Mike

overlord

Mar 26, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #28 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grigri i really safe IF you know how to belay properly, know its bad sides and know how to use it.

jt512

Mar 26, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #29 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While I don't think a warning is any more necessary than any other device that can be misused - even one almost fool-proof like a Gri-Gri. I've been dropped twice by people using Gri-Gri's in the gym. I've never been dropped outside. And, I've never been dropped by anyone using old-school devices (sticht plates, hip belays, tubers, biner-brakes, and munter hitches).

I can only guess what happened, because they didn't seem to know how or why they dropped me. I guess only because they *thought* the Gri-Gri was foolproof and weren't paying attention while lowering.

Exactly. They thought it was foolproof. Note that the wording you used in your first paragraph suggests that despite your having been dropped twice with a grigri and never using a conventional device you still state that the grigri is "almost foolproof." Safe operation of a grigri is in fact more complex than safe operation of an ATC.

-Jay

jimdavis

Mar 27, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #30 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a lot of the problem with these devices lies in the marketing of them and their forced used in many climbing gyms.

Many of the climbing gyms I know of MAKE you use a gri-gri. They leave it on the rope, and make you use it. Because Gym's are where a lot of new climbers get exposed to the sport they think that Gri-Gri's are the only way to go. People learn complacent belaying, because the Staff at the gyms is not as vigillant BECAUSE they're on Gri-Gri's and they think they can get away with it.

Just the other week, I heard that the staff at a local climbing gym hurridly taught some people to belay at a b-day party. A girl went up 40', went to lower, belayer pulled back to far and lost control of the lower, tensed up and held it...girl took a 40 footer.

Gri-Gri's should be a tool for the experienced in my opinion. Taking students out on courses, bringing them up as seconds, setting up haul systems, jugging, ect, are all execellent uses for a Gri-Gri. It just takes a respect and certain amount of skill to use one safely, the same as any climbing technique.

I laugh just thinking about how a guy a know who's done Astroman, Salathe, The Nose, and put up half of the first ascents in Clifton Maine, still has trouble setting up a Gri-Gri correctly.

I think climbing gyms need to start changing their pollicies, and do a better job educating people. Retail stores need to stop trying to sell gri-gri's just cause they make more profit off a gri-gri than a ATC. And people need to learn a respect for being on a rope.

piton

Apr 2, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #31 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Gri-gris are completely foolproof. Several studies have shown that it's impossible to be injured when your partner owns - or even thinks about buying - a Gri-Gri. I trust anybody with a Gri-Gri to belay, even one-armed infants. I attached one to my steering wheel just the other day - and now I don't even have to drive. The Gri-Gri reads my mind and takes me where I want to go! It even picks the routes with the fewest traffic lights. Three cheers for the Gri-Gri! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray!

I would even trust a Gri-Gri in bed with my wife. Speaking of which, someone once told me that the Gri-Gri is effective birth control. Not sure if this is true. Seems dodgy.

smart one from jung. let my gf belay you on gri gri and see how full proof it is :roll:

climbsomething

Apr 2, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #32 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have noticed in a several threads(most notably in a current one - Will you let anyone belay you...) a "big" faith in a gri-gri devise ....
I just like to point out a fact that a number of studies have been done
which showed that the biggest number of belay-ing accidents involved
the use of gri-gri ...
sigh.

So many morons, so little time.

reedcrr

Apr 2, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #33 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A Petzel Gri-Gri fool proof? Wow what a statement!

Real quick story on this from my point of view...Four years ago...the Red...climbing Fuzzy Undercling for the first time...got to the fourth bolt and pulled up slack to clip...came off the wall due to loss of my grip... 40+ feet later I am nursing my busted up ankles unable to walk and looking at my belayer who had this oh crap look on his face. I was lucky because of the layout of the dirt at the base of this climb, it was soft and powder with no rocks.

This happened with a belayer who I climbed with for several years and who had caught me on thousands of falls both with an ATC and his Gri-Gri. After the fall I looked in to what could of happened and thats when we noticed a lot of dust from the ground had lined the camming device and had acted as lube for the rope and caused the device to "stick" open. I looked at my belayers lock-off hand and it was a bloody mess burned to a crisp from him trying to grab an secure the rope and lock it off.

The analysis of what happened was this...when I pulled up for slack to clip he opened the camming device to give more rope. When I fell he locked off, or so he thought but the sudden jeck of the wieght of my body just yanked the rope from his grip, because the dirt lined the cam and the rope the rope would not lock off like an ATC would and so I fell. When I got up the device was still stuck in the open position and my partner lock off hand was behind his back. He tried to stop me but there was too many things going against him.

By the way we sent that Gri-Gri back to Petzel and they found nothing wrong with it...

Bottom line Gri-Gri's do not autolock and can malfunction...more often then not it is the belayers fault but not in my case, as I was falling I remember yelling at him to lock off and he replied "I am!" then I hit the ground!
And yes the rope was on a ground tarp...in the Red it does not matter though the dust is going to get on your rope!

fredrogers

Apr 2, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #34 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to seriously doubt the conclusions of this last post about cratering in the Red. Chances are your partners non-brake rope hand squeezed the Gri-gri while feeding you out slack. And then you fell while his hand was still squeezing it, not allowing the cam to engage. Meanwhile his brake hand was grabbing at the rope and getting burnt as it slipped through. The dirt had nothing to do with it. Almost every sport cliff is a dusty dirt pile at the base from everyone walking around. I've seen plenty of filthy ropes and they work just fine with a Gri-Gri. I think pilot error is to blame.

I know. I wasn't there. Maybe it was a freakish dirt lube problem but have you thought my explanation might be a possibility?

allenperry

Apr 2, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #35 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd agree that you should take care to prevent foriegn material from entering the Gri Gri, and the analysis given may actually represent what happened. However, there are some seeming innaccuracies and ambiguous statements you could elaborate on.

In reply to:
The analysis of what happened was this...when I pulled up for slack to clip he opened the camming device to give more rope. When I fell he locked off, or so he thought but the sudden jeck of the wieght of my body just yanked the rope from his grip, because the dirt lined the cam and the rope the rope would not lock off like an ATC would and so I fell. When I got up the device was still stuck in the open position and my partner lock off hand was behind his back. He tried to stop me but there was too many things going against him.

1)Did your belayer use his "brake" hand or "feed" hand to 'open the camming device'? Even if the belayer did use the appropiate method to momentarily feed the rope out, that is: A momentary holding of the device open with the "BRAKE" hand, Can you confirm with absolute certainty his "FEED" hand did not hold the device open during the fall. (Panic can make even a solid belayer's memory sketchy)

2)What do you mean 'The device was stuck in the open position'? When the Gri Gri is at "rest" it is OPEN, and the cam is not engaged. Was the Gri Gri in the position it normally is before the cam is engaged?

3)How was it "stuck"? Could you not manually open it? Did you try a quick "yank" on the climber side of the rope to confirm whether the cam would engage or not?

Just some questions that came to my mind when reading your post.

Perry

hyhuu

Apr 2, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #36 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
haha of course cause people think that they are idiot proof.... yea right ... far from !

There is no such thing as idiot proof because idiots are forever ingenius at finding ways to screw it up. But I heard that the Gri-Gri can help on controlling population growth.

theangryenchilada

Apr 2, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #37 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to those of you that are actually learning from this thread: Go out IMMEDIATELY and buy a figure 8, cause they're super cheap and australian girls love them (and those of us that are ashamed of the fact that we even clicked on this god-forsaken thread will know never to climb with you).

brutusofwyde

Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #38 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DOwnt kraytur.

I crayturd 1nce end anded pu width drain bamage.

tubrus

curt

Apr 3, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #39 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best and most foolproof solution is to NEVER let anyone belay you. This has been proven to keep belayer error to a minimum.

Curt

jt512

Apr 3, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #40 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have to seriously doubt the conclusions of this last post about cratering in the Red.

Me too. The first clue is that he fell while clipping.

In reply to:
Chances are your partners non-brake rope hand squeezed the Gri-gri while feeding you out slack.

Yep.

In reply to:
And then you fell while his hand was still squeezing it, not allowing the cam to engage. Meanwhile his brake hand was grabbing at the rope and getting burnt as it slipped through.

Commonly, the belayer inadvertantly grabs the wrong side of the rope (ie, the leader's side), which limits the shock load to the grigri, further preventing it from locking.

-Jay

reedcrr

Apr 4, 2004, 7:53 AM
Post #41 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All:

How I explained it is from the account of my belayer whom I trust dearly and have for many years.

42 feet is a long time to fall and if his non- brake hand was holding the gri-gri open I think he would have realized it and let go. Beside I had yelled at him to lock off and he yelled back that he was.

As far as the gri-gri being stuck open, yes you are correct that it is always open...what I am talking about is I yanked hard on my end of the rope after I got my senses and all I got was rope...no lock off.

It could have been operator error and believe me I looked in to that because I was pissed that I got dropped from so high up. I to this day think the Gri-Gri malfunctioned...that is how I see it....

However, I will admit that I was not beside him to see what was going on , I was falling and seeing the ground coming up rather quickly and trying to figure out the best way to land. Again I can only go on what I saw after the fact and what he told me.

socalclimber

Apr 4, 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #42 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus. :shock:

I've said this a bunch of times. I'll say it again. There is no such thing as a dangerous belay device. Studies can be sited, first hand acounts can be sited, it makes no difference.

It's real simple ladies and gents. There are only dangerous belayers. QUITE BLAMING THE DEVICE FOR YOUR MISTAKES. Belay devices are only as safe as the person who uses it.

Sigh... :roll:

addiroids

Apr 4, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #43 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use a hip belay. No devise to malfunction except for your brain. You all are noobs and should stick to sports climbing. Especially Curt :)

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

socalclimber

Apr 4, 2004, 2:56 PM
Post #44 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Use a hip belay. No devise to malfunction except for your brain. You all are noobs and should stick to sports climbing. Especially Curt

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chossmonkey

Apr 4, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #45 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one and only time I've been dropped was with a Gri-Gri while I was using an unattentive belayer. :x I still feel and know I'm much safer being belayed with a Gri-Gri (when used properly) than a regular devise.

reedcrr

Apr 5, 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #46 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Socialclimber:

Robert, sorry but I do not agree with you on your latest post....

I have been climing since I was fourteen, I am now 32. I grew up in Las Vegas and climbed there on a very regular basis. Like you I have also been involed in SAR, mostly in the Red Rocks and Charleston areas and I have seen alot of things in my life. I have seen carabiners break, webbing rip apart, an ATC slpit in half from hitting the rock after the belayer was pulled off the ground and multiple accidents from faulty camming devices. In addition I have seen climber errors such as Gri-Gri errors, but this is not always the case.

The individual who was belaying for me that day is also on a SAR team and a first responder and has had thousands of arrests counted to him...he has never dropped anyone in his life, save me. He has been climbing for 10 years longer then me, he is the best set man in a rescue situation that I have ever seen.

Being an mechanical engineer I am here to tell you that I looked very closely in to my event and found, after careful examination, the equipment to be at fault, the whole reason for telling this story is to warn people that it does happen!

If you want to be so bold as to make a blanket statments such as equipment does not fail then I think you need to revaluate your spot on the SAR team due to the fact that you are over confindent and that is just plain dangerous for what you do.

I would think that you would have more common sense then that. As a SAR team member you first thought should be to back up everything and expect things to fail and be prepared for that to happen. You have other lives in your care and you should think about that!

Climbing since 1996.... you need more time in the grade Robert, good luck in your climbing and I hope you never have see a Gri-Gri fail.

dorkmaster

Apr 5, 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #47 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I laugh just thinking about how a guy a know who's done Astroman, Salathe, The Nose, and put up half of the first ascents in Clifton Maine, still has trouble setting up a Gri-Gri correctly.
haha I know who that is!!! hehehehe :D

jt512

Apr 5, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #48 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Socialclimber:

Robert, sorry but I do not agree with you on your latest post....

I have been climing since I was fourteen, I am now 32. I grew up in Las Vegas and climbed there on a very regular basis. Like you I have also been involed in SAR, mostly in the Red Rocks and Charleston areas and I have seen alot of things in my life. I have seen carabiners break, webbing rip apart, an ATC slpit in half from hitting the rock after the belayer was pulled off the ground and multiple accidents from faulty camming devices. In addition I have seen climber errors such as Gri-Gri errors, but this is not always the case.

But have you ever seen a device inexplicably fail to work under conditions in which it has worked many times before and after the "failure"?

In reply to:
The individual who was belaying for me that day is also on a SAR team and a first responder and has had thousands of arrests counted to him...

How many with a gri-gri?

In reply to:
Being an mechanical engineer I am here to tell you that I looked very closely in to my event and found, after careful examination, the equipment to be at fault...

Merely stating that your investigation was "careful" and "close," without providing a single detail of that investigation, is not very convincing.

Common sense, IMO, suggests that a simple mechanical device, like a grigri, will not mysteriously malfunction, if it has functioned properly under identical curcumstances 1000s of times. If you were dropped by your belayer while using a grigri, I think you need to look at how the circumstances differred from the many times that the grigri worked properly.

Slow-motion falls, debris in the device, excess wear, etc. can prevent the grigri from locking up. But getting dropped with a grigri while clipping is common, and the cause well-known. It is some varient of this: The belayer has his brake hand on the cam and his guide hand on the leader's side of the rope pulling out slack. The leader falls while making the clip. The belayer's first reaction is to grip tighter. He holds open the cam and increases his grip on the leader's side of the rope. Even if he lets go of the cam at this point, it is not clear that the grigri will lock because by maintaing his grip on the leader's side of the rope he is slowing the fall and preventing the device from recieving the shock load required for the cam to engage. I suppose it is possible that, once rope started running through the device, that the cam might not engage even if the belayer locked off, if he was still holding tightly onto the leader's side of the rope. I suspect that in your case, if he was indeed locking off, that he was still holding onto your side of the rope. If this was the case, I would have to say that the belayer erred.

-Jay

reedcrr

Apr 6, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #49 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,

Good point and understood...

This is how I came to the conclusion in my mind that it was the device...

1.) Operator experience - can't exactly quantify how many arrests this individual has had on a Gri-Gri...but he is well versed in the operation of that device and the pitfalls that come with it. Mearly stated he has used a Gri-Gri in most of his belays for several years now...at lot of that time with me on the sharp end, so he was accustomed to my climbing style and could anticipate me coming off the wall in most cases.

2.) Debris and dirt in the device - The dust covered this device when it was removed from the rope, in addition minute particals of a branch...granted not a whole lot, probably introduced from the rope picking it up. Again not very much at all but it was there.

3.) Post fall test - As stated I did yank on my side of the rope with enough force to engage the device but on the first yank all I recieved was rope. A subsequent pull engaged the device properly.

4.) Increased friction during the fall - I believe that the only reason I did not break my ankles that day was an amount of friction and tension I felt in the rope as I was falling... not quite sure if it was from his hand holding on to the rope or from the device attempting to engage but it was signifigant enough to slow my descent. I was not in a freefall or full open drop but I was not fully arrested either. This could go with your theory of a "slow fall" even though it was not slow in my opinion...the ground came quickly. I could see the argument that there might not have been enough force to engage the device in the first place...quite possible.

With all that said I still trust a Gri-Gri and my belayer on this trip, I may never know exactly what caused this event to happen I can only state my opinion based on the above items.

jt512

Apr 6, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #50 of 60 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jay,

Good point and understood...

This is how I came to the conclusion in my mind that it was the device...

2.) Debris and dirt in the device - The dust covered this device when it was removed from the rope, in addition minute particals of a branch...granted not a whole lot, probably introduced from the rope picking it up. Again not very much at all but it was there.

Debris in the device is a known failure mode. Particles of branch in the device sound dangerous.

In reply to:
3.) Post fall test - As stated I did yank on my side of the rope with enough force to engage the device but on the first yank all I recieved was rope. A subsequent pull engaged the device properly.

Hard to assess the validity of this test conducted under uncontrolled conditions, as I'm sure you know. The failure on the first yank might have been due to debris, a sign of excess wear, or you might not have yanked hard enough. (The natural reaction after the first failure would be to yank harder the next time.) I've heard a couple of claims of old grigris becoming worn and not catching well. On the other hand, one of my partners has a very early model grigri, which he has used extensively. He's worn a channel in the lip of the grigri from lowering; nonetheless, the device routinely catches falls on 9.4 mm ropes, which are below the minimum diameter that grigris are designed for. Consequently, I don't know what to make of claims of worn grigris not catching people (on gym ropes, no less).

In reply to:
4.) Increased friction during the fall - I believe that the only reason I did not break my ankles that day was an amount of friction and tension I felt in the rope as I was falling... not quite sure if it was from his hand holding on to the rope or from the device attempting to engage but it was signifigant enough to slow my descent. I was not in a freefall or full open drop but I was not fully arrested either. This could go with your theory of a "slow fall" even though it was not slow in my opinion...the ground came quickly. I could see the argument that there might not have been enough force to engage the device in the first place...quite possible.

I agree that from your description of the fall, your fall was slowed by friction. One question is whether this friction came from your partner having properly locked off the device, from him improperly gripping your side of the rope, or both. Was his guide hand burned?

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook