Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

darien.liew

Jun 22, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #1 of 27 (9767 views)
Shortcut

Verso against Reverso3
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hi, which one is better and more user friendly towards a begineer such as myself the Verso or the Reverso 3 .

cleethree

Jun 22, 2010, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 27 (9753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darien.liew] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

shoo

Jun 22, 2010, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 27 (9752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Short answer: they are pretty much exactly the same, except the reverso 3 is more expensive and has features you probably won't be using for a long time, if ever.

acorneau

Jun 22, 2010, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 27 (9752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[Edit]

Never mind, they already said it.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jun 22, 2010, 2:36 PM)

mrtristan

Jun 28, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #5 of 27 (9559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Short answer: they are pretty much exactly the same, except the reverso 3 is more expensive and has features you probably won't be using for a long time, if ever.

I totally disagree. I use the features on my Reverso 3 all the time. I love it, and if you ever do multi pitch stuff, you'll fall in love with it.

http://www.dailyclimbingtips.com/.../ode-to-the-reverso/

(This post was edited by mrtristan on Jun 28, 2010, 4:57 PM)

shoo

Jun 28, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #6 of 27 (9528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

I totally disagree. I use the features on my Reverso 3 all the time. I love it, and if you ever do multi pitch stuff, you'll fall in love with it.

Sorry, but no. In my experience, the vast majority of people new to the sport of climbing will never climb multi-pitch or need to belay from above.

By the time that they develop the skills and desire to climb things requiring a belay from above, if ever, they will almost certainly have had need to purchase a second belay device for one reason or another. I don't think I know a single person who climbs multi-pitch who owns only one belay device.

Furthermore, even if the OP will eventually need to belay from above, there are plenty of ways to accomplish this without having to use an auto-blocking device. It is often useful, but rarely (if ever) necessary.

In summary:
really unlikely * really unlikely * unnecessary = extremely unlikely that you will actually get any value out of the additional money you spent

Edited cuz i suk at inglish

(This post was edited by shoo on Jun 28, 2010, 6:23 PM)

mrtristan

Jun 28, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 27 (9513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

Sorry, but no. In my experience, the vast majority of people new to the sport of climbing will never climb multi-pitch or need to belay from above.

By the time that they develop the skills and desire to climb things requiring a belay from above, if ever, they will almost certainly have had need to purchase a second belay device for one reason or another. I don't think I know a single person who climbs multi-pitch who owns only one belay device.

Furthermore, even if the OP will eventually need to belay from above, there are plenty of ways to accomplish this without having to use an auto-blocking device. It is often useful, but rarely (if ever) necessary.

In summary:
really unlikely * really unlikely * unnecessary = extremely unlikely that you will actually get any value out of the additional money you spent

Again, I completely disagree. I think that it's entirely likely that a beginner today could could be doing multi pitch within a year or two (I did. I know a lot of other people who did), a time period that I don't believe warrants a new belay device just from wear and tear. If all you ever do is single pitch sport climbing, then sure, you won't need the extra features of the Reverso 3. But why limit yourself?

Let's be honest here: A $10 difference between the Verso and the Reverso 3 isn't that big of a deal!

And sure, there are other ways to belay from above without the Reverso 3. And there are other ways to belay than with a tube-style device... But you belay WITH a tube-style device because it makes belaying easier, and you belay from above with a device like the Reverso 3 because it makes belaying from above easier.

I've used both the Verso and the Reverso 3. I'd get the Reverso 3.

In summary: Very likely that if you DO get into multi pitch climbing, you'll be kicking yourself for not buying the Reverso 3 from the beginning :) It is also very likely that you'll be happy with the extra money you spent.

redlude97

Jun 28, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #8 of 27 (9507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

In summary:

Again, I completely disagree. I think that it's entirely likely that a beginner today could could be doing multi pitch within a year or two
(I did. I know a lot of other people who did), a time period that I don't believe warrants a new belay device just from wear and tear. If all you ever do is single pitch sport climbing, then sure, you won't need the extra features of the Reverso 3. But why limit yourself?

Let's be honest here: A $10 difference between the Verso and the Reverso 3 isn't that big of a deal!

And sure, there are other ways to belay from above without the Reverso 3. And there are other ways to belay than with a tube-style device... But you belay WITH a tube-style device because it makes belaying easier, and you belay from above with a device like the Reverso 3 because it makes belaying from above easier.

In summary: Very likely that if you DO get into multi pitch climbing, you'll be kicking yourself for not buying the Reverso 3 from the beginning :) It is also very likely that you'll be happy with the extra money you spent.
You've got to be kidding to think that a new climber will be leading multipitch within a year or two to the extent that a plaquette device is necessary for bringing up a second(s).

mrtristan

Jun 28, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #9 of 27 (9502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

In summary:

Again, I completely disagree. I think that it's entirely likely that a beginner today could could be doing multi pitch within a year or two
(I did. I know a lot of other people who did), a time period that I don't believe warrants a new belay device just from wear and tear. If all you ever do is single pitch sport climbing, then sure, you won't need the extra features of the Reverso 3. But why limit yourself?

You've got to be kidding to think that a new climber will be leading multipitch within a year or two to the extent that a plaquette device is necessary for bringing up a second(s).

Nope. That's why I said it. Obviously not every n00b gym climber today will be leading multipitch routes one year from now, but there's no reason it can't happen, and it does happen.

mrtristan

Jun 28, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #10 of 27 (9501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and I'll add that if the OP is questioning whether to get a Reverso 3 in the first place, it seems like he's probably aspiring to do multi pitch routes.

If not, then yeah... You don't need it!

kane_schutzman

Jun 28, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #11 of 27 (9455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seriously, yall are fucking retarded arguing over this. Someone can easily lead multipitch after 1 year if they have the desire. I did it. I know others that have to. So this is really dependent on the person and how addicted they are. To the OP. Get the reverso 3. If you see yourself ever doing multipitch, you will be extremely happy to have it. I bought my seconds up using a normal atc when I first started MP, so it can be done, but the autoblock is so worth it.

redlude97

Jun 28, 2010, 8:13 PM
Post #12 of 27 (9449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

In summary:

Nope. That's why I said it. Obviously not every n00b gym climber today will be leading multipitch routes one year from now, but there's no reason it can't happen, and it does happen.
There is a difference between it happening, and it likely happening, as you originally asserted. Based on the little info provided, I would have sided on it not.

patto

Jun 29, 2010, 2:32 AM
Post #13 of 27 (9393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first lead was the first pitch of a 100m multipitch.

clc

Jun 29, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #14 of 27 (9331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya whats wrong with mutipitch? of course get the reverso3. It has all the function of the Verso + more.
Its like a 2WD vs 4WD truck. The 4WD can go all the places the 2WD and beyond

Partner j_ung

Jun 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #15 of 27 (9287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Show of hands... how many Reverso-3 users have actually practiced releasing it when fully loaded?

patto

Jun 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #16 of 27 (9283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*Raises hand*

Well it wasn't practice and it wasn't the reverso3 it was the original reverso without the release tab to make it easier.

I still don't get why people make a big deal of it. If you are competent then its fine. If you're not competent then why are you climbing?

acorneau

Jun 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #17 of 27 (9278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Show of hands... how many Reverso-3 users have actually practiced releasing it when fully loaded?

I was teaching/practicing multi-pitch techniques with my girl friend last year in the gym. She was using my old Reverso (V.1) and she had a really hard time releasing my weight with the sling/biner system. I bought an R3 and she had no problem releasing the weight with the new biner-as-handle system. She ended up liking it so much that she bought one for herself.

kachoong

Jun 29, 2010, 1:24 PM
Post #18 of 27 (9264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

In summary:

I agree! I think though that multi-pitch in a year is well within reach of a new climber, but perhaps not so much someone who practises exclusively sport.

I find it interesting though how soooo many beginners learn to belay using auto-blocks and grigri's but fail to experience the long haul of learning from basics and working up from there.... I did it, so should everyone else! Wink Seriously though, a good long mentorship through multi-pitch techniques using the rope in anchors and tube-style devices (heck, even figure 8's and munters) isn't so detrimental to a beginner climber. Many of us, who have been climbing a while, made the same steps in progress... why are beginners these days in such a hurry to buy and use the speciality stuff without learning the basics?

I_do

Jun 29, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #19 of 27 (9251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
shoo wrote:

In summary:

I agree! I think though that multi-pitch in a year is well within reach of a new climber, but perhaps not so much someone who practises exclusively sport.

I find it interesting though how soooo many beginners learn to belay using auto-blocks and grigri's but fail to experience the long haul of learning from basics and working up from there.... I did it, so should everyone else! Wink Seriously though, a good long mentorship through multi-pitch techniques using the rope in anchors and tube-style devices (heck, even figure 8's and munters) isn't so detrimental to a beginner climber. Many of us, who have been climbing a while, made the same steps in progress... why are beginners these days in such a hurry to buy and use the speciality stuff without learning the basics?

Well because I now own 4 belay devices only one of which I use. I'll give some away to some noobs in the uni cimbing club next semester.

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 2:20 PM
Post #20 of 27 (9244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

clc wrote:
ya whats wrong with mutipitch? of course get the reverso3. It has all the function of the Verso + more.
This is the same mentality that led to influx of soccer moms driving glorified 4x4 mall cruisers that never leave a paved road

blueeyedclimber

Jun 29, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #21 of 27 (9213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
clc wrote:
This is the same mentality that led to influx of soccer moms driving glorified 4x4 mall cruisers that never leave a paved road

However, Reverso3's do not pollute the environment or act like they own the road Wink

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 5:16 PM
Post #22 of 27 (9207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
clc wrote:

However, Reverso3's do not pollute the environment or act like they own the road Wink
No, just to climbers who think they are guides who use them on single pitch routes to lower climbers http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

blueeyedclimber

Jun 29, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #23 of 27 (9204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
clc wrote:

No, just to climbers who think they are guides who use them on single pitch routes to lower climbers http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Not the gear's fault.

chrisJoosse

Jun 29, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #24 of 27 (9168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darien.liew wrote:
Hi, which one is better and more user friendly towards a begineer such as myself the Verso or the Reverso 3 .

In terms of user-friendliness, they are basically the same. In terms of price, the verso is $22 and the Reverso3 is $30.
The answer of which is 'better' depends on whether you're willing to trade the difference in price now for the difference in functionality later. And the answer to that question probably pivots around the question of whether or not you'll have use for an auto-blocking device ever. Consider that you don't know yet if you'll want what those extra 8 bucks will get you.

I'm new enough that I can still remember when I had no intention of ever doing multi-pitch. Now the majority of climbing I do is that, and the only belay device I carry is my ATC Guide (which has the same features as the Reverso3, but costs a couple dollars less) which I select because it has this autoblocking mode- it really is very nice. My experience suggests to me that regardless of your current intentions, your horizons are likely to expand if you keep on climbing for any amount of time.

My experience also tells me that if you've got gear with added capabilities, you'll find occasion to use it. Ever need to ascend a double rope? In autoblock mode, your reverso 3 on your harness plus a sliding prussik makes a fine setup for that. There's other ways to skin the same cat, of course- what we're talking about is convenience more than necessity.

Of course, I'm a bit of a gearhead and I like to geek out on stuff like this. For me it's a no-brainer to get added capabilities when the price gap is this narrow. Your priorities might be different tho- and either way you'll be fine. But seriously, get the Reverso3. Smile

chrisJoosse

Jun 30, 2010, 1:43 AM
Post #25 of 27 (9084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Verso against Reverso3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"kachoong wrote:

I came to climbing via kayaking, and among kayakers a dozen years ago we were having a very similar conversation about what new paddlers should learn, in what order, and why.

At the time, kayaking was progressing by leaps and bounds, technology-wise. Boat designs, materials, and engineering were making for better, safer gear (compared to back when you had to make your own boat out of fiberglass, and the resulting designs were not easy to paddle or particularly safe). People developed new techniques to drive these new boats.
The result was that these 'new school' paddlers were doing things that didn't follow the received wisdom accumulated from those who came before- they were progressing to insanely hard whitewater, stuff that was impossible before, and without the requisite order of skills learned or years in level! Disaster was sure to follow.
Well, it turned out that we as a community had a lot to learn about what really was the best way to learn and progress.

Your question (roughly, 'why doesn't everybody progress the way I did?') seems to assume that there is a right way to progress?

With respect, why would we ever want noobs not to take advantage of new gear or techniques? I have nothing but respect for those who came before, but we now have access to gear and technology they didn't. Is it really inappropriate (since we have the option) to choose to stand on the shoulders of giants, rather than following in their footsteps?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook