RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

darrell702

Jan 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2598 views)
Shortcut

Hand injury-how can i stay in shape?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About a month ago at my local gym I was doing some bouldering and i pulled on an undercling pretty tight. I had a sharp pain down my left arm. The ring finger and middle also hurt. The next day i felt it in my wrist and forearm. I gave it a week because it was feeling a little better, but not 100%. I figured it would just go away. But here i am a month later and its about the same. I know i should have stopped as soon as it happened but its easier said then done.
So now i really wanna stay away from climbing so that it can heal. I have a gym at my apartments so ive been doing alot of core and leg workouts. My main question is should i totally stay off my hand? Is there anyway to keep my arms and back in shape while the hand heals or am i screwed? Thanks for the help!

shotwell

Jan 13, 2013, 2:14 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darrell702] Hand injury-how can i stay in shape? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darrell702 wrote:
About a month ago at my local gym I was doing some bouldering and i pulled on an undercling pretty tight. I had a sharp pain down my left arm. The ring finger and middle also hurt. The next day i felt it in my wrist and forearm. I gave it a week because it was feeling a little better, but not 100%. I figured it would just go away. But here i am a month later and its about the same. I know i should have stopped as soon as it happened but its easier said then done.
So now i really wanna stay away from climbing so that it can heal. I have a gym at my apartments so ive been doing alot of core and leg workouts. My main question is should i totally stay off my hand? Is there anyway to keep my arms and back in shape while the hand heals or am i screwed? Thanks for the help!

See a doctor. My wife had a similar sounding injury a year ago; she is finally gaining the strength back that she lost during recovery.

Good luck.

brooklynclimber

Jan 14, 2013, 2:42 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, see a doctor, especially if it hasn't gotten better in a month. S/he may recommend pyhysical therapy or other treatments which will help.

darylknezevich

Jan 30, 2013, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the injury is just in the hand and not the forearm you could try hanging webbing loops from a pull up bar and hanging with your wrists caught in the loops. then you could keep your lats and rear deltoids in shape. other than that your forearms get back in shape rather quickly and since you are keeping up with your core and legs you are doing the right thing!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook