Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pendereki

Dec 9, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #26 of 60 (1867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Wiregates are the easiest to clip so the climbaxe ones would be just as easy to clip as any other.

Thank you for your expert opinion.

Jay

Gee whiz, I guess if I was really really strong like you and could redpoint .12s I would get super picky and annoying about gear all of a sudden...
Oh wait, I can and I didn't.

Gee whiz, I guess if I was really really strong like you and could redpoint .12s I would get super picky and annoying about gear all of a sudden...
Oh wait, I can't and I did.

Don't buy crap.

CM

currupt4130

Dec 9, 2008, 4:43 AM
Post #27 of 60 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Wiregates are the easiest to clip so the climbaxe ones would be just as easy to clip as any other.

Jay

Don't buy crap.

CM

I'll second the "Don't buy crap". Spend a few extra bucks to get something tested and true. I get sketched out when one of my partners pulls out her Rock Empire cams... I pull the trigger and the freaking thing folds over.

It's my opinion that when you pay the few extra bucks for BD or Petzl over some no name crap from Madrock or climbaxe you get the dedication to quality that is so well established with them and not the other guys. I'll pay my few extra bucks knowing full well that BD and Petzl have a firm history of good gear and extensive testing and quality control (less the Zephyr phenomenon)

(This post was edited by currupt4130 on Dec 9, 2008, 4:45 AM)

USnavy

Dec 9, 2008, 8:39 AM
Post #28 of 60 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Negtive. Solid gates are much easier to clip...

johnwesely

Dec 9, 2008, 1:17 PM
Post #29 of 60 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
pendereki wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Jay

Don't buy crap.

CM

I'll second the "Don't buy crap". Spend a few extra bucks to get something tested and true. I get sketched out when one of my partners pulls out her Rock Empire cams... I pull the trigger and the freaking thing folds over.

It's my opinion that when you pay the few extra bucks for BD or Petzl over some no name crap from Madrock or climbaxe you get the dedication to quality that is so well established with them and not the other guys. I'll pay my few extra bucks knowing full well that BD and Petzl have a firm history of good gear and extensive testing and quality control (less the Zephyr phenomenon)

I have had 6 of the climbaxe draws for over a year now, and they are my favorite draws except for the short sling.

jt512

Dec 9, 2008, 1:59 PM
Post #30 of 60 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
currupt4130 wrote:
pendereki wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Jay

Don't buy crap.

CM

I have had 6 of the climbaxe draws for over a year now, and they are my favorite draws except for the short sling.

So, are you going to replace those skinny spectra runners next year, like you're supposed to? Sure you are. And what's the open-gate strength of those biners? That's the single most important attribute of a carabiner, and the ClimbAxe website doesn't even disclose it (but who cares, as long as they're the cheapest, eh?). Furthermore, those biners have notched noses, which is a general pain in the ass, and a potential safety issue because of the possibility of the notch hooking a bolt hanger. If those are favorite quick draws, I'd have to see the rest of your draws.

Jay

johnwesely

Dec 9, 2008, 2:22 PM
Post #31 of 60 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some omega pacific 4.0s, black diamond, petzl, and mammut draws. The open strength is on the website and is 6.5 kilonewtons. That is weaker than the spirits open gate strength and I will give you that, but if weren't for these draws being so cheap I would not have been able to climb at all. I turned all of my sport draw into trad draw so I have replaced the spectra.

jt512

Dec 9, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #32 of 60 (1797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
The open strength is on the website and is 6.5 kilonewtons. That is weaker than the spirits open gate strength...

That's the lowest open-gate strength I've ever heard of! I thought that the EN minimum for anything but ovals was 7kN. Those draws are unsafe.

Edit: I don't know where you got the 6.5 kN figure from. If you've got the Veri-Light XT biners, the website says that they have a 9kN open-gate strength, which is reasonable.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Dec 9, 2008, 2:45 PM)

dingus

Dec 9, 2008, 3:02 PM
Post #33 of 60 (1788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jac4] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jac4 wrote:
Hello. I don't know anything about rock climbing, but my climber-brother has asked for a "set of quickdraws" for Christmas.

For your reference, boys. Please study the underlined parts.

The dude is NOT a climber. He wants a cool gift for his Bro. "Cheapest' , gate open strength.... irrelevant.

Its meaningless to the OP.

I recently bought all new draws and biners. I did not even GLANCE at the gate open strength of the black diamond and Pretzel biners I bought. I think the gate open strength of name brand biners is largely unimportant, It certainly is to me.

Gate open strength is nothing more than a purchase decision scoring criteria, so far as name brand biners go.

DMT

jt512

Dec 9, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #34 of 60 (1781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
I think the gate open strength of name brand biners is largely unimportant, It certainly is to me.

Why? You don't value your life?

Jay

dingus

Dec 9, 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #35 of 60 (1772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
I think the gate open strength of name brand biners is largely unimportant, It certainly is to me.

Jay

I value my life. I don't value obsessing over largely equivalent strength ratings. Neither the Pretzel nor the BD biners are substandard.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Dec 9, 2008, 3:26 PM)

johnwesely

Dec 9, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #36 of 60 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
The open strength is on the website and is 6.5 kilonewtons. That is weaker than the spirits open gate strength...

That's the lowest open-gate strength I've ever heard of! I thought that the EN minimum for anything but ovals was 7kN. Those draws are unsafe.

Edit: I don't know where you got the 6.5 kN figure from. If you've got the Veri-Light XT biners, the website says that they have a 9kN open-gate strength, which is reasonable.

Jay

I have no idea were I got that figure from. I was pretty tired this morning and I looked at the figure last night.

You win this time.

jt512

Dec 9, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #37 of 60 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:

Jay

I value my life. I don't value obsessing over largely equivalent strength ratings. Neither the Pretzel nor the BD biners are substandard.

DMT

The BDs used to be. They had 8 kN open-gate strength, when better biners had 9.5–10. I found it a little suspicious several years ago when BD biners started coming out marked with 9 kN open-gate strength, with no noticeable change in design.

Jay

dingus

Dec 9, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #38 of 60 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so you were supicious. Suspicious doesn't equal below-standard biner failure.

DMT

vegastradguy

Dec 9, 2008, 3:51 PM
Post #39 of 60 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rather than wasting your money, i would suggest that your brother be a bit more specific in what brand he wants. otherwise, you stand a fair chance of your brother not using a gift you are going to probably spend over $100 on.

i have a rule about climbing gear that my friends and family all follow- they never buy it for me unless i specify exactly what i want- brand, model, color, etc, etc....otherwise, they pretend i dont climb around the holidays and buy me videogames.

shockabuku

Dec 9, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #40 of 60 (1741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahaha! You said:

vegastradguy wrote:
...i dont climb around the holidays and buy me videogames.

Sorry, couldn't resist.Smile

king_rat

Dec 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #41 of 60 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer the OP, If I am buying climbing equipment I prefer to spend a few more dollars on good quality gear rather then going for cheap stuff. Not necessary because one is safer then the other. but because, in my experience, the better quality stuff is more durable and is far more pleasant to use.

The number of quick draws you buy is up to you, generally a climber may need somewhere between 10-12 quickdraws. however having 5-6 quickdraws means that you can pool your gear with your partner, and between you have a full rack.

jt512

Dec 9, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #42 of 60 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
OK, so you were supicious. Suspicious doesn't equal below-standard biner failure.

DMT

8 kN < 10 kN. And a factor-1 fall generates about 9 kN. You decide.

Jay

dingus

Dec 9, 2008, 4:55 PM
Post #43 of 60 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I already did decide - I decided its not THE MOST IMPORTANT criteria when selecting a krab.

DMT

k.l.k

Dec 9, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #44 of 60 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:

Jay

Different applications. I don't think Dingus spends most of his time maxed out on short, ueber-steep sport routes with a single biner between him and the talus sharks.

Honestly, I can get more sketched on sport routes where I have only a few feet of rope out, the GF anchored tight (because I outweigh her 2-1), and a potential grounder at each of the first three clips. I bought Stubais just for that scenario, because they have unreal open gate strength and seat well on the hangers. If I had decent sport nearby and surfed all the time, I'd probably have at least one or two quicks setup with steel lockers or something.

I don't like the Stubais nearly as much as many of my other biners for long routes. If I'm doing long trad stuff, I usually don't take them. On the longer things, where falls are less frequent and the common sport-scenario isn't a factor, things like handling and weight can factor in a lot more heavily.

dingus

Dec 9, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #45 of 60 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:

Jay

Different applications. I don't think Dingus spends most of his time maxed out on short, ueber-steep sport routes with a single biner between him and the talus sharks.

Honestly, I can get more sketched on sport routes where I have only a few feet of rope out, the GF anchored tight (because I outweigh her 2-1), and a potential grounder at each of the first three clips. I bought Stubais just for that scenario, because they have unreal open gate strength and seat well on the hangers. If I had decent sport nearby and surfed all the time, I'd probably have at least one or two quicks setup with steel lockers or something.

I don't like the Stubais nearly as much as many of my other biners for long routes. If I'm doing long trad stuff, I usually don't take them. On the longer things, where falls are less frequent and the common sport-scenario isn't a factor, things like handling and weight can factor in a lot more heavily.

Good post. Of course I knew from whence JT comes on this issue. The one size fits all approach doesn't work for me.

Cheers
DMT

mikeboomer12

Dec 9, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #46 of 60 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're in Canada your best bet is MEC for a good deal. Here's the link right to the quickdraw section...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302690789&bmUID=1228843322596

Merry Christmas.

mikeboomer12

Dec 9, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #47 of 60 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, helps if I read the whole post...you're in San Francisco. Here's the same link @ REI which I think is you're best bet for a deal in the US...

http://www.rei.com/category/4500682

anykineclimb

Dec 9, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #48 of 60 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to the OP, ask you brother what he likes.
My gf is not a climber but knows I like specific gear and asks for specific items, links to sites or asks my partners (when she gets sneaky) when shes getting me a gift.

Asking for "quickdraws" is like asking for a "car"
Lots of options and everyone has their preferences.

the_leech

Dec 9, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #49 of 60 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:

Jay

DMT

The BDs used to be. They had 8 kN open-gate strength, when better biners had 9.5–10. I found it a little suspicious several years ago when BD biners started coming out marked with 9 kN open-gate strength, with no noticeable change in design.

Jay

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Jay and Dingus... TO THE OCTAGON!!!!

shoo

Dec 9, 2008, 6:07 PM
Post #50 of 60 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Set of Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Jay and Dingus... TO THE #12 HEX !!!!

Fixed it for you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?