First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

climberboy193838

Nov 30, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #76 of 95 (11488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maracas] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This has hit home to me as well. I met jimmy a few years back and he truly motivated me to climb harder, at the time i was at the ripe young age of 10 and climbing, at the time, was something i never thought of doing for as long as i have now, but i feel that jimmy ensured that for me. I only hope that his daughter will one day, understand the magnitude of her father's outreach and how much he affected the climbing community.

mario

Nov 30, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #77 of 95 (11452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jilldworkin] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check out www.texasclimbers.com

climbin_chick

Nov 30, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #78 of 95 (11431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doris,
I will also make you a CD. I told Jill and Derinda I would make them one as well. These are all sorts of picutes not just climbing. I also have a book that I was going to send Rylie for Christmas. I gave her a stuffed gorilla a couple of years back and was going to send her a gorilla book this year. I will bring it when we come for the services and you can give it to her at a later date. My prayers continue to be with you all. Debi
405-473-2898
climbinchick@hotmail.com

(This post was edited by climbin_chick on Nov 30, 2006, 1:41 PM)

dfranklin

Nov 30, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #79 of 95 (11387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbin_chick] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you please make me a CD as well? I am Jimmy and Derinda's other sister. I would really appreciate it!! Thank you so much.

In Him,

Dedrea

meatball

Nov 30, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #80 of 95 (11377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dfranklin] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The story about Jimmy handing over TCU's to a complete stranger reminds me of one of my first interactions with Jimmy. I occasionally bumped into him at Exposure and one day we are climbing near each other in the bouldering cave. He asks me if I'm getting outdoors much, and I shared with him my excitement for an upcoming trip to climb Epinephrine in Red Rocks. It was to be my first trad follow and my first multi-pitch climb. (Jimmy could tell I was in over my head)

He took one look at my uncomfortable MadRock Mugens that i sported to the gym and said "Do you have any other shoes?" I said no. Next time I saw Jimmy, he brought me a broken in pair of his Sportiva Mythos and proceeded to tell me everything I needed to know about climbing Epi.

I'm not sure he even know my name at this point, but sure was anxious to make a stranger's trip more enjoyable.

Condolences and prayers to the family.

crankmarklar

Nov 30, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #81 of 95 (11369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meatball] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Jimmy around 1991 at Quartz Mountain then ran into him again in the refuge on occasion spanned fifteen years. In the early 90’s we would see each other at Quartz Mountain quite often. Jimmy and I put a little route at the refuge named Tea Cup Aręte. I remember Jimmy being so excited about this climb, matter of fact he was always excited about climbing and that never ever changed.

Over the years we stayed in touch usually on a happen chance basis. Jimmy was either heading to the Yosemite Valley as I was getting back or vice versa. It seemed we would be climbing the same El Cap routes at different times so it was always fun to compare notes and see what we thought about this route or that one.

I’ve been climbing for about as long as Jimmy had with that said there are but a few individuals that I know that had as much drive and passion for climbing as did Jimmy.
He was always driven to climb or talk about climbing and he was a big part of our climbing community. You know it’s really crazy that when something as tragic as Jimmy’s death happens you step back and look at the big picture and that big picture is that we are all human with our own thoughts and motivations that drive us and lead us to do what it is we do.
Life is so fragile and precious. Jimmy’s passing has affected me and my wife forever as it has for everyone that knew Jimmy.

I’ll miss running into you at the crag brother you lived the life, you ate it up and I will never forget you.

~Tony Mayse

mgclimber

Nov 30, 2006, 7:57 PM
Post #82 of 95 (11319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please visit the link below for dates and times of Jimmy's Memorial and Funeral Services.

http://www.friendsofforester.com/memorial.html

reno

Dec 2, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #83 of 95 (11148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to extend my sympathies to the friends, family, and partners of Jimmy. I hope they can find some solace in knowing he rests in peace and is keeping an eye on the rest of us.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." -L. Binyon

JCWilks

Dec 2, 2006, 9:14 PM
Post #84 of 95 (11080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I first spoke to Jimmy after the first meeting for public comments when the WMWR access problem arose. Far more than anyone, he was adamant that we all set aside our differences and rivalries to work together on this difficult issue. He was a tireless champion of climbing advocacy, always stoked, challenging and encouraging you to excel. He put most of us to shame with his prowess but never made us feel the lesser for it. He was simply one of The Thousand to me. It was a privilege to know you Jimmy, rest in peace . My sincerest condolence to all his loved ones.

".....the majesty of Being. The hero transcends life with its' peculiar blind spot and for a moment rises to a glimpse of the source. He beholds the face of the father, understands-and the two are atoned." -- Joseph Campbell, 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces'

jilldworkin

Dec 3, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #85 of 95 (11031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please allow me to use this forum to address Exposure. I attempted to send a private email earlier and it was returned. To abbreviate the note, I just want to say thanks for the event scheduled today - I know that Jimmy Ray would have been pleased. As much as I want to be with everyone that knew and cared for him, I cannot attend. I wonder if perhaps, someone could tape some of it for me?

I have been to the gym with Jimmy. I've watched him having fun with Rylie and Jacob - I even climbed a little! I know that he spent countless hours there - I am sure you will hear his spirit whisper today - Thanks.

Doris Dworkin - Jimmy's Mom

jilldworkin

Dec 4, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #86 of 95 (10983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mario] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to have David (?) C. from Centeral Texas Climbing Committee call me, please.

Thanks,
Doris 817-551-1163

davetx99

Dec 4, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #87 of 95 (10967 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the good fortune of climbing with Jimmy on many weekend and day trips over the last few years, and very frequently in the climbing gym. Unlike most climbers these days, Jimmy climbed much harder outdoors on real rock than in the gym. I think being on natural stone provided energy and motivation that could not be matched by a climbing gym. Every time out climbing with Jimmy was a learning experience. He showed me some amazing climbing spots at the Wichitas and encouraged me to attempt to lead some routes that I might not have tried otherwise. Jimmy always knew exactly what route to recommend next, something a little harder and a little scarier, but within my abilities. And it was always fun trying to follow Jimmy on his projects, even though they were over my head. If I ever needed beta on a route or on gear or even needed to borrow a few pieces of gear, Jimmy was always there with the answer. Anytime I got away on a big climbing trip, Jimmy always wanted to hear about it when I returned. In almost every case, Jimmy had already been there and remembered the details of every pitch and every descent.

I helped Jimmy work on a few new routes. This means that I held the rope and belayed while Jimmy did all of the real work. Jimmy loved every aspect of climbing, but I believe establishing new routes was Jimmy’s favorite part of climbing. A strong traditional climbing ethic drove Jimmy to always put up routes from the ground up. I’ve never seen him more excited than when he’s trying to put in bolts while hanging on a hook on questionable quality limestone. Jimmy enjoyed the process of establishing a new route more than getting the first ascent. On many occasions, Jimmy would finish bolting a line and then offer me the first chance at redpointing the route. Then we would take turns working the route until one of us sent it.

The only thing that Jimmy loved more than climbing was his family. On the drive to the crags discussions often centered on Rylie. And at the crags, Jimmy often shared memories of climbing with his brother, Joel. It was easy to tell that Joel and Jimmy were the perfect climbing team. Jimmy had one of Joel’s old quickdraws. Anytime he was working on a hard route he would make it a point to use Joel’s quickdraw. Many of Jimmy’s routes have names that include the word “Bros”, because when Jimmy used that quickdraw he knew Joel was there with him.

I will always treasure the times that I spent with Jimmy. He will be missed by all those who had the privilege of spending time with him, and he will not be forgotten. Any time I’m working on a hard route and I get pumped and a little scared, the voice in my mind telling me “Come on buddy, you got it!” will be Jimmy’s.

David Reasoner

bigfatrock

Dec 4, 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #88 of 95 (10966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems I am a little late on hearing this news. I did not know who Jimmy was until this weekend. As it turns out he established most of the routes at the crag I climb at (Paradise on the Brazos in Gaham Texas). We ran into the rancher on the property and he was telling us he just got back from attending Jimmy's funeral in Dallas and told us about the accident.

Also wanted to say my prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

spacemonkey77

Dec 6, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #89 of 95 (10889 views)
Shortcut

Friends of Forester Website Photo Gallery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let all of you who knew Jimmy know that I have just uploaded a photogallery to the Friends Of Forester Website.

http://www.friendsofforester.com

nomadguide

Dec 19, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #90 of 95 (10779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aja] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where would I even begin? That is the question I have asked myself time and again since Tambri called us back here in Durango on the day they found Jimmy's body. For lack of a better description it felt like I had been hit by a car. Jimmy was at our house just months ago the night before him and Marcus set off to the Black Canyon for a little climbing. Marcus and his family, my family and Jimmy all sat here in our living room and just talked about life and climbing. As usual Jimmy and I eventually got into our own little conversations about our kids. Our daughters were born months apart and he is one of the few people that I could talk to about my love for climbing and my love for my family and who would truly understand what I meant. That night before heading off to sleep next door at Marcus' house Jimmy walked back into the house and said goodbye to me, my wife and our kids. He handed me a check and when I asked what it was for he said "those bolts you gave me a while back." That was over a year ago. I tried to refuse and he looked me right in the eye and told me that I had kids and I damned well better take it. I couldn't care less about the money. He rememberd me giving him something that long ago. He had a heart of gold. He knelt down by the door and gave my daughter five. That would be the last time I would ever see Jimmy.
Jimmy and I met at his brothers funeral. Joel and I had become very close. Joel took me under his wing and took me climbing outside for the first time. I worked for the hospital where Joel was being treated with his final bout with cancer and I saw first hand the look in his eye when his son sat on his bed. It was a look that only a dad could understand. It is that same look that Jimmy had every time he talked about Riley. At the funeral Marcus pointed out who Jimmy was to me and I walked up and introduced myself and handed him the poem that is below. He gave it to Joel's wife Mary and she then read it to everyone at the funeral. Jimmy came up later and gave me a hug and thanked me.
We grew closer over the years and while we shared a rope fairly often it was our common bond as "proud goofy ass fathers" that I will remember most. Jimmy loved his daughter more than anything in this world. I know that she was always on his mind every move he made on every adventure he had. I know it may take her years to (if ever) to understand how her daddy felt about climbing as well as how privelaged he felt to be a dad but I hope that Riley will someday read all that has been written about her dad and know that he was the kind of person that us dads hope our girls grow up and find for themselves. Jimmy was so much to so many people and I would only be adding to the huge numbers by sharing stories about how good of a climber and person he was. I just want his daughter to know that his favorite thing in life was her. As the years went on we talked less about climbing and more about our kids. That is how I will remember Jimmy. Our time on the rock together was just another way for us to have bragging contests about our kids.
The world lost a great climber, leader, man and most of all a great father when Jimmy fell. Many people lost a great friend. Andrea, to you I would say keep on keepin on. I was guiding you and your co worker the day you met Jimmy. Oh do I remember that. You two were like peas and carrots from that day forward. I know how much he cared about you and you him. I know you are hurting but you are a strong woman. I have seen so much pain since his passing and have been reluctant to write anything since it happened. That is largely because I don't know what to say or how to express what I feel but I read what you wrote (Andrea) and it made me think of the day we were out at POB and how Jimmy made us all laugh. He just knew how to take the edge off of any situation.
One last thing I will say is that if I have learned one thing from this experience and that is that I know I can't wait until tomorrow to tell those close to me that I love them and care about them. The loss of a friend is so hard and it affects us all in different ways. Take the lessons that we learned from Jimmy and treat one another better than we think we should. We all grieve in our own way. We all miss Jimmy and probably always will.
Marcus and I went ice climbing this weekend and in the ten plus years I have known Marcus I have never seen him climb so gracefully as he did that da(and those of you that know Marcus know that is saying a lot). Marcus has had such a hard time and he continues to struggle. Jimmy was family to him in every sense of the word. Through it all Marcus has tried to keep his head up and take care of his family at the same time. I am proud to have him as a friend and happy that he had the strength to go and bring Jimmy home. Jimmy lives in all of us and seeing Marcus flow over the stone and ice just reminded me of why we all do it. It takes us to that place where only those who do what we do can understand. I truly believe that Jimmy and Joel are up there somewhere roped up and climbing . I miss them both now but I am sure they are putting up some stuff for us to jump on when we get there.
So long Jimmy,
The Meyer family.

-----------------------------------

Do not stand by my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet bird encircled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I did not die.

fivetenguy

Dec 22, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #91 of 95 (10692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nomadguide] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still struggling to put into words the greatness that Jimmy brought to our community...he was a mentor to us all. I hope we can all keep his passion alive within our hearts and use it for guidance to embrace the way we spend our dash

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on his tombstone, from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came his date of birth and spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time that he spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved him, know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own; the cars...the house...the cash,
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left, that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real,
And always try to understand the way other people feel

And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect, and more often wear a smile.
Remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent your dash?

Author: Unknown

I love you bro and I am so proud of the way you spent your dash, giving it your all in everything you did. So long “Buddy” - I’ll do my best to “keep my eye on the prize”

nomadguide

Jan 8, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #92 of 95 (10055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been over a year. It still isn't easy. I see a bit of Jimmy everyday. Marcus brought over a quickdraw of Joel's and a nut of Jimmy's shortly after the funeral. It hangs in our little cabin over the wood burning stove. When does the pain subside? It is good to see Marcus back in the saddle.
Marcus - glad to have you back old friend.
Jim

nomadguide

Jan 8, 2008, 8:29 PM
Post #93 of 95 (10041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nomadguide] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are ever in Durango. Go climb one for Jimmy.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Colorado/South_West...orado/Lemon_Reservoir/West_Wall/Finding_Forester_90810.html

reg

Jan 8, 2008, 8:40 PM
Post #94 of 95 (10019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gweaver] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gweaver wrote:
I am Jimmy Ray's sister from Fort Worth and we are struggling to get the details. Please reply if anyone knows anything! We are all truly devastated and saddened!Frown[/quote]

my wish for you to soon find peace in your heart and in the hearts of all who were struck by his death. i believe he would not want you or anyone to suffer a second longer.

nomadguide

Jan 8, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #95 of 95 (10004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I have peace having had the opportunity to know Jimmy. I just miss him and his brother. I look up at the gear Marcus gave me every day. It was a gift to know both of them. We all appreciate your kind words. Climb like there is no tomorrow.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook