Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Infection in toe from climbing shoes????
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

hettingerjm

Jun 3, 2013, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2964 views)
Shortcut

Infection in toe from climbing shoes????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, been lurking a while. Finally registered because a doctor told me not to climb until my foot was better, and need some advice.

Basically, my big toe got all purple and swollen around the nail for no reason. No visible cut. Not an ingrown. THe doctor believes bacteria from my shoes got under the cuticle and it caused an infection. He told me to start wearing socks while climbing and not climb for 10 days.

Has ANYONE ever dealt with us? Do you spray your shoes with any kind of athletes foot/Bacteria killer type of thing?
Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

brinosaur

Jun 3, 2013, 5:58 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hettingerjm] Infection in toe from climbing shoes???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've picked up minor infections just under the big toe nail multiple times. It typically happened after marathon days in shoes that were far too tight or when trying to 'break in' shoes that my feet had no business being squeezed into in the first place.

I doubt it was bacteria from you shoes that caused the problem, but rather, it was bacteria that were already on your feet/toes that were trapped or forced under your nail. Pressure and irritation to the big toe is to be expected when climbing, and this likely exacerbates or helps to initiate an infection.

To help prevent future infections I'd suggest taking care of your feet, rather than simply trying to disinfect your shoes or wearing socks. Give the following a try:

-Make sure your shoes aren't too tight. If you enjoy the masochism of mega-tight fitting shoes, get a looser-fitting secondary pair for slopping about in the gym or warming up and save the tight ones for serious projecting etc. etc.

-Buy a can of lysol or hospital-grade disinfectant spray to treat your shoes after climbing and allow them to dry. Don't spray them before climbing, as the chemicals can be fairly toxic and absorbed through your skin. Dr. Scholl's will not suffice.

-Wash your feet/toes before and after climbing if you're at a gym with a shower or foot wash. Use antibacterial soap.

-If you're climbing outdoors, wipe your big toes (site of most pressure/irritation in climbing shoes) down with an isopropyl alcohol or prep pads before and after climbing. Pay special attention to the perimeter of the nail.

-If you have any kind of injury around the toenail (hangnails, trimmed nails too close, etc) don't climb, wear looser shoes, or if you must, try socks. Again, disinfect, disinfect, disinfect.

-Avoid trimming your toenails right before climbing. If you must, don't trim them ultra-close. A file may be a better choice than a clipper when assaulting your big toes.

Your mileage may vary, as it will with most internet forum medical advice from strangers with no medical credentials. Good luck, and happy climbing.

hettingerjm

Jun 3, 2013, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] Infection in toe from climbing shoes???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AWESOME. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

tutunice

Jun 5, 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hettingerjm] Infection in toe from climbing shoes???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Use DryPointe and your climbing shoe will stay dry. This will starve bacteria since they need humid warm places to grow. http://www.facebook.com/DryPointeShoeInserts

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook