RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

floof

Jan 22, 2002, 10:08 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

identifying your gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you label your gear so when you climb with others, you know which biner/nut/draw belongs to whom? Do you stamp or use tape? Where on your biners do you tape: gate or spine? Which marker do you recommend for fabric?

I just took a class where my gear got mixed up with the teacher's. Luckily, my gear was shiny and fresh, while his gear was used, in a manly way.

TIA,
- John

cass

Jan 22, 2002, 11:22 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

identifying your gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use tape of 3 different colours and devised a pattern which would be unique to my own gear (hopefully) and put it on the spine. I haven’t marked fabric, but would imagine that the ink pen you would use to mark clothes (I’m sure there’s a name for it) would be useful.

addiroids

Jan 22, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flourescent orange spray paint on the pins and spine of biners, colored tape on the nuts and cams, and many scratches on the belay device and helmet.

Tape anywhere on biners hangs stuff up all the time. Just be creative and make it look as clashing and ugly as possible, and don't be discreet about where you paint so you can tell from 10 feet away what's yours.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

jer

Jan 22, 2002, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on, roids.
I have tried and seen just about everything, but what has worked best for me was an obnoxious color of spraypaint on the spines of my biners; and all of my slings and slings on cams I dip a quarter inch piece into "plasti-dip" which is a rubber coating that is VERY recognizable.
With Spray paint, I have never had to re paint....with nail polish , I have; with tape I have.
My buddy also swears by engraving his initials into his entire rack...but I can never see it in a quick look- always rolling it around in my hand searching for the magical initials.

jer so square

gumby

Jan 22, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They make electrical tape in a wide assortment of colors. They sell it at most hardware stores. It's cheaper than the "rack tags" that they sell and it works just as good.

woodse

Jan 22, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Electrical tape seems to do the job for me. Doesn't paint come off biners pretty quickly with moderate use??? Also I don't think dipping them in plastic crap sounds like a good idea, is this plastic stuff hot or cold when you apply it??

woodsE

passthepitonspete

Jan 22, 2002, 11:56 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spoken with Arnold accent:

Real Men mark zer gear vith nail polish.

You must scroll down to ze footnotes. Do not use pinky-purple, or I vill haf to kill you.

jer

Jan 23, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

woodse- it's plasti dip.
check it out at your local Lowe's or Home Depot or what-have-ya. It's room temperature stuff, and is flexible. Really fun stuff to play with and usefull for the ends of your rope(many gyms use it to cover over their toproping knots). Also good for tool handles, spatulas, your javelin...and for me; marking my slings. I do it to the sewing/stitching point on slings.
safe stuff, do not worry.

jer
p.s. the paint stays according to how "featured" your biner is. With ovals- it's not AS good, but with neutrinos(my fave) it stays in the grooves and stuff well enough to be recognizable after much wear and tear...I do a primer layer, then two or three layers of my bright TEAL. so...if you see any TEAL painted biners or plasti-dip slings around...give em back!!!

[ This Message was edited by: jer on 2002-01-22 16:22 ]

floof

Jan 23, 2002, 5:44 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna see if I can find a unique combination of tape and paint that is "me". Though I do have a lot of nail polish handy....

- John

rado

Jan 23, 2002, 7:47 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT mark your biners, figure 8, ATCs, etc... by engraving your initials! A climber died because of that in my country a few years ago. When he fell, a biner broke exactly at the point of engraved initials.

Best wishes,
Rado

woodse

Jan 23, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhh....

Well make sure everyone marks their gear before the UT event this summer cause I don't want any bickering about who's gear is who's!!!!

woodsE

traddad

Jan 24, 2002, 2:08 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a bunch ot Trango Rack Tags as part of my prize package at the last PBC. They seem to work well and hold up reasonably. I would have never purchased them, but hey, free is good.
Otherwise, a sick color of spray paint (Monkey puke green....everyone uses orange) would be my first choice.

Traddadadadadada

addiroids

Jan 24, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You won WHAT at the PBC??? All I won was some beer and some free posters. Ohh yeah, and a chalk bag for knowing that the Access Fund recently bought Quartz Mountain in OK.

I saw 8 year old girls flashing 80 point problems after I flailed and screamed trying to get the first 3 moves. Too many long moderates and not enough hard climbing sure puts a damper on the whole bouldering thing. But I had a ton of fun and plan to go back this year too. I will still suck and probably be weaker unless I get my ass back in the weight room (I still refuse to boulder when there is climbing right there), but it will be a great time. I got to hang out with Chris Sharma and play hacky sack with him and some dudes. He is a cool dude!! And Alli Rainey is really hot too!!!!

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

traddad

Jan 24, 2002, 4:08 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being old and local has it's perks. I took second in the local 40-50 year old class. Good prizes, though. A fleece jacket, a pair of Boreal Zens, etc.
You think YOU'RE weak.....wait till you see my guns....er, pea shooters. I'm probably stronger now than I was then, but I have NO chance of catching the guy ahead of me. He beat me by 300+ points.
I'll probably go to the comp for the party this year, and climb down in Devil's canyon during the comp.
Traddad

ratstar

Jan 25, 2002, 2:59 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any lost gear in the Utah meeting is automatically mine.

leadingedge

Feb 16, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coloured tape.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook