Aug 16, 2011, 8:51 AM
Post #151 of 159 (10408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Darkforrest] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Darkforrest wrote:
I still think of Sty all the time
Yeah, me too. Good to see you again, Darkforst. I hope all is going well.

Partner wormly81

Sep 27, 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #152 of 159 (10237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was in Europe celebrating mountain camaraderie on the 3 year anniversary of your passing Sty. Just trying to make the most of my time. Thanks for sharing the Mountaineers Ten Commandments.

feetfirst

Oct 19, 2011, 4:02 AM
Post #153 of 159 (10034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erinesmith] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sad stuff, your next moment is never guaranteed... I try to alway live my life with no regrets, I know Sty did the same, RIP

the_climber

Oct 19, 2011, 4:37 AM
Post #154 of 159 (10027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Darkforrest wrote:

Crazy how people still cross your mind. I was on a road trip for a bit and I have to say Daryn crossed my mind more than a few times on the trip. It may have been the dehydration, or the Scotch in the summit... but I got the warm fuzzys when I raised the Summit Flask in salute at the top of a couple climbs.

Now that I think about it... the suck rope... 3 times in a row while trying to rap off of one of the Spires in the needles... in the middle of a thunderstorm...

.... I'm sure that it was either a practical joke, or he was laughing his ass off watching. Or both.

Raise a glass of Scotch! To Sty!

rockie

Jan 3, 2012, 2:31 AM
Post #155 of 159 (9711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Darkforrest] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Darkforrest wrote:

So do I, whenever I come on here. I was to climb with him at some point in Utah after he offered to be my guide. Now it's not to be. Shite happens. My own circumstances changed too a year or so later.

rockie

Jan 3, 2012, 2:47 AM
Post #156 of 159 (9707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
sungam wrote:
Darkforrest wrote:

Crazy how people still cross your mind. I was on a road trip for a bit and I have to say Daryn crossed my mind more than a few times on the trip. It may have been the dehydration, or the Scotch in the summit... but I got the warm fuzzys when I raised the Summit Flask in salute at the top of a couple climbs.

Now that I think about it... the suck rope... 3 times in a row while trying to rap off of one of the Spires in the needles... in the middle of a thunderstorm...

.... I'm sure that it was either a practical joke, or he was laughing his ass off watching. Or both.

Raise a glass of Scotch! To Sty!

I remember my last conversation with him on here commonly, he was in Idaho working crappy hours and sleeping in his van, forgot something or other (sleeping bag I think) plus enough food and hoped his mate would remember to bring him some in the morning. He wasn't getting enough climbing in at that time, and as I knew he'd had the odd epileptic fits being found by his room mate as he told me once followed by the odd check up in hospital as a result, it did concern me his being alone at those times. He also said he couldn't come over the border to Canada as he'd had some issue before that meant he couldn't for a period of time, hence how I came to the decision to climb with him at some point in Utah, plus I really wanted to go there and check it out.

He will always be missed, and was a special person for sure especially so with regard to the level climbing he did (Ice), the amount of people he interacted with on here, and how well liked he was,bow he stopped/intercepted any nastiness from others on another in his own humorous way, how he could raise your spirit when feeling down and make you feel better about everything again (as he did a year or so earlier after I had a horrible nasty bully experience at work) that I got investigated, and then decided to resign from that job or I'd have decked the culprit that set me up. I remember wanting to just walk early on from it all early on as I had enough, and he gave me the courage to sit there and say my piece at the meeting I was to go to with my Union, which paid off. He was unique for sure.

How, not bow (damn keyboard)

(This post was edited by rockie on Jan 3, 2012, 2:49 AM)

Partner wormly81

Jan 10, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #157 of 159 (8999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its been a tough year, losing several good friends in the sky and mountains. Thanks again for sharing the 10 commandments Sty.

rockie

Apr 16, 2013, 4:45 AM
Post #158 of 159 (8760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's sad.

We will always miss Sty, a unique amazing climber who always great to everyone on here.

rockie

Feb 2, 2024, 5:25 AM
Post #159 of 159 (354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] RIP stymingersfink aka:daryn smith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Over 10 years ago, that's awful. Time flies too fast.

But still think off sty

Especially when oddly his Facebook page popped up on mine, we weren't connected on there, only here he brought rc.com to life. Now its not lively enough.

Seeing his pics on his Facebook, same username he has here, was sad and refsmiliqrising to his stairway to heaven ice climbing pics.

Stairway to heaven.. how ironic.

He died far too young. Family history of heart disease maybe? Not his seizures like I had thought was the case then.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook