RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

spiderman5

Nov 28, 2012, 2:22 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6157 views)
Shortcut

soft shell / rain gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

With the cold weather I am looking for a good soft shell and rain gear that will keep me warm and dry but is also flexible and won't inhibit my climbing. Any suggestions?

Partner epoch

Nov 28, 2012, 6:38 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiderman5] soft shell / rain gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First... I moved this post into gear heads where it will receive better visibility.

Second... there are many soft shells on the market. Specifically what are your plans for this? Do you live in a cooler environment or are you looking for something to use while, say, ice climbing? Are you planning on using it in an alpine environment or are you looking for a fashionable piece to wear around town and sometimes to the crag to impress the bros?

There are sever great brands to get and the best bet is to shop around and find something that fits you correctly. the bells and whistles are just that, extra. I am a big fan of insulation and a hood, but if you think you want more waterproofing you may want to look into getting a hybrid soft/hard shell jacket - they seem to be the rage this season.

Ultimately the jacket you seek depends on what you will be using it for. Answer those questions and I'm sure you'll get many answers from the folks here.

billcoe_

Nov 28, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderman5 wrote:
With the cold weather I am looking for a good soft shell and rain gear that will keep me warm and dry but is also flexible and won't inhibit my climbing. Any suggestions?

Depending on your expected use and body size-type, look at the Kepler from Mountain Hardware. This is some amazing shit IMO and worth every overcharging dime they are asking for it. I'll confess to getting a deal on it, and it was still a crapload of scratch, and worth it. Try it for fit and if you like it, get it. Sierra Trading Post has it for $238.00 at this time.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/...4151,default,pd.html

spiderman5

Nov 29, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] soft shell / rain gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That looks like a nice jacket. I am looking for something that has some flex to it and will not prohibit movement. I found this jacket by KJUS

http://www.kjus.com/en/node/27277?category=97

It has 2 way stretch material made by Torrey, a high end fabric maker, and good water resistance / breathability. But it's over $400.

Anyone know of a good soft shell that isn't too stiff / constricting and will stretch?

billcoe_

Nov 29, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderman5 wrote:
That looks like a nice jacket. I am looking for something that has some flex to it and will not prohibit movement. I found this jacket by KJUS

http://www.kjus.com/...de/27277?category=97

It has 2 way stretch material made by Torrey, a high end fabric maker, and good water resistance / breathability. But it's over $400.

Anyone know of a good soft shell that isn't too stiff / constricting and will stretch?
That looks like it would be a good jacket. You need to be trying that stuff on to see which works best for you. ie, my lovehandless are not the same size as your love handles" :-)

As far as price goes, NW Alpine is US made by guys who get out and climb and they are selling authentic Scholler material softshells for $235. Good stuff. http://nwalpine.com/bigfour I've heard good things about the product being well designed and with high functionality. That's what I'd have bought instead had I not gotten a deal on the Mt Hardware. I would definitely check it out.

Also, I had seen a chart someplace comparing the waterproofness of various waterproof material. Anyone know where that is?

spiderman5

Dec 2, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] soft shell / rain gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hooked on that KJUS jacket. I really liked the athletic fit, the stretchiness of the material, its breathability and how weather resistant it was. So I looked into where they get their materials. Toray. A high end company in Japan.

I then looked into what other stuff Toray makes, hoping to find a similar jacket that costs less. Turns out they also make materials for an ultralight hunting company called KUIU (kuiu.com). And I found just the jacket I wanted on their website. Its called the guide dcs jacket. Its a soft shell with 4 way stretch material, water / wind resistant, lined with micro fleece. I'm really excited to get it! It should be here any day now, I will let you guys know how it works out, I think it is going to be great!

spiderman5

Dec 8, 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I received my Kuiu guide jacket two days ago, I am really glad I went with this jacket! The material is awesome. Super durable but stretchy at the same time. It is really well fitted to my body and gives me full range of movement. I did an "under the tap" water resistance test and it help up really well. I will be bringing it with me to do some bouldering at Ortega falls this weekend but hopefully the weather is nice and I don't have to use it!

fingerincrevice

Dec 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any of their jackets yet, but I use the Kuiu attack pants for outdoor bouldering / climbing. Very durable, made with flexible 4 ways stretch, like wearing sweatpants that wont ever rip.

billcoe_

Dec 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fingerincrevice] soft shell / rain gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Deja vue all over again. http://cascadeclimbers.com/.../Outdoor_Gear#UNREAD

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook