Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gremlin

Oct 27, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #26 of 30 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Re: How did you start out climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My friend had climbed a few times and had his own stuff, and he wanted to climb one summer and needed a belayer. So he said "Hey, come to summersville with me to belay me and I'll buy you lunch." I don't let people buy me stuff, but I went anyway for lack of anything better to do, and climbed in my tennis shoes and an old ass harness of his dads with no padding and the ever popular crotch loops instead of leg loops.

I didn't drop him to his death, had a blast on the half of a route I managed to do that day, and bought a harness and pair of shoes off of ebay that night when I got home. 2 years later, weekends on the rock are all I look forward to, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

sirdrinksalot

Oct 27, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #27 of 30 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my son was born three months premature so he was in a neo-natal intensive care unit in nearby(40 miles) Evansville Indiana. One evening when i had to leave him alone so he could rest, I was at a loss for something to do. I called my mother and she told me to go to Vertical Excape. There i found a great group of people, everyone was very friendly and supportive and always ready to shout "hell yeah, get it boy" I started tagging along to So.Ill and the Red, and the rest is history.Jonathan is now two and a half years old and the chillenest little sh!thead you ever met.

cgailey

Oct 27, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #28 of 30 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When my parents separated, my mom started to date a climber (this is the mid 80's by the way). He owned an old and busted cavalier with thousands in climbing gear filling the trunk. I spent the entire duration of their "relationship" being dragged out to Index, Leavenworth, and Smith where I immediately fell in love with climbing (as much as an 8 year old can). I don't know if it was the climbing or the guy selling the carefree gum in the campground for like $.10 a pack that attracted me to the sport more, but I vividly remember watching Patrick Edlinger crimp his way to the top of Scarface and thinking, "KILLER!!". Thankfully I got his autograph later that trip at Redpoint; that signed poster hung in my room for years with the neon tights screaming "get out and climb you lazy turd!" at me. Well, it took many years, but climbing once again took hold of me...maybe selling my mom's old Sportiva edlinger shoes and harness on E-bay that reminded me how much I loved the camaraderie that seemed to fill that campground on any given weekend and the frustration I felt as a kid trying to scrape my way up some climb, whose name and grade meant nothing to me, with a guy I hardly knew yelling "use your feet!" up at me.

All I know is that I count myself lucky because I got such an early exposure to climbing...albeit shorter than I would have liked.

mgr

Oct 29, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #29 of 30 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first tiem I ever went rock climbing was on some ratty gym wall with my scout troop. I hated it and said that I would never do it again. Then for some reason i wanted to get into it. I think it was from reading a book. I don't know, but anyway, here I am. :D

blouderk2

Oct 29, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #30 of 30 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My best friend in highschool asked me if i wanted to go climbing. I said sure and we headed out to an indoor gym. We top roped some stuff and bouldered a bit and ive been hooked ever since

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook