RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

treenail

Jan 20, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1107 views)
Shortcut

SRT
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone used the Petzl I'd for working up and down a rope? How does it work for you? Not mechanically, is it funky or easy to use?

Does anyone know of any other descenders that have a "Sweet Spot" like the I'd, Kong Indy or Anthron? The Stop will run if the handle is squeezed in a panic.

Tom

krustyklimber

Feb 10, 2002, 1:05 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1107 views)
Shortcut

SRT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out petzl.com. The I'd looks cool and I think it is approved for professional use, like window washers ect. Haven't used one.
Jeff

smithclimber

Feb 15, 2002, 9:48 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1107 views)
Shortcut

SRT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, the Petzl Grigri may work well for you. It's hard to know exactly what you mean by the sweet spot though. The Grigri is VERY similar in operation to the Petzl Stop and is harder to make it slip if you do grab onto it in a panic, although not completely impossible. With both the Stop and the Grigri, if you are descending and DO happen to get going a little out of control, you MUST have the presense of mind to RELEASE the handle(s) rather than squeeze (or pull in the Grigri's case) harder. If you do, you will fall until you let go or hit the ground, whichever comes first!!
In the Petzl ID's case, it's alot like the Grigri in operation, but has an additional safety feature. While rappelling, if you DO happen to pull all the way back on the handle in some sort of panic, the device will also lock up. So, if you don't pull the handle at all it locks up. If you pull the handle all the way back it locks up.
Make sense? Check out Petzl.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook