First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wanderlustmd

Aug 11, 2009, 9:43 PM
Post #26 of 38 (5215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Missed him at Seneca, but I remember all the locals talking about what a nice guy he was. Another bad loss.

Condolences to his family.

Unsure

Partner brent_e

Aug 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #27 of 38 (5207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
RIP Craig.

Truely a freak accident. It is a sad year for the greats of our community.

My thoughts to his friend and family

Condolences to his family and those that knew him.

I'm sorry to hear this news.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 11, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #28 of 38 (5194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sad news indeed. Warm wishes to his loved ones.

Josh

rockreaver

Aug 12, 2009, 1:39 AM
Post #29 of 38 (5180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chouca] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chouca wrote:
I am stunned. Craig was...He was appreciated and admired by too many too count. RIP.

In terms of kind things to say about a person. !10!
In terms of acknowledging how a person lived with respect and admiration. !10!
In terms of making others regret they didn't know a person. !10!

I think you have just said things I could only hope to hear where said about me on the day of my passing. Very cool.

i_h8_choss

Aug 12, 2009, 2:12 AM
Post #30 of 38 (5166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RIP Craig and best wishes to family, friends, Willie, and all that, like me, will be inspired, touched, and have better knowledge about climbing. I love your photos Craig!

http://www.craigluebben.com/photography/

(This post was edited by i_h8_choss on Aug 12, 2009, 2:13 AM)

timd

Aug 12, 2009, 8:08 AM
Post #31 of 38 (5140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Craig and his indepth wisdom of our sport will be truly missed. I am truly sorry to hear of this loss. RIP our friend.

mr.tastycakes

Aug 12, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #32 of 38 (5115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RIP

damn, a lot of great climbers have passed this year. condolences to craig's family and friends.

dave76

Aug 16, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #33 of 38 (5029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to his family friends and all of the climbing community.

I discovered his books only recently and I only started reading one yesterday.
I opened up the website today by mere chance after a few weeks and couldn't believe the sad news...

May he rest in peace.

Davide

gimmeslack

Aug 17, 2009, 1:10 PM
Post #34 of 38 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dave76] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.nococlimbing.org/get-involved

...in case anyone missed this - note Memorial Fund (accepts Paypal)...

(This post was edited by gimmeslack on Aug 17, 2009, 7:08 PM)

Partner robdotcalm

Aug 24, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #35 of 38 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gimmeslack] Craig Luebben Dies 08/09/2009 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was about 30 years ago that I met Craig when he was a freshman at Colorado State University and I was on the faculty. His enthusiasm and drive were evident. He did not own a car and often pedaled from Fort Collins to Boulder (~45 miles) to climb and on occasion he would bicycle to Vedauwoo (~ 75 miles) to climb. It took about 4 years for his climbing to really improve (at that time 5.12 was world class). I can still see him thrashing to get off the ground on a 10c handcrack, which in a couple of years became an easy solo warm-up for him. This same determination was evident in his development of the Bigbro—an easy idea to conceive but taking dedication, knowledge and great effort to bring it to a successful fruition. It was his senior project as a mechanical engineering student. It’s one of the very few such projects to produce a truly useful object that has been and will be continued to be used by climbers for decades. His numerous instructional books on climbing and his teaching and guiding have helped thousands of climbers to become better and safer at the sport.

I talked to Craig a couple of weeks ago at Vedauwoo as he was teaching a class. It’s with irony that I note we talked about a book he was writing on how not to get killed climbing. (I would place "don't ice climb" high on the list. He's the third friend of mine killed in the last few years who was ice climbing and there have been many more before that.)

I've known Craig for 30 years and have seen him develop from an enthusiastic and callow youth, into a splendid climber, superb teacher, inventor of climbing gear, accomplished author, and a loving and dedicated husband and father. His death leaves a dampening on that part of my spirit that loves climbing. Craig, of all people, to perish in a climbing accident!

My sincere condolences to Sylvia and Giulia. The memory of Craig will be an inspiration for those of us fortunate enough to have known him.

Rob Kelman

scsmit10

Aug 24, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #36 of 38 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I met Luebben was at my home crag Red River Gorge in 2006. Arriving at a popular spot we were pleased that only one other party was presently nearby but we would not have to wait for our route of choice.
While we lunched on the large ledge system above the first pitch, suddenly all hell broke loose. We overheard rocks, trees, dirt, and sand being pulverized - the penultimate bane of climbers everywhere was upon us - a rockslide avalanche. We had indeed feared the worst. When we began screaming toward our neighbors to ascertain if everyone was OK, Craig came and apologetically introduced himself. Unbeknownst to us he had publicly organized the closure of Fortress Wall that day in order to safely rid 20 tons of loose sandstone above Calypso II. Although I did not "get the memo" of the cliff closure which he secured, he "surprisingly" allowed my brother and I to continue climbing out of harm's way.
We forgave our lack of warning immediately as we accepted our initial shock as a rare lesson in experience. Craig himself was surprised how soon he had made the effort necessary to detach the overhanging flake.
Immense the irony of his passing: Luebben worked hard with both climbing coalitions and industry to make climbing a safer sport for everyone. May his career as a credit to society's image at large of climbing as a SAFE activity remain unphased by circumstance; consider his a true hero's fate; the legacy of his many contributions to the sport will never be forgotten... and may we each thank his family by striving to follow his example by respecting the responsibility of our endeavors.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook