RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

acadaca

Apr 13, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Sore index finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. I did a fairly crimpy climb in the gym without feeling any pain other than tired fingers. It was the last climb of the night. When I got home I noticed my finger was a little sore. Five days later it is still sore, but not super painful. Most of the time when it is straight I don't even notice it. The discomfort comes from bending the finger and it hurts when I make a fist. Both the curling in and releasing are painful. It seems as though the pain is emanating from the knuckle upwards. If I make a tight fist my finger cracks. Almost every time. This never used to happen and it doesn't seem to affect the pain. I skipped a climbing session and have been trying to figure out whether I should buddy tape it during the day. It is my index finger. It doesn't hurt enough to make a visit to the doctor necessary. It also doesn't seem to be bruised and it feels the same as the finger on my other hand. Possibly mildly swollen, but it's hard to tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

marc801

Apr 13, 2013, 5:39 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acadaca] Sore index finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acadaca wrote:
Hi. I did a fairly crimpy climb in the gym without feeling any pain other than tired fingers. It was the last climb of the night. When I got home I noticed my finger was a little sore. Five days later it is still sore, but not super painful. Most of the time when it is straight I don't even notice it. The discomfort comes from bending the finger and it hurts when I make a fist. Both the curling in and releasing are painful. It seems as though the pain is emanating from the knuckle upwards. If I make a tight fist my finger cracks. Almost every time. This never used to happen and it doesn't seem to affect the pain. I skipped a climbing session and have been trying to figure out whether I should buddy tape it during the day. It is my index finger. It doesn't hurt enough to make a visit to the doctor necessary. It also doesn't seem to be bruised and it feels the same as the finger on my other hand. Possibly mildly swollen, but it's hard to tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

http://bit.ly/126isZ2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climber%27s_finger

http://climbinginjuries.com/fingers-pulleys/

http://www.climbing.com/skill/finger-fixes/

acadaca

Apr 13, 2013, 5:55 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Sore index finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. I did google it before and I have read quite a bit about it. I just haven't been able to figure out which, if any, of those injuries it might be. I only found reference to a popping noise when the injury happened. I am not not sure how to tell the difference between a crack or a pop, but I didn't hear anything during my climb, only now. Most of the taping comments are about whether or not and how to tape while climbing. The only one that mentioned buddy taping during the day was the collateral ligament injury. I realize that it is impossible to diagnose someone over the internet, but I was just wondering if anyone had a better idea than I as to what is going on. I also realize that it sounds like I couldn't be bothered to look it up myself, but I really have spent a couple hours reading up on it.

soyshadymilkman

Apr 13, 2013, 9:59 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acadaca] Sore index finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right, there is absolutely no way to get a Dx online, especially in an online forum. Recommendation? Go to an orthopedist or physical therapist and get it checked out - probably nothing severely wrong with it yet but they can give you a much better idea and prophylactive exercises relative to your actual injury to help instead of guessing and checking with WebMd and RC.com medical advice.

The internet is never a good (primary) source for medical advice - coming directly from someone in the medical field.

(This post was edited by soyshadymilkman on Apr 13, 2013, 9:59 PM)

acadaca

Apr 14, 2013, 5:26 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soyshadymilkman] Sore index finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook