Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What does it take to operate a guide service these days?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

12volt_man

Nov 14, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #1 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

What does it take to operate a guide service these days?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not too many years ago just about anyone it seems could call themselves a guide. I'm curious what is now required (certifications, insurance, etc) by Fed, state and or local agencies to instruct or operate a guide /tour business in what is publicly perceived as an extreme recreation. Any input is appreciated. 8^)

mdude

Nov 14, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #2 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Re: What does it take to operate a guide service these days? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing required, just hang a sign out.

MD

cintune

Nov 14, 2005, 1:41 AM
Post #3 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.amga.com/

jimdavis

Nov 14, 2005, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't have to be certified to guide, except in a few places where the AMGA holds concessionary rights....like J-Tree. Whether that's right or wrong is a topic for a later date.

The USMGA is another organization, though not as popular.

You better have a lot of liability insurance if your thinking about doing this though.

Cheers,
Jim

jason_martin

Nov 14, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #5 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every different land manager has different requirements. Some -- like Joshua Tree -- require a certain level of guide training. Some require a certain amount of first aid training. Almost all parks and recreation areas require between a five hundred thousand and a million dollar liablity insuarance policy.

Work for a guide service for awhile and you'll learn all about this as well as a whole lot more...

Jason

joshy8200

Nov 14, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #6 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We expect formal training and testing of Doctors, Pilots and other professionals responsible for our safety. Shouldn’t we expect the same from Climbing Guides?

Did you know that In North Carolina and across the USA roughly 80% of climbing instructors and guides have not taken any evaluation exam and do not hold climbing instructor certifications. You would not dream of taking your pet to an unlicensed vet so why would you let an unlicensed person take you or your child out rock climbing?!

So what can you do? Whether you decide to climb with us or another guide service be sure to ask these questions before parting with your money and heading out on the rock:

Will my guide be certified by the American Mountain Guides Association? Are they employees of your company or subcontractors?

Does your Guide Service hold liability insurance? Do you hold $1million or more 'per occurrence' of liability insurance?

Does your Guide Service have a guiding permit to guide in the area that we are going too?

Does your Guide Service hold Accreditation from the AMGA or any governing body?

If the Guide Service answers 'no' or 'I don't know' to any of the above it would be a prudent idea to keep searching for a guide service! You are well within your rights to request the 'deck page' (the main informational page) of a guide service's liability insurance and permit to guide as well as any certifications they hold. Be VERY skeptical of any guide service that is unwilling or unable to produce these documents!

Info from:
http://www.foxmountainguides.com/choosing_a_guide.htm

arrow

Nov 14, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #7 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AMGA is a relative newcomer to the industry. There are plenty of guides that were guiding long before AMGA was conceived who don't feel the need to go get certification. Not being certified does not and should not automatically discredit a guide. I think it helps these days however.
A guide should want to have insurance and legal access to the area where he takes his clients. State or federally owned lands may or may not require certain general liability limits as well as licensing.

joshy8200

Nov 14, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #8 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
AMGA is a relative newcomer to the industry. There are plenty of guides that were guiding long before AMGA was conceived who don't feel the need to go get certification. Not being certified does not and should not automatically discredit a guide. I think it helps these days however.
A guide should want to have insurance and legal access to the area where he takes his clients. State or federally owned lands may or may not require certain general liability limits as well as licensing.

Before physicians had to be licensed there were undoubtably lots of hacks practicing 'pseudo-medicinal' techniques that didn't feel like they needed to become certified.

But as it says on the website:
"Will my guide be certified by the American Mountain Guides Association? Are they employees of your company or subcontractors?

Does your Guide Service hold liability insurance? Do you hold $1million or more 'per occurrence' of liability insurance?

Does your Guide Service have a guiding permit to guide in the area that we are going too?

Does your Guide Service hold Accreditation from the AMGA or any governing body?

So while a guiding service may not be AMGA certified...it is logical to ask WHAT CERTIFICATIONS and from FROM WHAT GOVERNING BODY did it receive it. Just to see if the guide says...well 'blah, blah blah I've guided this many years...I have this kind of record'

Still...to answer what does it take to operate a guide service these days...I'd say " GET AMGA CERTIFICATIONS!"

mdude

Nov 14, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #9 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AMGA has been around for 20 years.

MD

rossgoddard

Nov 14, 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #10 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive said this before, and ill say it again. AMGA certification doesn't always indicate safe and quality service.
I will provide an example using Jack Roberts, a noted alpinist and a guide I have hired to climb ice routes out of my league in Colorado.
He doesn't have AMGA certs, nor does he intend on getting them yet he is the best guide I have ever had the pleasure of following.
AMGA certs are expensive. They take lots of time to complete.
Jack could easily pass any exams that the AMGA would give. HE is likely to be more qualified and thorough then examiners.
Why should he spend upwards of 10,000 dollars and invest a month of his time to fulfill requirements for IFMGA certification?
I have also seen AMGA certified folks running around on Willey's slide (50 degree ice in NH) making the most dangerous situation I have ever seen.
I try and judge guide like I would any other human being, for the skills they posses, the experience they have, their ability to communicate and instruct, and their sense of humor. I try and not draw conclusions based upon diplomas and paperwork.

anykineclimb

Nov 14, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #11 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I try and judge guide like I would any other human being, for the skills they posses, the experience they have, their ability to communicate and instruct, and their sense of humor. I try and not draw conclusions based upon diplomas and paperwork.

I understand where you're coming from but how do you evaluate a guides skill and experience without potentially risking your life? Sure, they couls hand me their climbing resume but that could be embelished or outright FAKE.
At least with AMGA (or other) paperwork it shows they have SOME sort of compentency.

The questions posted by joshy are a good way to determine a "good" guide. cert or not. Unfortunately, I don't think people are that thorough about seeking out a quality guide.

jimdavis

Nov 14, 2005, 5:59 AM
Post #12 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ive said this before, and ill say it again. AMGA certification doesn't always indicate safe and quality service.
I will provide an example using Jack Roberts, a noted alpinist and a guide I have hired to climb ice routes out of my league in Colorado.
He doesn't have AMGA certs, nor does he intend on getting them yet he is the best guide I have ever had the pleasure of following.
AMGA certs are expensive. They take lots of time to complete.
Jack could easily pass any exams that the AMGA would give. HE is likely to be more qualified and thorough then examiners.
Why should he spend upwards of 10,000 dollars and invest a month of his time to fulfill requirements for IFMGA certification?
I have also seen AMGA certified folks running around on Willey's slide (50 degree ice in NH) making the most dangerous situation I have ever seen.

You make a number of valid points, but to totally discredit the AMGA and the credibility of their certifications is a little much.

I have no doubt, that there are numerous guides out there who are fantastic at what they do, and are not certified. However, I belive these people to be in the minority. You can site numerous famous climbers that are not AMGA, but who are impressive guides. These people tend to have a reputation, and public opinion and their legacy gives them substantial credibility. Forcing people like this to go out and spend money on certification may not be the best course of action, your right.

However I think that most people that do fit into that catagory are interested enough in their professional development and quailty of guiding that do they do seek outside formal training.

One guy I can think of is Mark Synnott. One of the most estabilished modern climbers, in numerous diciplines, who no doubt is at the top of his game. He's taken AMGA courses to learn their perspective on guiding. He knows what has worked for him personally and professionally, but he's intested enough in learning another perspective to go out and take the courses.

I've climbed with Mark before he took his course, and after...and felt just as safe both time. But I don't doubt that Mark's approach to things are a little different after taking that AMGA course.

Getting that certification gives you a leg to stand on in court, it gives you the approval of one of the only certification granting organizations in climbing. It helps you with marketing, it helps to keep you current on tests and techniques, it gives you voting rights to shape where the AMGA goes, and it gives you feedback from other accomplished guides and climbers. For all these reasons, participating in courses and exams in a great thing to do.

Is the AMGA the only thing that matters in terms of the quality of a guide? No. I know of a few AMGA certified guides who I don't trust much. These people lack experience or common sense, and it shows.
Certification does give us an idea of the bare minimum of knowledge a guide possesses though, and that's a good thing for others to know.

To me, a guides reputation is probably more important than their certifications...but if I was a father letting my family go out with some guide who I didn't know of...you can bet I'd want them to be certified.

Sorry to be long winded, but considering that I'm probably going to do the AMGA thing in a few years, I know plenty of guides that are AMGA, and I've guided/ instructed climbing myself, for a bit...this is something I've spent a lot of time thinking about.

Cheers,
Jim

jason_martin

Nov 14, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #13 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The evaluation by jimdavis of the previous posts was great. I would just like to add a short addendum to that.

It is not uncommon for a person who is climbing with a guide to have tunnel vision. An experienced climber who hires a guide, hires a guide because he has a difficult objective. An inexperienced climber doesn't have the ability to evaluate anything beyond the guide's personality. As a result, in both of these cases, the client gets a bit of tunnel vision.

The reason I bring up the tunnel vision is because a person who hires a guide often does not see or notice all the things a guide is doing to keep them safe. Everything from the approach to the climb to the descent is managed for safety. AMGA guides have been taught specifically how to manage each of these things from a guide perspective. The guide perspective is different from the climber perspective. The guide is constantly looking for ways to keep the client out of harms way...

The issue at hand is that those guides who have not gone through specific training of how to deal with clients in dangerous circumstances may NOT be taking care of their clients in these circumstances. The client may not realize that he or she is not being taken care of. As such the client often falls back on an evaluation of the guide's personality.

There are some old school guides out there who have little to no training that exude confidence. They've been doing this for years so why shouldn't they? At the same time, they often don't know what they don't know. It is utterly impossible for a client who hires a guide to evaluate what a guide doesn't know. As such the only way to look at a guide's ability is via AMGA or equivalent training.

Jason

fredbob

Nov 14, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #14 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are some old school guides out there who have little to no training that exude confidence. They've been doing this for years so why shouldn't they? At the same time, they often don't know what they don't know.

This is a gross generalization and thus untrue. I think the AMGA is a fine organization and given the popularity of climbing and increase in demand for instruction and guiding a very necessary one. With that said, the climbers who design and give courses are not omniscient nor necessarily more knowledgeable or experienced than other climbers.

In reply to:
It is utterly impossible for a client who hires a guide to evaluate what a guide doesn't know. As such the only way to look at a guide's ability is via AMGA or equivalent training.

In most cases, a client is absolutely unable to properly evaluate a guide's knowledge. It is largely part and parcel to the client-guide relationship. But, that does not mean that the 'only" way to look at a guide's ability is via AMGA or equivalent training. I will agree that for many clients this may be the most practical means of trying to evaluate a guide.

slobmonster

Nov 14, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #15 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my AMGA training, the overarching message is basically the following:

In reply to:
Treat you client as a liability, an accident waiting to happen, and not capable of any judgement or independent thought.

It is unfortunately true that some clients must be treated this way. But they are hardly the majority, and I really find it discouraging that a guide would (or could) work for years with this kind of attitude.

The majority of my clients, including those with tunnel vision, have been extremely malleable. The attitude espoused above (Joshy's post) tacitly requires that they unchangeable, incapable of being educated, and basically stupid people. This is simply not the case. Many potential clients will (and should be, in my opinion) be discouraged from hiring a self-important wanker who bandies about his certification like a panacea.

dingus

Nov 14, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #16 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my AMGA training, the overarching message is basically the following:

In reply to:
Treat you client as a liability, an accident waiting to happen, and not capable of any judgement or independent thought.

It is unfortunately true that some clients must be treated this way. But they are hardly the majority, and I really find it discouraging that a guide would (or could) work for years with this kind of attitude.

The majority of my clients, including those with tunnel vision, have been extremely malleable. The attitude espoused above (Joshy's post) tacitly requires that they unchangeable, incapable of being educated, and basically stupid people. This is simply not the case. Many potential clients will (and should be, in my opinion) be discouraged from hiring a self-important wanker who bandies about his certification like a panacea.

You wannabe guides and what not please take no offense to the following as it is not directed at you, personally or your profession:

It has been a major goal of my climbing career to never, under any circumstances, hire a guide. For ME, (I am not extrapolating any of this to any of you), hiring a guide says "I can't" in no uncertain terms.

Climbing, for me, isn't about ticking a list of routes (though I have done that). It isn't about sending THE LINE, whatever the line de jour may happen to be. It isn't about walking in the footsteps of giants either.

Its about what I can do, me. Its about what I can accomplish, learning my own skills, assuming my own risk and most importantly, by far really, is making my own judgements.

Surrendering that responsibility, of deciding for myself, and PAYING someone else to do it for me?

Not in this lifetime pallies! I don't understand climbers who hire guides to drag them up routes they couldn't do otherwise. I don' mean that as an insult, I mean I don't understand your motivations.

A guide is a replacement of many of the things I hold dear in climbing.

Responsibility.
Judgement.
Route finging.
Leadership.
Planning.

Not to say, btw, that I haven't been drug up many a climb by a much stronger partner. If I can't contribute 50% of the total work of a climb, across the board, I feel as though I wasn't up to the climb. I can't shake that feeling, no matter what. I wanna be an engine, not a caboose. It's just part of how I'm wired.

What I marvel at is that apparently some or even a lot of other climbers don't see it that way. Intellectually, I see their points. But at a gut level, I do not understand them or their motivations to climb.

Don't explain... it won't help.

DMT

arrow

Nov 14, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #17 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's bull sh*t dingus! And since you admit you've never hired a guide you really don't know what it's all about for people now do you. I hire guides sometimes just because I need a partner. Some guides I've hired should have paid me for making better judgement calls and for teaching them neat little tricks of the trade.

slobmonster

Nov 14, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #18 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not bullshit, just a traditional attitude that many don't necessarily share.

In reply to:
assuming my own risk and most importanty... making my own judgements.

This is exactly what many of my clients want to avoid.

guangzhou

Nov 14, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #19 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually slobmonster, it's not a very traditional attitude when you consider that climbing was originally done exclusively with guides.

As for AMGA, being certified by AMGA doesn't make you a better guide any more than having a driver’s license make you a better driver. With that said, AMGA does have some good information to teach and shouldn’t be slammed.

AMGA also need to realize that guides should have been grandfathered into their system. I love that people say AMGA is a good accreditation without ever looking into them all that well. They created a credential program and marketed it very well.

I ran a guide service for several years, initially I had planned on becoming a AMGA certified guide, but after guiding and being in the industry I decided not too. I have taken several of their classes and don't regret what I learned. More what they confirm I already knew really.

I still guide part time all over the world and no one has ever asked me about my certification. Even in Europe, where I have done some group trips, I get put on the list as a apprentice of a guide service and do what I want.

Most big guide service, and any guide service worth it's salt has it's own internal training program.

Liability insurance is the only thing that most government (State or Federal) require of a guide service.

Jtree doesn't require guides to be AMGA certified by the way.

dingus

Nov 14, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #20 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's bull sh*t dingus! And since you admit you've never hired a guide you really don't know what it's all about for people now do you.

What part of
In reply to:
(I am not extrapolating any of this to any of you)
did you fail to comprehend?

DMT

gunkiemike

Nov 14, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #21 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Sorry, but you get an F for your logic. Your example of an excellent guide who is not AMGA certified supports your assertion about as well as saying fish don't fly because snakes can't ride bicycles. Go find a few terrible AMGA guides and try again. (You may find there are far fewer of them than excellent non-AMGA guides)

As for the OP, guiding on public land in New York requires one to be state licensed in the relevant discipline(s). And the largest private landholdings that support rock climbing have their own requirements (insurance, guide service accreditation, first aid and CPR qualifications etc)

dingus

Nov 15, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #22 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's not s---, just a traditional attitude that many don't necessarily share.

In reply to:
assuming my own risk and most importanty... making my own judgements.

This is exactly what many of my clients want to avoid.

I hear you slobby. To each their own and I don't begrudge you a client or a living.

Whereas I would resent it, so much so it would ruin any potential ascent. I remember reading about an experienced US climber who went to the Continent on business and hired a guide to do the Matterhorn on a spare day.

The guide SHORT ROPED HIM up the standard descent route. Noting quite says 'your judgement is irrelevant' than being short roped by the guy you're paying to drag you up the punter's route.

I'm not sure what he bought. I bet he isn't either.

There's nothing wrong with guiding or their clients, nor their motivations, both nobel and base. I was simply explaining why some climbers wouldn't avail themselves of a guide... because the guide replaces part of the climbing game and for some of us, that part of the game is gold.

DMT

arrow

Nov 15, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #23 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
In reply to:
What part of Dingus wrote:
(I am not extrapolating any of this to any of you)
did you fail to comprehend?

I guess the drivel that followed this preface where you went on to infer that by hiring a guide one surrenders:
"Responsibility.Judgement.Route finging.Leadership.Planning."
That's shallow and false.

dingus

Nov 15, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #24 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess the drivel that followed this preface where you went on to infer that by hiring a guide one surrenders:
"Responsibility.Judgement.Route finging.Leadership.Planning."
That's shallow and false.

Yes yes, you said the guides paid you and all that.

Wonderful. Congratulations. Youda man.

I'm sure guides alike Slobby appreciate all the pointers they get from their experienced clients.

Oh yes.

DMT

jason_martin

Nov 15, 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #25 of 36 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The guide SHORT ROPED HIM up the standard descent route. Noting quite says 'your judgement is irrelevant' than being short roped by the guy you're paying to drag you up the punter's route.

I'm not sure what he bought. I bet he isn't either.

This probably wasn't the guide's fault. If the client wanted something more challenging he should have asked for something more challenging. If he did, and the guide still took him up the standard route then there was a problem...but my gut instinct is that he just signed up for a Matterhorn climb. The reason I say this is because most guide's are psyched when they have a "high end" client.

There are two other things we don't know about your example. The first is the combination of the weather and route conditions. Who knows what the mountain looked like. If the mountain was in terrible conditions, then the guide had to do what he could do under the circumstances.

Second, we don't know what the climber looked like. If the guide never had the opportunity to evaluate the climber's abilities and the climber had a little extra weight on him, seemed overly confident or cocky, the guide may have erred on the side of caution. Clients exagerate their skill level to guides all the time. We have no idea what the circumstances surrounding this situation were...

In reply to:
There's nothing wrong with guiding or their clients, nor their motivations, both nobel and base. I was simply explaining why some climbers wouldn't avail themselves of a guide... because the guide replaces part of the climbing game and for some of us, that part of the game is gold.

There are many ways to learn how to climb. Some join clubs others go out with friends, but the only sure way to know that the instruction you're getting is safe and "right" is to hire a well trained and experienced guide. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with these other avenues of learning, but when one is incapable of making difficult judgement calls for his or herself who should they depend on...their friend who learned to climb from a friend of a friend? Or from a guide whose only goal is to help the client achieve his or her goal.

High end climbers often come to guides to learn anything from aid climbing to rock rescue to ice climbing to whatever. These people are not throwing away their judgement, indeed they are improving their judgement and evaluation skills. They are going with someone who they know will teach them the right way to do things.

There are two types of guiding. The first is summit oriented and the second is education oriented. The summit oriented client is less inclined to want to learn the skills required to climb the mountain. As such, the objective becomes the most important part of the trip. Mountains like the Matterhorn generally draw a summit oriented crowd. This crowd is often displeased with the guide if they don't achieve their objective...

Education oriented guiding is where the guide is slowly training a client not to need a guide. Climbers of all skill levels hire guides for education.

I don't think it's right to say that you don't go with guides because it ruins the experience and then say that you're not knocking people who do go with guides. I say this because I don't think you're seeing all the shades of grey in guiding. Perhaps your arguement has some justification in summit oriented guiding, but it definately does not have any merrit when it comes to educational guiding.

Jason

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook