Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Jul 15, 2001, 3:34 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1811 views)
Shortcut

CAMARADERIE
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

kriso9tails

Jul 15, 2001, 4:37 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1813 views)
Shortcut

CAMARADERIE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on where you're climbing. I find that many climbers are nice superficially, but are quite cliquey in reality. Of course there are also alot of people who just like the sport and will associate freely with all climbers or even enthusiastic onlookers, yet still culture gaps create barriers in what should be the climbing community. Case and point: I know Toronto has a gay climbing association, which would be all good and fine if it weren't the perfect oppertunity for segregation in the sport based on factors that have absolutely nothing to do with the activity.

Also, there is sometimes friction between sport, trad, boulderers, and top ropers when you try to discuss that all of the afore mentioned styles are all equally part of the sport.

I think a forum like this is good because you're not seeing an eighteen year-old white kid from Ontario and are therefore judging what I say and not what I am.

Sometimes it feels like there is a sense of community and comaraderie, but then you end up back in your own little cliques from the vast world outside of climbing and you realize that of all the things that you are, comrades is not one of them.

Partner russman

Jul 15, 2001, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tend to agree with the previous post. Everyone likes to think that we are all part of the greater whole (ROCKCLIMBING ENTHUSIASTS). Then reality sets in...people who live around/on the rocks think of the "city folks" as wannabees. Older climbers think of the teens as young punks cluttering the rock. The list can go on. I myself have gone to the rocks not 15 min. from my house and said..."Damn, all the Seattle Guys are here climbing on MY rock." I grew up close to it...hunted around it (birds) seen it all my live...why are THEY here. That is when I go find a cliff noone else has climbed and really enjoy things...but once again...only take maybe a few friends and never talk about it...the circle of cliques

The Russman

kriso9tails

Jul 15, 2001, 11:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If humanity is common decency then there's the problem. It's hard to be decent when people lose it or file law suits at the drop of a hat, so people tend to keep their heads low and try to avoid contact. It's hard for me to accept because I'll talk to anyone at the crag and help them out if I can (at least I think I do), but I guess when you see someone save another's life by correcting their fatal anchors and then be yelled at by the faulty anchor setter, it's a turn off to lending a helping hand.

Like I said, almost all climbers are very nice superficially, but when you want anything past hello and good day they quickly distance themselves.

kriso9tails

Jul 15, 2001, 11:46 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See, you look at the new commers with angst (too literal, I know), but this is what causes problems. I think it's human nature to segregate our selves based on prejudice (in the most liberal application of the word), and true humanity to unify with understanding, but that's too much effort for most.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook