skiclimb

Sep 18, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #102 of 159 (25367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow..This blows.

What can i say but to echo so many sentiments already expressed.

I'll miss him tooUnsure

geogoddess

Sep 18, 2008, 5:23 AM
Post #103 of 159 (25340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
I, like most people on this site, never met sty, but I loved his posts. I had always hoped to run into him at the crag, or get the chance to climb with him, but alas that will never happen.

I am deeply sorry for your loss, and the worlds loss of an amazing person.

I was wondering where the memorial party is going to be held as I would like to attend.

I PM'd that to ya!

Partner j_ung

Sep 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #104 of 159 (25286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't posted much yet. Not sure why. Daryn's death hit me a little harder than I would have expected. How does that happen? I barely knew him. Hell, I didn't even know his name was Daryn until he was already gone. That this is a huge loss for all his friends and family is obvious. But it's also a big loss for this weird little community and, I guess, in some respect, for me too.

To Daryn's friends and family: All I ever really hope for after my life is ended is that I am remembered fondly and that those I love continue to live their lives to the fullest. It seems Daryn scored the first with ease. The rest is yours to fulfill.

thomasribiere

Sep 18, 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #105 of 159 (25283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm late. I just thought about connecting today, far away from my usual computer.
I'm saddened by these news. Stinky was an important contributor here, a true, a colorful rccomer. I never met him but online, and his presence was important for the life and the balance of the forums.

My condolences to his family and close friends.

Salut l'ami.

erinesmith

Sep 18, 2008, 2:35 PM
Post #106 of 159 (25255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
(No offense, Erin, but you guys haven't been together for a while, right?)

Daryn and i have been divorced for a few years.
we were still best friends. and spoke several times a week, even through the divorce that was very hard on both of us.
anyone that is close to daryn knows the love we had for each other.
i have respected all his choices in life and we have supported each other very much.
He has been my best friend through everything.
Since i was 19 and he was 20 we probably had only gone once of not speaking for about 20 days.
I know his death has affected many, many, many people, new & old relationship, new & old friendships and new and old Romances.
I told Daryn regularly how all i ever wished for him is to be happy, truly happy. that's part of love; letting one find there balance and new adventures.

peace to all.

please come join Darlene and I and all his wonderful friends tonight to celebrate his amazing life!!!!!
please come up and say hi.

BIG HUGS to EVERYONE.

geogoddess

Sep 18, 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #107 of 159 (25233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing I have learned from this is:

This whole experience has re-defined my sense of what a community is. Sure, we all communicate together, publicly and privately; we share, argue, tease, flirt, etc.

But the ability to grieve together, regardlesss of the fact that most of us have never met; for you guys to read of his death and sit down on the couch in shock and in tears, even though you knew him thru words on a page; for you to so totally "get" his personality, and love him for it, has irrefutably cemented in my heart that a community is any forum that provides contact and support for its members. And like any community, there is room for a whole host of personalities and characters. Daryn's was so unique and powerful, and he left no stone unturned in his quest to experience all life could give him.

I miss him alot, today.

He was a wonderful, sticky, stinker.

geogoddess

Sep 18, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #108 of 159 (25213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erinesmith] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meh,

fitzontherocks

Sep 18, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #109 of 159 (25176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erinesmith wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

we were still best friends. and spoke several times a week, even through the divorce that was very hard on both of us.
i have respected all his choices in life and we have supported each other very much.
Since i was 19 and he was 20 we probably had only gone once of not speaking for about 20 days.
I know his death has affected many, many, many people, new & old relationship, new & old friendships and new and old Romances.
I told Daryn regularly how all i ever wished for him is to be happy, truly happy. that's part of love; letting one find there balance and new adventures.

peace to all.

please come join Darlene and I and all his wonderful friends tonight to celebrate his amazing life!!!!!

BIG HUGS to EVERYONE.

Erin, thanks for your generous response. I know of a only a few couples who have divorced yet remained friends; I always really admired those who could do it. Of my six sisters, there have been 11 marriages and divorces; they were all bitter. I wish I could join you as you celebrate his life. Please accept my warmest wishes for peace and happiness.

curt

Sep 19, 2008, 3:37 AM
Post #110 of 159 (25096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
erinesmith wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

peace to all.

BIG HUGS to EVERYONE.

Erin, thanks for your generous response. I know of a only a few couples who have divorced yet remained friends; I always really admired those who could do it. Of my six sisters, there have been 11 marriages and divorces; they were all bitter. I wish I could join you as you celebrate his life. Please accept my warmest wishes for peace and happiness.

I agree. The idea that you and he could divorce and yet remain close friend speaks volumes about your character and his.

Curt

chris

Sep 19, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #111 of 159 (25065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My condelences to his friends and family, with sadness in our loss.

sungam

Sep 19, 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #112 of 159 (25043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think erin will like this thread http://www.rockclimbing.com/...2;page=unread#unread
the "Stinky's memorial drinking thread".

knudenoggin

Sep 20, 2008, 2:36 AM
Post #113 of 159 (24935 views)
Shortcut

Re: RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the Taco, "Brian in SLC" lamented
In reply to:
Heavy sigh. You don't really get any warning of this type of thing when you log on to the 'net.
and I concur in that, and in many of the other sentiments expressed above, here.
Sty brought insight, wit, & personality to this on-line community.

It was the 2nd such whammy for me, for earlier in another e-world I'd received notice
that a long-time cycling friend had just died of a heart attack while cycling (age: 52).
It was only a month or so ago that he'd given the good news of expecting
to return from AZ to our east coast area, too.

RIP

Unsure

superbumbly

Sep 21, 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #114 of 159 (24806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SADLY MISSED.

the_climber

Sep 22, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #115 of 159 (24675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was not the type of news I was wanting to here when I got back in town and had reliable internet again. Frown Sty (Daryn) and I chatted a lot on here over the years. Got to the point it was, like others, on a daily in many threads every damn day while I should have been working more and posting less. I never met him in person, but kindred spirits abound here it seems. I was always telling him that whenever he was able to get up to Canada again I would meet him in the Bugaboos and bring a bottle of fine single malt scotch... sadly that day won't come to pass now.

Sty buddy, I'll still bring that bottle of scotch to the Bugs for us. And hopefully next summer I'll hold a glass high with a few others who know you from here, toasting to your memory.

Rest peacefully my friend.

kane_schutzman

Sep 22, 2008, 2:03 PM
Post #116 of 159 (24609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't know daryn, but he shared plenty of his wisdom with me. Thankyou for that my friend. We will be climbing in the heavens one day.

clipinmt

Sep 24, 2008, 1:05 AM
Post #117 of 159 (24461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Erin, Love you,
Finally getting around to posting up. I remember meeting this long haired Grizzly Adams guy one day over in the BD retail shop. We started talking about, of all things ice!! Who new that we would be climbing together for all these years. God what I wouldn't give for another day out. I will never forget all the good times that I was lucky enough to share with him. He is such a beautiful person. Keep in touch

Daryn, Bro, Thanks for the friendship, great times and laughs. Give a tug on the rope every now and then eh and leave some ice for me! I am going to miss you.
Matt

oldandintheway

Sep 27, 2008, 3:58 AM
Post #118 of 159 (23639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clipinmt] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

R.I.P. Stinky

As for the rest of us, let's try to be good humans.

pmyche

Sep 30, 2008, 4:02 AM
Post #119 of 159 (23339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's to a guy with spirit to spare.

Our condolence to Daryn's family and friends. Peace to you.

builttospill

Sep 30, 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #120 of 159 (23263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted this on utahclimbers.com as well, but seeing as he posted here more and I met him through this site, it seems appropriate to post it here too.

A bit after the fact, but I didn't see this thread until just now.

Daryn and I did the first 2-3 pitches of Stairway last year after work one day. There was a blinding snowstorm, but he was completely comfortable leading into it. We shouldn't have even hiked up the gully below the climb it was so wind-loaded, but we didn't really care enough to stop. I took a fall following because my hands were so numb, and my rope got stuck descending. We tied it off, and one of Daryn's friends got it the next day and he returned it to me. When we got down I had a message from the county sheriff asking us to check in when we got down, because they thought we were in trouble (headlights near Bridal Veil Falls at night in a snowstorm elicit concern I suppose).

I never saw him again after that (nor before) but we talked about ice a fair amount. In retrospect, I find it telling that the one time I went climbing with him it was such an epic, unexpected adventure, and one that none of my other partners would have considered going on. I'm almost glad that that is my sole memory of him, because it is such a good one.

geogoddess

Oct 1, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #121 of 159 (23192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh boy, I remember that outing, glad you posted it. Never heard the part about the Sheriff asking you to check in, tho Crazy. glad you guys got out together.

geogoddess

Oct 12, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #122 of 159 (22024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We miss you Sty, 4 wks ago yesterday; one month tomorrow. You are not forgotten. Its snowing today and I know you'd be full-on stoked about the weather. Yesterday we did trail work w/ SLCA up in Little Cottonwood, in flurries of snow, melancholy and exciting. Looking up canyon towards the Icicle and across at the Scruffy Bands, I couldn't help but think of you, I missed you a ton, and I admit I cried alot. Not a day or hour goes by that you aren't in my thoughts. Love you always, Be in peace, -darlene

Partner wormly81

Oct 15, 2008, 9:59 AM
Post #123 of 159 (21905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sty shared this over on Mountain Project.

the_climber

Oct 17, 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #124 of 159 (21810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sty buddy, I got in day one of my 2008/2009 season today. Thought about ya while I was up there. Wish we could have roped up for some sick Canadian Rockies Ice, but I guess that's life.

There was one pic of you that came to mind on the way home... that one of you soloing that made the front page. Fitting, as I was soloing thin early season ice today. Climb up a storm where-ever you are man.... just save some of the FA's for whenever it is the rest of us get there.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Oct 17, 2008, 12:53 AM)

geogoddess

Oct 20, 2008, 5:37 AM
Post #125 of 159 (21737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it looks like Sty doesn't have to solo those FA's and WI 10's anymore. He's got somebody up there to trade off leads with, now.

You two have a good time up there.

Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook