Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tavs

Feb 9, 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #26 of 34 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
petsfed wrote:
shoo wrote:
Ummmm, no. . . Perhaps you have something other than the Gamma MX? The Gamma MX does not have a laminate. It is Polartec Powershield and Schoeller Dynamic GNS. It is absurdly breathable.

According to Malden Mills, its actually a membrane.

About Power Shield

From my experience, that means it won't breath enough. That means you can't move too fast, even if the windchill is below zero, for fear of wetting out the garment from sweat. That's a real problem for me.

Interesting. I don't think this "membrane" is what is normally considered a membrane for soft-shell garments (i.e. waterproof, windproof fabric layer), though I may be wrong. I generally think of soft-shells as being from the weather-proof and weather-resistant category, with the former being heavier, stiffer, and less breathable. This particular jacket clearly belongs in the latter category.

In any case, I really can't imagine a shell layer being significantly more breathable than what I'm using right now, but I have not tried anything else in its pricing range, so YMMV.

I'll second this. I've had my (women's) Gamma MX hoody for 4 (I think) seasons now and I've had no problems with breathability. And it's been put through the ringer this year especially--I've don't think I've had an ice day yet that was below 30 degrees this winter. I haven't had durability issues either--in 4 years of winter ice and year-round alpine rock and ice I've put one very tiny nick in the sleeve near my wrist. That's it; no real signs of wear otherwise. And it responds very well to Nik's softshell wash to up the water-resistance (tested again this past weekend in just-above freezing temps with off-and-on precip ranging from snow to grapple to sleet).

scuclimber

Feb 16, 2010, 5:17 AM
Post #27 of 34 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pets,

I dunno how fleecy the lining is, but the Epsilon SV might fit your needs better than the Gamma MX.

Powershield is a laminate, BTW. I've owned Powershield stuff since around 2001 (before just about everybody was using it, including, I believe, Arcteryx), and it's great stuff, but it's not as breathable as people posting in this thread make it out to be. If it was, Malden wouldn't be releasing a new, more breathable version of it for next season.

I love my Gamma MX Hoody, but it definitely heats up more than I'd like on a lot of ski tours.

(This post was edited by scuclimber on Feb 17, 2010, 7:46 AM)

petsfed

Feb 16, 2010, 3:30 PM
Post #28 of 34 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And that's exactly my concern. Hell, the ascensionist sometimes got to be too much when I really got to moving in the tracks. I do not want something less breathable than that.

The Epsilon, unfortunately, is made of the same kind of stuff as my Beyond Fleece jacket, so it'd address a hole that's already filled, rather than the one I'm trying to plug.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Feb 16, 2010, 3:34 PM)

zealotnoob

Feb 16, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #29 of 34 (2085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in agreement with Shoo. The Gamma MX is very breathable. On colder days I wear it over a wind shirt since it is so breathable.

jpetsch123

Feb 16, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #30 of 34 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/soft_shell/baltoro_alpine---155/

I've heard some extremely good things about Rab lately.

Durin

Feb 17, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #31 of 34 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey petsfed, I bought that Bergan's microlight jacket.

Hit the ice in Ouray pretty hard last weekend.

My only complaint so far:

the neck gaiter fits around the neck nicely, but it doesn't go over the chin very well. I'd need some sort of balaclava/neck gaiter once it gets cold/windy enough that my chin starts going numb.

petsfed

Feb 17, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #32 of 34 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] Softshells of 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
Hey petsfed, I bought that Bergan's microlight jacket.

Hit the ice in Ouray pretty hard last weekend.

My only complaint so far:

the neck gaiter fits around the neck nicely, but it doesn't go over the chin very well. I'd need some sort of balaclava/neck gaiter once it gets cold/windy enough that my chin starts going numb.

Looks good. Dunno if I'll be able to make it to Neptunes before they're sold out though. I don't dare risk buying online a large if I really need a medium. I'm only in Highlands Ranch (for now), but that's kind of a long way to go.

unrooted

Feb 17, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #33 of 34 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest the Mammut Laser also, it is schoeller.

Marmot made the jacket I have in a hooded version, it is the cheapest softshell they make, but is actually breathable, simple, durable and looks good.

petsfed

Mar 10, 2010, 1:57 AM
Post #34 of 34 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, the Ascensionist lives on, just not in an easily purchased online fashion. I got the replacement in the post today.

It remains my go-to jacket, since I don't like to be out for forecast rain.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook