RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

12volt_man

Mar 1, 2005, 5:36 AM
Post #1 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Fantasy Climbs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No no no...get your minds out of the gutter. :roll:

Springing off the Urban Exploaration thread, I'm curious what false faces or peaks may be out there and have caught people's imaginations. For me, it's Disneyland's Matterhorn Mountain. Always wanted to climb it and wondered how many routes can be put up, etc. (Yeah, I know theres a stairway inside)

Anyone else?

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Mar 1, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fantasy Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Crap and here I was thinking of climbing atop Johnny Depp and/or Orlando Bloom - hell why not the both of them.... :twisted:

Partner philbox

Mar 1, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The nose, no not that one I mean the nose on the Sphinx.

stevep

Mar 1, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #4 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Springing off the Urban Exploaration thread, I'm curious what false faces or peaks may be out there and have caught people's imaginations. For me, it's Disneyland's Matterhorn Mountain. Always wanted to climb it and wondered how many routes can be put up, etc. (Yeah, I know theres a stairway inside)

Anyone else?

There are actually climbs on the Matterhorn at Disneyland, and at least in the past, they used hire climbers to do them to show off for the tourists.

That said, my dream climb would be Olympus Mons on Mars.

Partner j_ung

Mar 1, 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #5 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fools! There is only one DREAM CLIMB: the Minas Tirith Arete, from LOTR.

cadaverchris

Mar 1, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #6 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah lord of the rings had some awesome fantasy climbs. The misty Mountain traverse? The Mordor Girdle? Grade VI+

along the same lines, i always wanted to paddle this big circular raft ride at six flags. I forget the name of it- oh well.

cintune

Mar 1, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #7 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://members.aol.com/....fragilebooklet2.jpg

jtt

Mar 1, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #8 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Great Wall of China Traverse without a foot touching the ground. It's only a little over 4000 miles long.

cthulu

Mar 2, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #9 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If one was into buildering, the Baradur (saurons fortress) would be a good (albiet long) climb. However, when you summit you have to deal with that flaming eye. Bummer.

abalch

Mar 2, 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #10 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Cliffs of Insanity, from Princess Bride. I mean, look at that great free solo Wesley does after Ignio cuts the rope. And, he gets to the top, and still has energy for a mean little sword fight.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 2, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #11 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fools! There is only one DREAM CLIMB: the Minas Tirith Arete, from LOTR.

geek.

kachoong

Mar 2, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #12 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah!!!!

Paramount

http://www.paramount.com/...tnav/logo_middle.gif

....Here's a little blurb about the search for it....

I found the Paramount "Mountain of Dreams"
April 18 2001 at 9:29 AM -Lynn Arave

Some 15 or so years ago, I got curious on the
Paramount Pictures logo and decided to try and find out where the mountain idea came from. I knew it wasn't a real mountain, but the inspiration for it had to come from some where.
The jury may always be out on this one because history didn't provide exact details, but here's my theory, backed by some strong evidence --
William Wasdsworth Hodkinson was the man who started Paramount Pictures and he designed the mountain logo in 1914.
He grew up in the early 1900s in Ogden, Utah, 25 miles north of Salt Lake City. From his home, a 9,712-foot majestic mountain -- Ben Lomond Peak -- dominates the skyline to the north, rising a full vertical mile above the valley floor.
Although the 2 history books written on Paramount, "Paramount Pictures and the People Who Made Them" and "Mountain of Dreams" both fail to identify the inspirational mountain by name, here's what Leslie Halliwell who wrote "Mountain of Dreams" stated:
"The mountain he (Hodkinson) doodled on the back of an envelope was a memory of childhood in his home state of Utah."
After also growing up near Ogden, I believe Ben Lomond had to be the "Mountain of Dreams" inspiration. It's by far the most dominant mountain in view, though Hodkinson did exaggerate its summit a lot in the logo.
Ironically Ben Lomond isn't even the Weber County highpoint for that area. Willard Peak, about 50 feet higher is, though that peak is smaller in size and set back further to the north.
I climbed Ben Lomond a dozen or so times in my early years and challenge anyone who knows the Ogden area to find another such majestic mountain that could have been the inspirational "Mountain of Dreams."

Ben Lomond - Utah
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/...ls/pics/b-nsky05.jpg

I'd say this is more like the Paramount
http://www.peakware.com/...ages/artesonraju.jpg

vashie

Mar 2, 2005, 1:10 AM
Post #13 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If a fire hydrant atop El Cap broke creating a solid WI5 VI pillar of ice, yeaaa.......

socalbolter

Mar 2, 2005, 1:44 AM
Post #14 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked as a climber at Disneyland in the late 80's. We had a ton of fun hamming it up for the regular park visitors. There are actually a bunch up diverse routes (up to 11+/12-) on the Matterhorn. The climbing was fun, but some of the features were a bit sharp with slippery feet.

Other than the climbing a good memory was playing half-court B-Ball inside the mountian in the breakroom (no joke!), since we only climbed 1/2 hour out of every hour.

The main thrill of the job though was to do the (against the rules and you get fired if the wrong person finds out) zipline down Tinkerbell's cable. This ran from the summit over to one of the adjacent tram towers and was used during the nightime show for Tinkerbell to "fly." Of course we climbers quickly figured out a pulley and braking system and made the cable our own. Just about everyone I worked with did this afterhours when the lights were off, and I know of at least two people who did it at night when the park was still open.

The job interview involved climbing the standard 5.9 and a successful interview got you your own leiderhosen and some petty cash to buy some Boreal Fire boots. Ah, the good old days!

josephgdawson

Mar 2, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #15 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first martian ascent, sans oxygen, of Olympus Mons (88,582 feet).

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/1088

ufdigga

Mar 2, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #16 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I worked as a climber at Disneyland in the late 80's. We had a ton of fun hamming it up for the regular park visitors. There are actually a bunch up diverse routes (up to 11+/12-) on the Matterhorn. The climbing was fun, but some of the features were a bit sharp with slippery feet.

Other than the climbing a good memory was playing half-court B-Ball inside the mountian in the breakroom (no joke!), since we only climbed 1/2 hour out of every hour.

The main thrill of the job though was to do the (against the rules and you get fired if the wrong person finds out) zipline down Tinkerbell's cable. This ran from the summit over to one of the adjacent tram towers and was used during the nightime show for Tinkerbell to "fly." Of course we climbers quickly figured out a pulley and braking system and made the cable our own. Just about everyone I worked with did this afterhours when the lights were off, and I know of at least two people who did it at night when the park was still open.

The job interview involved climbing the standard 5.9 and a successful interview got you your own leiderhosen and some petty cash to buy some Boreal Fire boots. Ah, the good old days!
That's awesome! A climbing interview at Disneyland. I've never seen the Matterhorn (I'm assuming it's at the disney in CA, because i've been to the one in FL). For me, it would have to be some of the underground routes from Jeff Long's The Descent. Anybody read that book? Frickin' awesome! Long is a climber, and also wrote a book called The Ascent about an Everest climb. Ascent was good, but Descent was AMAZING (trust me, it wasn't a sequel).

socalbolter

Mar 2, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #17 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ufdigga -

I read a lot of paperbacks (of all types: low-budget to bigoraphies) and when I read The Descent it was my favorite for quite a while. Not only was it nice to have the periodic climbing references, but the story and plot itself was very well though out and written. I would definitely suggest it for those that enjoy adventure and/or anthropological minded thriller novels.

I've read a few of his other books and seem to recall enjoying them as well, although this was the definite standout for me.

And yes, the Disneyland I worked for was here in California.

ufdigga

Mar 2, 2005, 8:29 AM
Post #18 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was tops for me as well, until King finally finished his Dark Tower books (which I had been reading since I was 9). I probably read Descent 4 or 5 times by now. Ground Zero was pretty enjoyable too.

I'm usually not one to wish for a book to be transferred to film. But with all the amazing (and exciting) imagery in that book, AND DONE THE RIGHT WAY, can you imagine what a kick-ass movie that would be?!

blind_wit

Mar 2, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #19 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Olympus Mons...all the way...

cintune

Mar 3, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #20 of 20 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Olympus Mons...all the way...

Not necessarily a fantasy. Posted this a few days ago:

In reply to:
From a NASA pres release:

"Electroactive polymers are simple, lightweight strips of highly flexible plastic that bend or stretch when put into contact with chemicals or electricity. They are quiet and shatterproof and can be used to imitate human muscle movements.
A small team of scientists at JPL, in cooperation with research centers worldwide, are working to turn these plastic strips into grippers and strings that can grab and lift loads. JPL engineers are also hoping to build a rover with legs fitted with artificial muscles. The robot would be able to walk instead of rolling on wheels on planetary surfaces. "My hope is to see a rover run like a horse on Mars and climb steep mountains like a monkey, allowing us to reach distances and heights that are not possible with wheeled rovers," said Bar-Cohen who has chaired the conference for the past six years. During the conference, he will receive the 2005 Smart Materials and Structures Lifetime Achievement Award."

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook