Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Mar 25, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

TAO-Yin and Yang
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

lostangel

Mar 25, 2002, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

TAO-Yin and Yang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The closest that I get to danger is not wearing a helmet.. I wont even boulder or climb alone! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE climbing, but even with being careful I have had some very close calls..
I have read alot about people dieing or getting really hurt because they had a freak accident, didn't ck their equ.,or they knew something was wrong but climbed anyway...
All of this makes me careful, I check me, check my partner then check me again... most of it is out of habit. There are people who STRONGLY disapporve of me climbing in the first place, they care for and love me.. and if something was to go wrong because of me being retarded, even if I just got hurt real bad... I couldnt put them through it, exp riskin the chance that I may never CLIMB risk is high enough in the first place.. SAFETY FIRST

miagi

Mar 25, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I do some stupid things. I usually climb alone on self belay or bouldering which isnt entirely safe but i keep along my own lines of safety. Im somewhat of a fool for trusting my gear 100%. For instance i self belay with just my petzl basic ascender. I have no prussik or backup unless i know something is wrong then ill tie a loop in the rope. Its risky but i do it anyways because if i do use prussiks it would have to be considered an aid climb because i would need to weight the rope, move the prussik up and get back on the rock because there is no way i can do it all with one hand.

Anything over 40-60 feet depending on what it is, i wont climb alone. I know my limits, I test them sometimes. So far what ive been doing has been right because ive not been injured but it doesnt mean i wont. I take care because its my life but you have to take risks sometime.

dustinap
Deleted

Mar 25, 2002, 4:53 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just as a note, if you self belay with a grigri, which you said you don't I know, you should NOT use a purssik or anything along those lines, it can cause the grigri to fail.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-03-24 20:54 ]

gomgechuq

Apr 18, 2002, 12:11 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tao is infinite and formless
it encompasses all variety seemlessly
there is no "this is tao"
there is no "this is not tao"

run away in fear when the "wise men" and "sages" come to give you advice.

Lao Chen

clam

Apr 18, 2002, 6:31 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao.

paintinhaler

Apr 26, 2002, 2:17 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

--gomgechuq-- That's what I was thinking

apollodorus

Apr 26, 2002, 2:42 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we need to not climb, as the water seeks the valley, but as the warm air seeks the summit at the early end of a fine warm day.

This is only my opinion, but if you ever bivvy at the base of the Yosemite Falls before doing the Arrow Direct, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The early night air, warmed by the hot rock wall, suddenly rises with a force and will that cannot be stopped. A strong vortex/tornado comes up, to let everyone in attendance know that there is NO WAY that air is staying down on the ground. It's going up, up, up. One of the best shows that Mother Nature can offer. Don't miss it.

Personally, I've met the Tao only twice, and that was free soloing. I won't do it again. It's too hard mentally. The fear of falling is enough to make you quiver and shake so that you would fall off a climb that you could flash blindfolded if you were on rope.
But, that's just the way I am.

johnhenry

Apr 26, 2002, 3:28 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lao Tsu was fed up with the way things were going in China. He had decided once and for all to pack it up and head into Himalaya. He took only a loaded down water-buffalo full of supplies. He was stopped at the border by an sharp guard who recognized him as a sage. The guard new that it would be impossible to stop such a wise man once his mind had been set. Instead, he begged him to write down his wisdom before he left.

In two days time and with less than 3000 characters he wrote the Tao Te Ching. The boarder guard allowed him to pass and Lao-tsu climbed into the Himalaya never to be seen again...

John A. Shultz
Department of Asian Religions
University of Hawaii

[ This Message was edited by: johnhenry on 2002-04-25 20:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johnhenry on 2002-04-25 20:31 ]

gomgechuq

Apr 26, 2002, 6:03 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Johnhenry,
are they even sure that Lao tsu was not a ficticious character?
What would you say was a more informative book, Lao Tsu's or the I Ching (book of changes) i left most of my books back in the states and the stuff in Korean is usually pretty difficult to read because it uses a really academic style way different for modern spoken korean. can you suggest any thing good i could order over the net?
Thanks for the informative post.
(ps do you think the taoist sages would be pretty much against bolting routes?)

passthepitonspete

Apr 27, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always push the limits.

I preferentially seek the more difficult path, and travel the road less travelled.

I climb walls solo because it is more difficult and dangerous, but the reward for success is also much higher.

My climbing experience comes much more from within than from without. The actual climbing is quite secondary to the experience.

Your whole world outlook will change after climbing a big wall solo for twelve days! Problems in life take on a truer perspective - when you fear for your life, you no longer care whether or not your bank account is healthy!

Yet I am still extremely cautious when I climb, and believe that I can manage my danger and keep it within "acceptable limits."

However, my idea of "acceptable limits" and yours may be completely different!

I only answered this post because I'm wearing a ying-yang earring at the moment.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook