Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS (make that 2.5 years of TOE HOLE!)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

anarkhos

Apr 21, 2011, 5:55 AM
Post #1 of 20 (16998 views)
Shortcut

DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS (make that 2.5 years of TOE HOLE!)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This damned thing first appeared when I was in Zion Oct-Nov as a pain between my ring and pinky toe. Later in Indian Creek I discovered a really deep blister there and popped it. For months foot jamming was an excruciating ordeal. It seemed to abide when I got sick and couldn't climb for a while, but now that I'm back in Zion it has re-emerged—more powerful than ever!

I have tried various salves. I have tried keeping the area open with all manner of ad-hc devices or just stuffing it with clean cotton. I have tried clotrimazole. I have tried ripping out any dead tissue I can get a hold of. I have tried alcohol (both ethyl and isopropyl), honey, and even massaging it. I'm stuck with a swollen area below the 'pit' which never fully goes away. My skin is really thick there, too. All I can do is tape the toes together when climbing and try to deal with the pain.

I've had blisters there before and they usually just go away when I aerate the area. I've been wearing my chacos and put a pebble or something in between my toes whenever I'm chilling to no avail. I'm starting to think I need a regimen of lamasil pills or something as drastic.

(This post was edited by anarkhos on Mar 26, 2013, 1:21 PM)

enigma

Apr 22, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #2 of 20 (16948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anarkhos wrote:
This damned thing first appeared when I was in Zion Oct-Nov as a pain between my ring and pinky toe. Later in Indian Creek I discovered a really deep blister there and popped it. For months foot jamming was an excruciating ordeal. It seemed to abide when I got sick and couldn't climb for a while, but now that I'm back in Zion it has re-emerged—more powerful than ever!

I have tried various salves. I have tried keeping the area open with all manner of ad-hc devices or just stuffing it with clean cotton. I have tried clotrimazole. I have tried ripping out any dead tissue I can get a hold of. I have tried alcohol (both ethyl and isopropyl), honey, and even massaging it. I'm stuck with a swollen area below the 'pit' which never fully goes away. My skin is really thick there, too. All I can do is tape the toes together when climbing and try to deal with the pain.

I've had blisters there before and they usually just go away when I aerate the area. I've been wearing my chacos and put a pebble or something in between my toes whenever I'm chilling to no avail. I'm starting to think I need a regimen of lamasil pills or something as drastic.

Go to a clinic.

FJP

May 4, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #3 of 20 (16847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't sound like the right position, but look into Digital mucous cysts (DMCs) also. They can seem like blisters. Good luck.

lemon_boy

May 4, 2011, 8:02 PM
Post #4 of 20 (16826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FJP] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is a common problem with folks who do a lot of crack climbing. you probably have a corn in that area, due to your toes crushing and grinding together.

first, you need to clean all the dead skin out of there, using an exacto knife and some tweezers. also, you might have althletes' foot or other fungus or bacterial infections in there. for me, tea tree oil has worked a lot better than any other presecription creams at getting rid of the fungus/BI.

when you go climbing, take 2 small pieces of thick moleskin (each one approx 1/2" by 1/2") and stick them between your toes, such that the fuzzy parts of the moleskin are facing each other. this will help shim your toes apart. you will probably always have to do this for the rest of your crack climbing career, otherwise the corn will reappear.

marc801

May 4, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #5 of 20 (16808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:
first, you need to clean all the dead skin out of there, using an exacto knife and some tweezers.
Please have a professional medical provider do this. You may be able to do self-surgery successfully, but the potential cost is high if you screw it up.

lemon_boy wrote:
also, you might have althletes' foot or other fungus or bacterial infections in there. for me, tea tree oil has worked a lot better than any other presecription creams at getting rid of the fungus/BI.
This is a very valid concern. Again, if you can't get it to clear up after a reasonable amount of time (4 weeks is typical for a surface fungus infection), see a doctor. My mom ignored a deep fungal infection in her toes and is now fighting off a potential gangrene infection (C. difficile) and has to move from her independent apartment to assisted living after she gets out of rehab.

anarkhos

May 4, 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #6 of 20 (16787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a prescription for "deflucan" yesterday. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

lemon_boy

May 6, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #7 of 20 (16726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i'll agree w/ mar801, although i usually just use a pair of tweezers to kind of pull the dead skin out.

i would also recommend going to a good podiatrist who has a lot of sports related podiatry experience. at first i went to a dermatalogist (who is actually a pretty well known climber) and he diagnosed the problem as being a bacterial infection and prescribed some creams and oral medication. neither of these cleared it up. he was going to surgically remove it, but at the last minute i went to get a 2nd opinion from a podiatrist who has a lot of experience in this area. she immediately knew what the problems was, and since i have been using her method i have been able to clear it up and prevent it from re-occurring.

lemon_boy

May 6, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #8 of 20 (16725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i forgot to mention that i originally went to my PCP and she thought it was athlete's foot and prescribed the diflucan. the deflucan didn't really do anything for me, but hopefully you will have better results.

(This post was edited by lemon_boy on May 6, 2011, 3:22 PM)

anarkhos

Feb 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #9 of 20 (15762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so I think I finally got this thing licked.

The deflucan only made me sick to my stomach for a week. No result. I tried a dozen other expensive creams including prescription to no avail. I tried making custom splints to keep everything aerated. I tried homeopathic shit, too. Vinegar, urine, various oils, you name it. I wore open-toed sandals in the fucking WINTER.

The ONLY pharma that worked was TERBINAINE. It worked immediately and my skin flaked off. However it made beer taste like ass and after my 14 day supply was done the fungus came back with a vengeance.

So I think I finally got it licked. With what, you may wonder? Spraying my feet with Lysol disinfectant (early morning breeze if you care) in the morning and slathering them with Vicks VapoRub at night. It worked in two days: the infected skin came off like with the pill and beer still tastes like beer.

I know better than to call victory just yet, but so far so good! I'm also going to spray everything I own, especially climbing shoes.

(not a doctor; don't sue me if you die)

caughtinside

Feb 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #10 of 20 (15757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, that is gross.

This same thing happened to a couple other climbers I know at the creek, we referred to it as 'toe hole' since they developed those nasty weepy holes between the two smallest toes.

Its been a couple years now, but they did find some treatment. It's some bacteria that lives in the ground there? Nasty stuff.

I cleaned my feet out every night with baby wipes, something I try to do on any desert trip.

anarkhos

Mar 1, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #11 of 20 (15752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] DEEP ring-pinky toe blister going on for SIX MONTHS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe one of the cracks is infected Sly

anarkhos

Mar 26, 2013, 1:19 PM
Post #12 of 20 (14123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dammit, my toe hole is back with a vengeance. Naturally, it came back at the Creek. All that foot jamming I highly suspect.

I'm bumping this thread in case anyone has any better suggestions. Lysol was keeping it under control for a while, but maybe that was a false positive. I've been trying grape seed extract for the last couple weeks to no avail. It really flared up and it's cutting my Creek trip short.

marc801

Mar 26, 2013, 2:30 PM
Post #13 of 20 (14102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anarkhos wrote:
Dammit, my toe hole is back with a vengeance. Naturally, it came back at the Creek. All that foot jamming I highly suspect.

I'm bumping this thread in case anyone has any better suggestions. Lysol was keeping it under control for a while, but maybe that was a false positive. I've been trying grape seed extract for the last couple weeks to no avail. It really flared up and it's cutting my Creek trip short.
Did you ever actually see a real doctor? You mention some prescriptions, but mostly just a bunch of home remedies and guesswork.

anarkhos

Mar 26, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #14 of 20 (14097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, the two doctors weren't of any help.

I'm going to try bunion stickers or something. I think the post about the 'corn' is likely right.

marc801

Mar 26, 2013, 2:57 PM
Post #15 of 20 (14085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anarkhos wrote:
Yea, the two doctors weren't of any help.
Were either of them a podiatrist and/or internal medicine? It sounds like there's both something mechanical going on, which causes the problem, plus you seem dangerously close to severe, possibly debilitating infection. Fungal infections can and have resulted in amputation. This really isn't something to fool around with, and Lysol and Vick's aren't cures.

anarkhos

Mar 26, 2013, 3:21 PM
Post #16 of 20 (14077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, there's a podiatrist on every corner.

There doesn't appear to be anything approaching an infection. It doesn't look like yeast or fungus either (although we all know that stuff is everywhere). It mainly hurts to jam. I've found that putting a wad of cotton above the hole and then taping the digits together alleviates the pain to a great degree.

A friend of mine mentions something similar and he just calls it "grindage" that goes away when he stops climbing.

kpb

Mar 26, 2013, 3:55 PM
Post #17 of 20 (14065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be really careful with this. I had a persistent callous with a blister under it from running. My attempts to drain it before a marathon resulted in a severe treatment resistant infection (MRSA), 3 days in the ER and a month long painful recovery. I was told it could have been much worse.

marc801

Mar 26, 2013, 4:54 PM
Post #18 of 20 (14051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

anarkhos wrote:
Yea, there's a podiatrist on every corner.
Your profile says you're in Oakridge - that's about 40 miles from Eugene.
https://maps.google.com/...Aw&ved=0COwBELYD

anarkhos wrote:
There doesn't appear to be anything approaching an infection. It doesn't look like yeast or fungus either...

Not every kind of infection is visible (until it's far more difficult to eradicate). Excuse me. You're using random home remedies on an open sore you describe as a "hole" and coming up with excuses about not seeing the appropriate doctor. Sorry. I think your medical differential diagnosis is highly suspect.

amarius

Mar 26, 2013, 6:16 PM
Post #19 of 20 (14032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OP has seen two medical doctors, has mentioned two prescription medications, implied other medicated topical creams.
I am sure that MDs suspected Athlete's foot

Perhaps a dermatological podiatrist or dermatologist would be a better choice?

Edit - WebMD has quite a write-up of fungal infections.

(This post was edited by amarius on Mar 26, 2013, 6:26 PM)

sween345

Mar 26, 2013, 9:41 PM
Post #20 of 20 (13994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the toe socks http://www.injinji.com/
They come in cool max and Nu-Wool.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook