RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

hammerhead

Jul 21, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 2 (991 views)
Shortcut

'cause I'm dumb.....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So we're out climbing at the local crag. I'm on a pretty easy sport climb, about a 5.7, that I've done at least 1/2 dozen times before. On top rope and leading. There is slab at the start about 7 feet tall and the first bolt is there. Then you climb up to a ledge about 1 foot wide and clip the second bolt. From there is kind of a scooped out shape that has a small roof about 8 feet up from the ledge. The third bolt is right before the small roof. So I get up and start to pull the roof and realize that I didn't clip the 3rd bolt!!! Dumbass!! I got a little sketched there to say the least. Luckily there is a huge hole there that I buried my hand into. So, I down climbed a bit. Got my head back together. Clipped the 3rd bolt, pulled the roof and continued up to the anchors. If I'd fell it would have been down to the ledge about 8-10 feet below. It probably wouldn't have killed me but it would have hurt like hell. A few broken bones for sure! Moral of the story? Don't become complacent, and remember to think!!! Regardless of how many times you've done the route!!

And yes, I was wearing my helmet.

Partner taualum23

Jul 21, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #2 of 2 (991 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'cause I'm dumb..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks hammerhead. A good reminder that even sport climbing easy routes, one momentary lapse of concentration towards the task at hand can have some pretty serious consequences.
Not a bad thing for everyone to be reminded of.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook