RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

daisuke

Oct 14, 2001, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Simond Cubik
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone used this? comments? I'm really thinking of buying one

for those who are a bit lost it's an ATC that rotates and has either a flat face or toothed one to vary the breaking

D

compclimber

Oct 14, 2001, 2:08 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Simond Cubik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Daisuke I have used the Trango Jaws which is similar to the Cubik. The only thing I didnt like about it was when you use the "heavy braking" side its very uncontrolable when you are lowering someone...it seems like you either let them down at snails pace or your burning your hands trying to stop them. Personally I would rather use an ATC.

daisuke

Oct 14, 2001, 6:13 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well being that it's pretty much the same price as an ATC would I be better off with a regular ATC or something dual purpose like this?

are the trango jaws you mention the kind that have one side of the ATC smooth and the opposing one flat on the same face? I've seen one of those, actually it seems more versatile than the cubik because you can shift from heavy to light breaking on the same unit instead of having to turn the head around as you have to with the cubik

D

[ This Message was edited by: daisuke on 2001-10-13 23:18 ]

compclimber

Oct 14, 2001, 6:18 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The jaws have a deep "V" on one side that the rope slips into to give more surface area on the rope (hence the better lockoff of the device) the good thing about the jaws is that it has a side like an Atc also so if you dont like the V then just use the normal side...bottom line multi purpose seems to be better.

bart

Oct 14, 2001, 9:19 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you take the new Petzl Reverso (there are some forums about this multi-purpose ATC) or the Variable Controller of Wild Country? I have the last one, but if I had to buy one now, I wouldn't take it again (I don't think it is 'variable' and it is quite expensive), I'd buy the Reverso if I were you (it's a little more expensive than a normal ATC but still cheaper than the variable controller).

daisuke

Oct 14, 2001, 5:41 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard the reverso has problems with rope under 10mm, it can jam when using them and it's hard to get the rope out once it's happened, I'll wait until petzl improves it before I consider buying one

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook