Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner euroford

Sep 14, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #1 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

gear i want that doesn't exist
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

every now and then while climbing or just sitting on my arse somethig will dawn on me that would make life better. so here are a couple of items in my fantasy gear wish list. add your or comment as you please.

1. those talk about radios are great, especially for wall climbing or long trad lines. but finding a place to keep it where it is convient and out of the way is a real PITA! they also don't come with a real 'wall worthy' attachment system. this summer on the diamond one of us had clipped one to a haul bag to get it out of the way, shortly after it got knocked off and plummited to its death on broadway. what i want is compact lightweight radio intigrated into a little box that i could screw or glue to the side of my helmet. it would be out of the way, always available and close ehough to your ear and mouth. it could be stripped down feature wise and wouldn't need a long range.

2. mini 100% waterproof haulbags with a riverbag closure. sleeping bags take up a shitton of room in the haulbags, are combersome and need to be kept dry. we used a heavy duty vinyl riverbag and clipped it to the outside of the haulbags. this worked well, but i was constantly worried about tearing a hole in it or having the cordage i slung it with fail. if one of these could be built 'wall worthy' i would buy it in a heartbeat, i'd probobly buy two, one for the extra clothes as well.

3. a duel skin portaledge fly. i invision a super lightweight fly, maybe made of the material BD makes the winter bivy out of, it could be intigrated into the portaledge powerpoint. if some weather rolls in too quick for you to properly prepair you could just deploy it and have some limited protection. when your really going to bed down you can deploy something like the ACE yosemiti fly over top of it. the pole would set through the uber tough outer fly, then toggles at the pole can be connected between the inner lightweight breathable fly and the outer storm shell. you'd have the best of all worlds, serious storm protection, ultra quick protection from lite weather and it would practicly eliminate the problem of condensation. all with a minimal weight penalty. think if you breaded together an ACE Cliff Cabana and a Hillburg tent.

boadman

Sep 14, 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #2 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear i want that doesn't exist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want a lightweight (less than 5 lbs) compact velocity actuated levitator belt (powered by a fuel cell with 200 hours of operation) so that I can get rid of all gear except for shoes and chalk.

Also, an extremely tough, low profile camelback that wouldn't be a pain on chimneys and dihedrals would be nice. One where the nozzles don't pop off all the time.

kachoong

Sep 14, 2006, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1. those talk about radios are great, especially for wall climbing or long trad lines. but finding a place to keep it where it is convient and out of the way is a real PITA! they also don't come with a real 'wall worthy' attachment system. this summer on the diamond one of us had clipped one to a haul bag to get it out of the way, shortly after it got knocked off and plummited to its death on broadway. what i want is compact lightweight radio intigrated into a little box that i could screw or glue to the side of my helmet. it would be out of the way, always available and close ehough to your ear and mouth. it could be stripped down feature wise and wouldn't need a long range.
I've used two way radios (more like a wireless intercom) between two climbers before. It was the same ones we used communicating between our motorcycles on the highway. They worked pretty well and sat against the ear ok, except when pulling through rooves. The first ones we used had antenae and would keep hitting the rock when we were up underneath overhangs. Pain in the arse!

I used to dream about heel spurs on crampons in the mid 90's but someone has already invented them.... :roll:

How 'bout double-bladed ice axes, perhaps even triple, with the outside picks a little shorter and removable.... would be great for getting purchace in old, sugary or styrofoam-like ice.

devils_advocate

Sep 14, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #4 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An unbreakable Alien

...and a shoe that repels the funk. And we're not talking about Bootsy.

svilnit

Sep 14, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #5 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Ideas guys, keep em' coming.....

Grabbing a pen and paper..

devils_advocate

Sep 14, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #6 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great Ideas guys, keep em' coming.....

Grabbing a pen and paper..

Loads up USPTO's electronic patent filing system

Yes.... keep them coming :P

crackers

Sep 14, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #7 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm actually working on a tenty thing for portaledges. What I'm working on is a pop-out fly around the portaledge that is a superlight weight 200psi waterproof material to provide some protection from the sun and from weather. Then a second part that integrates below this to keep you totally dry and happy.

Who knows if I'll ever finish it...

climbingaggie03

Sep 14, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #8 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want an ultra burly dry bag, Jacks Plastic Welding makes the strongest dry bags I've ever seen, and most of them have an attachment system that would probably work to attach below a haul bag. I've used these on the river for a few seasons now, and I'd have no reservations about them tearing, the hauling would be the crux, but I'd bet they would work with you and build something custom. check out their site if you want, http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=home is their main page.
http://www.jpwinc.com/...roducts&item_no=4110 has a few of their bags

markc

Sep 14, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #9 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
those talk about radios are great, especially for wall climbing or long trad lines. but finding a place to keep it where it is convient and out of the way is a real PITA! they also don't come with a real 'wall worthy' attachment system. this summer on the diamond one of us had clipped one to a haul bag to get it out of the way, shortly after it got knocked off and plummited to its death on broadway. what i want is compact lightweight radio intigrated into a little box that i could screw or glue to the side of my helmet. it would be out of the way, always available and close ehough to your ear and mouth. it could be stripped down feature wise and wouldn't need a long range.

I don't know what your Talkabouts look like, but mine look similar to the T5500. They have a really crappy clip that can be removed from the radio body, and a small slot you can thread just above the battery casing. I shoved a piece of elastic cord through, tied it off, and clipped the other end to a rear gear loop with a toy biner. I have a thin belt for my chalk bag, and I keep the radio clipped to that. It's easy to adjust from side to side if I'm in a chimney or need a hip scum. Should the clip blow, the radio is still attached to the harness. The elastic gives me the range to talk comforably, but doesn't get tangled while climbing. I've never done a wall, but it works for free routes.

Partner euroford

Sep 14, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #10 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this drybags are pretty nice.

i have one of those exact same moto radios. the other is of course smashed to bits at the base of the diamond. those clips are worthless, it didn't actually come unclipped, but the clip came out of the little hole.

now that i think about it, i should take the other one apart when i get some spare time and see if i can make my dream a reality. i'll post back if i do it and get some good results.

Partner tgreene

Sep 14, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #11 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) Self sticking "Porta-A-Jugs", for those extra special OH SHIT moments... Rather than chipping or drilling, you can simply peel the back off of a one-time use jug, stick it to the featureless face, and pull on through.

2) "Hide-A-Bolts" -- Tired of seeing bolted cracks and bolt ladders..? Then you need to carry a couple sloper shaped "Hide-A-Bolts" on your rack, to make those unsightly and stupidly placed bolts disapper, without being blamed for pulling or chopping them.

3) Porta-A-Jug shaped Hide-A-Bolts :lol:

climbindrummer

Sep 14, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #12 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want a lightweight (less than 5 lbs) compact velocity actuated levitator belt (powered by a fuel cell with 200 hours of operation) so that I can get rid of all gear except for shoes and chalk.

Also, an extremely tough, low profile camelback that wouldn't be a pain on chimneys and dihedrals would be nice. One where the nozzles don't pop off all the time.

I have a pair of ham-powered stickyfoot 3000 ninja shoes with rare-earth magnet supergluerubber that can send V12 on thier own.

Also, the CamelBak stealth is a personal favorite. It's designed to fit comfortably under a pack or sitting in a vehicle (like a Humvee). I've never tried climbing a crack with mine though...

trevzilla

Sep 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #13 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the radios go. Instead of having them attached to the helmet, why not integrate them into the helmet! Could have a little ear phone and mouth peice. (Easilly turned off too, and stashed out of the way, above your head, for when you don't need it)

It could also work on Voice Activation. No hands needed. . . I'd buy one!

markc

Sep 15, 2006, 1:54 AM
Post #14 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have one of those exact same moto radios. the other is of course smashed to bits at the base of the diamond. those clips are worthless, it didn't actually come unclipped, but the clip came out of the little hole.

now that i think about it, i should take the other one apart when i get some spare time and see if i can make my dream a reality. i'll post back if i do it and get some good results.

Exactly my usual problem. A friend has the older model of Talkabouts, which has a much better clip and tether point. Even though the new clip is pivoting, it's a major design flaw for heavy use. It pops out with little effort. The model I linked to was the closest I could find to my radios, and may not have the small thread point towards the top of the radio back. I'd tape the clips directly to the radio, but it would make changing the batteries a real pain. The tethers have saved my radios on more than one occasion.

Good luck playing with your remaining radio.

joshklingbeil

Sep 15, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #15 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought up three good ideas this summer while I was out in Tuolumne. The best ideas seem to just hit me on the head.

trebork2
Deleted

Sep 15, 2006, 2:33 AM
Post #16 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...and a shoe that repels the funk. And we're not talking about Bootsy.

Amen to that!!!

Partner angry

Sep 15, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #17 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I built a prototype pair of climbing pants. Specifically designed endure the rigors of wide crack climbing. It's a lot of work for me (someone who doesn't know how to sew too well) to make pants without a pattern. The first pair worked and turned out ok, but the time to put another pair together has prevented me from making another pair.

I've got an idea for radios. It will blow eurofords idea out of the water. In fact, it'd make radio's for all climbing (except big mountains) basically obsolete. Again, it's a matter of time and trips to radio-shack to build something I don't actually have any background in making.

Partner euroford

Sep 15, 2006, 3:13 AM
Post #18 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well get to it boy!

as for intigrating into the helmut, must be a retrofit to a petzl ecrin rock.

i love my helmut.

sick_climba

Sep 15, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #19 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the piece of chewing gum that will enable you to climb 5.15? Who doesn't want one of those?
Unfortunatly said gum alows the chewer to climb 5.15 only while gum is being chewed upon, and it might turn you into a blue berry by the time you hit the crux....

Partner angry

Sep 15, 2006, 3:19 AM
Post #20 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well get to it boy!

as for intigrating into the helmut, must be a retrofit to a petzl ecrin rock.

i love my helmut.
http://guerradasestrelas.no.sapo.pt/...0(Darth%20Vader).jpg

jaybro

Sep 15, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #21 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I am addicted to drugs that haven't been invented."

-WS Burroughs

andypro

Sep 15, 2006, 3:47 AM
Post #22 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I've got an idea for radios. It will blow eurofords idea out of the water. In fact, it'd make radio's for all climbing (except big mountains) basically obsolete. Again, it's a matter of time and trips to radio-shack to build something I don't actually have any background in making.

If ya want, you can run your idea by me and I'll try to help ya out if I can. I've got a degree in electronics, used to run a business where 50% of it was scratch design and R&D. I'll even keep it a secret and dont care about any credit :D I just think the design of new ideas is a hell of alot of fun!

dan2see

Sep 15, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #23 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want a helmet-cam. I'd use it to record a log of the day's climbing. Later, at home, I can edit the good parts.

I often think about the problems we surmounted. I'd really like to analyze some of the outstanding challenges. But memory is flexible.

Action video might be nice, but to be practical, I'd select one frame per second. It would need a control to select fish-eye or telescopic. My old camera has auto exposure and focus, so that feature already exists.

Partner brent_e

Sep 15, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #24 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

How 'bout double-bladed ice axes, perhaps even triple, with the outside picks a little shorter and removable.... would be great for getting purchace in old, sugary or styrofoam-like ice.

the is good until you have to remove them! :D

I think trangos mixed pick is as close as you'll get (have you seen it??)

http://trango.com/prod.php?id=5

Brent

kachoong

Sep 15, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #25 of 59 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want a helmet-cam. I'd use it to record a log of the day's climbing. Later, at home, I can edit the good parts.
....like photoshopping Lhotse in the background....

In reply to:
In reply to:

the is good until you have to remove them! :D

I think trangos mixed pick is as close as you'll get (have you seen it??)

http://trango.com/prod.php?id=5

Brent
...yeah, seen 'em. Not a bad idea. I'd like to see that "T" a little wider though (would have to be longer too, to keep the same tapered dimensions), especially if you know the ice might crap out on you.... and if the design has an attachment bolt like BD, where you can use the other tool, should be fine to remove them. They might weigh a bit much though...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook